1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Food] Golden Chick Opening Houston Location

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SuraGotMadHops, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Cane's is legit and undoubtedly a level above Golden Chick, Chicken Express and those bland chicken joints. Don't sleep on Popeyes strips, they are top freakin notch. But I maintain to this day that the best chicken strips in town can be found at Pappadeaux. I know, who the hell goes to a seafood restaurant and orders chicken strips? Well I have a seafood allergy and it was my parents' favorite restaurant growing up so it turned me on to them.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

one of my sons orders a combination of fried crawfish and chicken tenders at pappadeaux. good stuff.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Mom wouldn't take you? Or Uber? Moober?

4. Buck Turgidson

My favorite meal at the cajun place up here is a fried leg and thigh and a bowl of gumbo. Dip the fried chicken in the gumbo, as needed.

MadMax likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I have had fried chicken all over the USA (and world).

The best quality chicken I have had was at a place called White Fence Farms in Romeoville Illinois. It has been around nearly 100 years and has only one location. The chicken is not heavily spiced but it is incredibly good. There is not comparison when it comes to quality. It is a sit down restaurant that seats 100's of people.

Harold's Chicken Shack in Chicago is also very good but you risk being killed or assaulted and they won't always give you change.

Fried chicken on the West Coast and in the North East is garbage.

Popeyes is the best chain (better than Gus').

I still like Hartz, Church's, Chick n Spice and others.

KFC, Chester's and any chain on the West Coast are just terrible.

Bojangles, PDQ and RC are meh.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I used to order the roasted chicken at Pappadeaux, and substitute it being fried....... it was one of the 2-3 best pieces of chicken I have had.... added a side of red beans and rice and mashed potatoes.

7. Buck Turgidson

For @MadMax

I do like spicy chicken, so I'm not allowed to cook it for the old people around here. Gotta have 2 pans.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I STRONGLY prefer spicy chicken......... but White Fence Farm is the best chicken I have ever had. They know it is good, that's how they can charge like $20 a person for half a chicken.

9. Buck Turgidson

I watched Granny when I was about 4 years old go into the chicken coop and bring one out, grab the hatchet, etc.... I didn't really know where chicken came from until that day. It's a messy but delicious process.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  10. Nero

Nero Member

honestly... buy some chicken breasts at the store, put them in a ziplock, flatten them a bit with a roller... cut them into strips, season with salt and pepper..
    then dip in flour, then into egg wash, then into some seasoned panko.. then into the oil for a few minutes

if you do it right, oh my, nobody is selling you fast-food strips better than that!

11. SuraGotMadHops

Chicken breast cut into strips is just not the same as true "chicken strips" "chicken fingers" or "chicken tenders" per se, it's got to be the actual tenderloin, the underside of the breast bone. A strip cut from the actual breast aint the same.

likestohypeguy and donkeypunch like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hartz was a chain. I remember on the last day of high school, we all went to the one in Missouri City off of Cartwright road, I think. About 20 of us got out and started eating chicken faster than they could make it and then proceeded to act like idiots in the parking lot, so they called the cops. We had to leave.... very slowly and full.

If you're a Houston fried chicken gangster, though, you have to remember a chain by the name of Ron's Krispy Fried Chicken. Chicken so greasy, you could change your oil with it. Even Long John Silver would say "damn!" looking at all the grease at Ron's.

jiggyfly and Torn n Frayed like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to like Popeye's, and it's probably still my favorite chain, but after trying chicken around Tennessee/Nashville, I just don't think it can hold a candle. I like spicy chicken, and by spicy, I mean hot as hell, and Popeye's doesn't really qualify, although I do like the spices they use. I loved the Gus' I tried in Memphis - way more than any Popeye's. I also love real Nashville hot chicken from places like Prince's, Helen's, Pepperfire, etc. I've never eaten at Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans, but I've heard they have good chicken. But, to be honest, I'd put all these several levels above places like Golden Chick or Chicken Express, at least from what I've heard.

Nook likes this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Nashville hot is good chicken. So is Gus's. Try Jacques Imos if you're ever in New Orleans, that stuff is good.

Nook likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just re-confirmed what I already knew- Chicken Express is the **** and now they offer spicy tenders.

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

West Coast definitely varies, but it's not garbage depending on where you are. South Central and West LA have some decent places along with the famous (or they are over there) Howlin' Ray's, Dave's Hot Chicken, and Yardbird.

I like Street's in Dallas over Mike's.

Nook likes this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Well, first it was a Del Taco, then a Golden Chick. This spot is now a teahouse called 7 Leaves Cafe.

18. Asian Sensation

I always wondered why my Granny hated chicken when I was growing up. I didn’t realize until much later it was because of that process. Did your Granny hate chicken too or nah?

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, a fried chicken joint!!

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They've almost caught up with the number of Marvel movies in any given month. :D

Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.