1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You know how Fast and The Furious transitioned over its series from semi realistic to super hero farcical? For better or worse, the John Wick universe is going the same way. It's still fun but it's mostly style.... almost trying too hard to be cool at times.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

These have always been about ridiculous action with stunning sets... not sure how 3 is any different than the first two in that regard.

donkeypunch likes this.
  3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I liked 3. I think the world itself, the John Wick Universe, is much more stylish and farcical than 1. The first was a normal world with crazy action in it.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Ah, ok, thought you were referring moreso to the action. I agree on the world and seemingly everyone being in on it / ignoring what's going on around them.

Jontro likes this.
  5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Liked it quite a bit. Really psyched about John being pissed off along with that other guy. Sets up for a seriously awesome JW4.

Jontro likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh shiiiiiii....! so this sets up a jw4?

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I liked that with each successive movie, we've been taken further and further down the rabbit hole. More and more of the curtain is pulled back on this world of the assassin's guild and in this installment, we learn more of his backstory too. And despite all the awesomely excessive violence, it never gets tiring because they find new inventive ways to wow us. That said, I still think the first one is my favorite because of the simplicity of it all. It was just a former assassin seeking retribution for his dog and car, and all that it had come to represent.

If I had one complaint, it was that the final act's hand-to-hand combat was a bit underwhelming.
    Being familiar with Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian from The Raid movies and Mark Dacascos as well, I knew Keanu Reeves was completely outmatched. Hard to suspend my disbelief that he would be able to win those fights.

Though I do worry that, at some point, the concept will become tiresome, we're not there yet. There's still lots left to mine.

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  8. PatBev

PatBev Member

I figured it was the last one but now want to see a fourth

I really like the aspect of how much class, order, loyalty, and overall principle goes into being a hit man in the John wick universe

I would rather watch these than a James Bond movie. Those go to far up their own asses in trying to win an award or something. Just like the fast and furious franchise, I could get high and watch that **** all day because it’s just pure entertainment

9. OkayAyeReloaded

Each individual fight scene could carry a normal action movie, the visuals and variety, Halle Berry and the dogs were great too.

I thought this was one of the best pure action movies I've seen. In comparison to other strictly action films I think it ranks up there.

jcf and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

loved it. The choreography was amazing.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  11. VanityHalfBlack

My John Wick ranking:

1. John wick 3
    2. john wick
    3. john wick 2

Jontro, Uprising and B-Bob like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The whole desert isht was a bunch of What?

Rocket River

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Iron chef homie trying to be funny and Sinead O Conners non existent acting were very tiresome.

I want my doggos to love me like that bully loves John.

My only complaint was on the first horse and bike scene- why the fuq didnt they just shoot him in the back? They drove up to him and let him disarm their own guns to get pew pewd by. Huh?

Poor Boban. Rip breh. And did Halle think she was doing him an injustice with that backwash? I woulda slurped that.

VanityHalfBlack and Jontro like this.
  14. Nero

Nero Member

John Wick 4 announced for 2021 :)

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

Seriously, is John Wick going to brutalize the assassins' assisted living community? Walker-fu? Finding a way to kill adversaries with stiff banana pudding?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

when are we going to get the prequels? How he grew up to be such a bad a$$.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I watched it on Sunday.
    Kept me entertained the whole time but it would be somewhat realistic if the villains even had a minor scrape or cut after getting thrown into glass 40 times. Just saying.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wait........you're saying he wasn't killed in the third movie?

Or maybe they're going to Jason Voorhees him? Open grave, iron stake, bolt of lightning.......?

I enjoy these films, although he might save precious seconds and bullets by maybe not having to shoot two in the sternum, one in the head for each victim.

20. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah but you gotta make sure man! Didn't you see Zombieland? Double-Tap! Or in John Wick, Quadruple-Tap!

justtxyank likes this.