1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a used Mustang

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, May 12, 2019.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

im thinking of buying a 2018 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible. $22,300 , 37k miles. It was previously a rental. Does this seem like a good buy? No factory navigation or 12 inch instrumentation cluster.

Also, do any of you have experience adding factory navigation after purchasing. I’ve seen YouTube videos where this can be done, however I don’t know if dealers can install.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Never buy a rental -- ever.

dachuda86, Jontro, Andre0087 and 4 others like this.
  3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd stay away from a rental. Could you imagine how many people abused that car? Bad bad idea.

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This... Especially with that mileage.. If it were a insanely low miles, maybe... But I don't like rentals, and even though I work on cars I don't want to deal with someone else's crazy weekend, where they decided to take the car and do donuts in the parking lot... going reverse into gear with out stopping, all the stuff you wouldn't do to your own car etc..

If it were insanely cheap and it was your dream car, and you wouldn't care if in needed major repairs (since you would do them and save on the labor)... Maybe, but 37k on 2018 model, no

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Nope, needs a V8.

ThatBoyNick, Rasheed, Nook and 3 others like this.
  7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not anti rental and have owned a couple with great luck. With that being said, they were Volvos and had much lower mileage so factory warranty was still on the table.
    To me, a mustang rental just screams “this car has been run to hell”. If someone is purposely paying the upgrade for a rental mustang, you know they are going to be a-holes to the car.

Jontro likes this.
  8. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

To add. I’d be buying from Carvana, which they mentioned as having a stringent inspection process.

9. Asian Sensation

That’s a lot of miles for a 2018.

Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It doesn't matter what they state (as far as inspection), I'm very pro-Ford (at least their trucks/mustangs), but... this is way too many miles on an '18.

Unless they're backing it up with one of those old style carmax warranties for free then it might not be a good idea.

11. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

It seems as if you are already set on buying it. I would avoid that car with a 10 foot pole. Too many miles, Fleet history, and it is not fully equipped. Learn from your elders

Sajan, Zboy and Astrodome like this.
  13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

This one?
    https://www.carvana.com/search/2000269974/2018-ford-ecoboost-premium-convertible-2d-

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Convertible of any type is a bad idea.

Sajan likes this.
  15. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

Yeah thats the one. This would mostly be a weekend cruiser and I would get the extended warranty.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think it's a great deal. Search on CarGurus and trucar for similar make and models.

CarGurus has better filtering and will tell you what a great deal versus a bleh rental deal.

Supply is generally huge that you can choose a one owner car

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I barely have more miles on my 2015 than that one has.

18. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Not to pile on, but also why do you need the factory nav system, particularly if it costs $$$ to install after-market? My vehicle has the factory nav and literally I haven't used it in years ... it goes obsolete quickly and costs money to update annually (with Toyota at least). Any late-model car should have Apple CarPlay or something similar where you can use your phone's services instead.

19. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

I highly recommend you message beloved member SpaceCityKid on his thoughts regarding Mustangs as well as advice on how to take care of daughters.

dachuda86 likes this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Three reasons not to buy it:

1) Rental

2) Used Mustang

3) Out of warranty

That being said, it is your money and you are free to spend it on a headache.

dachuda86 and RKREBORN like this.