1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

We have Chris Paul to do just that. No one is harder on James Harden than he is on himself. Look at year to year improvements. Do you think a coach made that difference? Harden wants to be great, and he knows what the team needs. Will soon find out what he wants, because you know, this team is built around Harden.

s3ts likes this.
  2. mastan

mastan Member

When was the last time Morey recruited someone who was his main target?

smp, BasketMAD, cheke64 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I'm all in for Butler and I am all in for taking advantage of Philly blowing things up if they lose game 7. Even if we can't get Butler, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a team we could get to take on Paul's contract.

4. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You guys are still doing this. Enough with the bullshit excuses. Capela is unplayable against the Warriors? Why did he get so many minutes? Gerald Green can't play a lick of defense? Why did he get even a second of playing time in the 4th quarter?

Zergling, Mr Chuck Norris and mastan like this.
  5. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

I know, right? For all the hype he gets, it's mostly because he gets something out of nothing, not necessarily that he's able to get a really talented squad together. I don't care what great deals he pulled off. If they didn't pan out, then he didn't execute his job.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Is it true James was spotted at a specs liquor store after the game?

mastan likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Judging by these playoffs and Butlers conduct with Minnesota, I'll pass on Butler. I think we need better glue guys and build better bench kind of similar to what Milwaukee is doing.

9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Butler can block out and grab rebounds which the Rox can't do consistently so why not

10. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

That worries me too but I think he's worth the headache with the mentality and talent he can bring to the team. He can bring scoring other than James that we didn't get these last two years.

I think the biggest thing, and I know it may be almost impossible, is moving the Paul contract to be able to add that depth. I like what Milwaukee has built but they are very dependent on Giannis. I think we will see that when they meet Golden State in the finals. I don't want to build a team that is solely dependent on just one guy.

MIAGI99 likes this.
  11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I really can't remember...

mastan likes this.
  12. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Butler isn’t tall enough. Don’t want.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

What’s the source? The game ended long after 9:00 pm so he was at a Spec’s today? If he went today he probably ran into a number of Rockets fans.

14. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

Rockets under MDA lacked disciplines. He is too nice and too chill to tell Harden/CP3 to get their shat together and play the right way. As a fan, you never know which team you will get in the next game. One day they look locked in and have their butts on fire, then the very next game they look reckless and miserable. To me, that’s bad coaching - you need to get your team mentally and physically ready.

Players like Harden, who lacks self-drive to begin with (I wouldn’t worry about Jordan/Kobe, those guys do not need any further outside motivation), the coach has to pump in extra fuel to get them fired up before big games. MDA just doesn’t seem to do that. Never see any team play that loose in an elimination game. It’s painful to watch

Little Bit likes this.
  15. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

How are you so sure he lacks self drive? Do you know him personally? Didn’t think so.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Kawhi
    Tucker
    Butler
    Harden
    CP3

[​IMG]

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I didn't say he lacks self drive, but that's a silly thing to say. We don't know any NBA players personally, that doesn't mean we don't analyze them based on their body of work. We judge Hakeem and Jordan and LeBron and Curry and we don't know any of them either.

18. 281Texan

281Texan Member

MDA has made a lot of really poor calls that put us in a very bad position. I hate that he’s always lackadaisical and everything’s fine. Don’t need to make any adjustments to getting boards or personnel groupings. I love Moreyball analytics and I’m 110% in on it, because it works when it’s ran effectively. However, that does not have to translate to iso ball. That does not translate to James harden taking plays off and being disinterested when it counts.

However, if you fired him, who’s realistically going to replace him? Kenny Atkinson is my ideal coach for this team, because they have a similar offensive approach analytically to the game, but he’s out of the question. I think you have to roll with MDA another year. It’s not like his whole body of work has been bad. He’s a former and recent COY, but his unwillingness to dip into his bench and his in game adjustments will likely keep him from ever winning a championship here.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

look at the difference for Curry and GS playing for Steve Kerr as opposed to playing for Mark Jackson...coaching can make a big difference

Curry literally went from not a top 10 player to MVP, and the Warriors went from 51 wins and a 1st round exit to 67 wins and a title

MDA doesn’t draw up any plays or make any in-game adjustments...he’ll just leave the team out there to jack up any three or waste away possessions...they lack direction throughout the game IMO

Can we get a post up play for Harden or CP3? Maybe a curl play for EG? Idk, anything instead of always ISO mismatch hunting and drive and kick out for threes or alley oops to Capela?

McHale was a trash coach, but he would at least have some plays for Harden in the post, or have him come off a few screens. Harden had a more diverse game. He would utilize the midrange. Harden is now all ISO, and his usage rate has gotten ridiculous. Harden was getting assisted on over 50% of his threes under McHale, but under D’antoni it’s gone down drastically to the point he’s getting assisted on only 16% of his threes. Our offense has turned into the Harden ISO show and trying to jack up 50 threes.

20. malakas

malakas Member

It's easy to say fire MDA but there's really no good coach available. SVG? Jackson? I rather we keep MDA instead of them.

As for Messina he has had serious problems managing the lockeroom in Europe I can't imagine how he could get CP3 to listen to him.

At least for Butler things look better even though Philly is still alive in the race.
    Rondo said on tv a few days ago that Butler will be leaving Philly. Maybe he was just bullshitting but at least its a positive sign.

mikol13 and Vivi like this.