1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYT: Trump Says He Will Sign Free Speech Order for College Campuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Mar 3, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Perhaps you did not here, but "hateful" and "racist" are terms that the left uses to shut down conversation that it doesn't like. So my mentioning both of those mechanisms is relevant here.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

College professor retires from UW Madison. Says that voicing disagreement at Wisconsin was like "pooping in the pool":

UW-Madison is a “liberal bubble,” according to long-time history professor John Sharpless.

“Openly disagreeing with people here is like pooping in the pool,” says Sharpless. “They turn around and give you this dagger look. I had Republican students in my classes who said they white-knuckled their way through discussions in other classes. They never felt they could say anything.”

For 43 years, Sharpless taught history to generations of UW students, some having experienced the first moon landing, Watergate and Ronald Reagan’s election. On March 26, UW’s Center for the Study of Liberal Democracy and the History Department will honor the recently retired professor, his teachings and his leadership, at a private party.​

https://isthmus.com/news/news/iconoclastic-uw-madison-history-professor-john-sharpless-retires/

for the record, I believe that pooping in the pool is a Bad Thing.

cml750 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So, I didn't write anything of race or racism, but you still thought about it so you raised it in a response to my post. If others post about it, then it would be relevant to responses to those posts, not to mine.

4. cml750

cml750 Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What does this have to do with the discussion at hand? How are dagger looks taking away your right to free speech here?

Just because people may not like what you say, or be receptive to listening to it - doesn't mean you are having any kind of right infringed upon.

biff17 likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...y_campus_told_he_is_encouraging_violence.html

Perhaps they are worried the dagger looks could escalate?
    [​IMG]

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

it's no big deal!!

cml750 likes this.
  8. cml750

cml750 Member

lol. That was a great movie!!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Madison, WI, has been a liberal hot bed for a century or more. I believe it is a university town. But like a lot of these places, the liberal/SJW zeitgeist has probably been dialed up to 11 or more, in the past 5 years or so.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, hateful and racist conversation or otherwise known as conservatism these days.

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

You are correct. You have not written anything about "racism" here (nor anywhere else, that I can recall).

I'm just trying to state that this is the technique (or a primary method) that the left uses to shut down speakers they don't like. It does relate to the larger issue. Perhaps I was not as clear as I could be on that point.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

wasn't sure which thread to put this in

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"HereWeDo"?

Good lord help us please.

17. Nook

Nook Member

People have entirely too much time on their hands in the USA.