1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It’s amazing to me that Stephen Curry seems to always get a pass by the media

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RetroRockets, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

He's won 3 championships and is the heartbeat of one of the best teams of all time over the last 4 years. That buys you a pass on bad games. No different than when Jordan or Lebron or Magic had bad games after establishing their success in the league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

but why

usually when you play bad, you get critisized

i bet hardens game will be the topic on first take tommorow and not currys

3. bj3175

bj3175 Member

hARDEN IS hATED AND cURRY IS LOVED. The NBA=popularity contest

4. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

I have NEVER seen a superstar as coddled and protected as Stephen Curry.. NEVER

Jordan got heat and was seen as a guy who would never be able to make his teammates better and struggled getting by those pistons teams

Magic Johnson was labeled tragic johnson after choking in the finals to the celtics

and LeBron might be the most critisized athlete in sports history

Again.. curry is protected and is never called out for his poor play. That is not normal, if you are the best player in the league as some on twitter like to call him. Why does he never recieve blame when the warriors lose and gets all of the credit when they win. Durant was killed just last week in the media after a 1 poor game and responded like a man. Curry has never been in that situation, i rememeber in the 2016 series againist the thunder the media was using the injury excuse when he was getting badly outplayed by westbrick

rgw20014life likes this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Partially manufactured super star.

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

bj3175 likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

But I don't think Harden will get that much criticism at all, since at the end of the game he played well and the Rockets won. The national story for the Rockets is that Harden had an off night but his teammates were able to step up and he was able to recover and make some big plays in the fourth quarter. The national story for the Warriors is that the Warriors are stacked and even with Curry having an off night they have two other elite scorers who can pick up the slack.

Harden does have a worse reputation as a playoff performer compared to Curry. So I agree that his bad games will often be magnified -- particularly if they result in a loss. The Warriors team success -- winning 3 out of the last 4 championships -- probably insulates Curry from getting similar heat when his team loses a game here or there with him playing poorly.

8. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

- boyish good looks
    - branded as an underdog (how??)
    - wife with some level of celebrity
    - adorable daughter
    - unbelievable shooter
    - winner on the court
    - that HILARIOUS shimmy that your mom loves (he's having so much fun!)
    - small school blah blah blah
    - UA marketing him as a great guy ( that whole bs story about him getting a letter from a little girl and saying "hey why don't girls have basketball shoes?"

He gets a pass because he's everything that casual fans of the game want him to be.

Deuce likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He absolutely gets a pass. I have maintained for quite some time he is #TeflonCurry.

Bad game? They ask if he is injured.

He benefits from being protected by pitbulls in Draymond Green and Iggy. And he benefits from the GRAVITY of Thompson and KD. Replace those guys with average replaceable players where a defense can COMPLETELY LOCK IN on Curry....let's see how he would do.

Curry is also cocky as hell and gets a pass ON ALL OF IT. Where is Kornheiser wanting to punch him in the teeth like he was talking about Harden the other day?

lilbird20 likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would counter - he doesn't get *the full effect of drawing defensive attention* as defenses have to deal with Thompson and KD as well.
    I would counter - the "amount of gravity Thompson and KD open up for Curry is big."

Juxtapose that with Harden. Defensives 100% key in on him. And he doesn't have as many *gravity* players like Thompson and KD.

lilbird20 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m a little amazed at how quiet it is today considering