1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are the Warriors so unlikable?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sajan, Apr 16, 2019.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Bogut, Andrew.

2. Major

Major Member

They are unlikable because they've bounced the Rockets out of the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and have won 3 championships. And that Curry is loved in a way that Rockets fans wish Harden was. That's it.

Any team that wins a lot is unlikeable because they've beaten a lot of other teams. But they aren't nearly as unlikeable to the generic NBA fan as they are specifically to Rockets fans. They are probably more likeable than similar dynasties in other sports (Red Sox, Yankees, Patriots, etc). Spurs had Duncan so they were a fairly likeable dynasty as well. Astros would be fairly likeable if they turn into a dynasty as well.

snowconeman22 and durvasa like this.
  3. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

They're disliked here because they're not the Rockets and they're successful.

No one blasting them can honestly say they hate Harden for his celebrations, or the Rockets when they're swaggering, or that if Morey had been successful in his attempts to build a superteam, the players joining would be p*****s afraid of competition. Morey for years (going back before the Warriors became great) had a plan to build assets and eventually cash them into a group of stars. Yet the Warriors add one outside superstar to a homegrown core and they're assholes.

The Warriors are no more or less likeable a set of humans than any other NBA team. If Houston had built the team Golden State did instead, we'd love Curry, Durant, Green, Thompson and Bogut. Let's be real.

And if the current Warriors were replaced by the 1990s Chicago Bulls, and those Bulls were eliminating the Rockets on the regular, there would be just as much hatred for them. That's just how sports tribalism works--you love your team, hate the teams that beat them and you figure out the reasons for why those other teams are such detestable people afterwards.

Major and durvasa like this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Way to ignore everything else though...it's not just about winning/superstars. There are other things that irks fans.

5. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I didn't ignore those things. I mentioned them and noted that you (general you, but probably specifically you too) ignore them in our team and would love those exact players if they had been Rockets.

6. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

lol because they're the best

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Here you go. This is the type of stuff that infuriates fans. It's not just jealousy like you concluded.

#67 Sajan, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  8. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Objectively sh*tty people on the Warriors:

1. Draymond Green (nut-kicking, never seems to shut up, can complain all he wants without getting a technical or thrown out)
    2. Steve Kerr (his flopping act and frequent smug criticisms of the rockets)
    3. Joe Lacob (thinks he is smarter and better than everyone else in the league)
    4. Durant (Choosing to go to the Warriors, burner twitter accounts, can't even be content after winning a championship)

The sh*tty way the media covers the Warriors:

1. Steph Curry (never held accountable for his playoff shortcomings, gets any all injury excuse for any bad performance, gets the biggest "free pass" of any basketball player I've seen just because he's a "family guy")
    2. Kerr is some sort of basketball savant/mastermind. A f***king potato could coach this team to a championship
    3. Their emphasis on "ball movement" and "beautiful passing". The reason the Warriors are so good is because they run around like little chickens for 15-20 seconds, and then either Curry, Klay, or Durant hits a ridiculously contested shot that goes in, and the announcers are like "what beautiful ball movement to set that shot up". They get credit for being a "true team" that plays the "right way" despite an embarrassing overload of talent, I've never seen anything like it. Literally any reasonable "system" that you plug that many all stars into would look amazing

snowconeman22, B-Bob and Sajan like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They blatantly foul and then outrageously complain

snowconeman22 and B-Bob like this.
  10. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

The refs is always on their side.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

To your last point, I have wondered what that team could do if they adopted The Rockets shot selection and dumped most of their mid range for more 3s.

But as a Rockets fan im glad they don’t, because I don’t think it would make things easier for us.

12. Rocketeer4Life

Steve Kerr is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Dude is the biggest douche and does it passive aggressively as mentioned by OP. In other words, dude is a coward two faced politician.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. riko

riko Member

Funny thing is the way people talk about him like he is the pope or something. It’s obvious that the guy is two faced jackass

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Know what's worse than a poor loser ?

A bad winner

There warriors have been gifted with the talent , luck , and fortune of winning .... but the second they don't catch every break it's like someone shot their mother .

Sajan likes this.
  15. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

My point wasn't that it was "jealousy," my point was that it's tribalism. If the Warriors were complaining about the officiating and D'Antoni or Harden or someone else on the Rockets mocked them, would you be saying, "Wow, we're a super unlikeable team?" I sincerely doubt it--you'd probably be cheering on the Rockets tweaking those entitled Warriors.

Let's be honest--our team is awesome, they're awful. That's true no matter who does what. Personally, I ignore the noise and focus on the basketball. Getting caught up in why everyone else is awful and persecuting our group of saints doesn't make the game more fun for me. But everyone is different.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

The topic of discussion is not whether we are likeable or whether we should criticize ourselves.

What do the Rockets do that are similar to the warriors that we are blindly ignoring? Does our players run around pointing at refs? Does D'antoni mock Curry by coming to an interview with his mouth guard hanging out? Do our players have burner accounts to defend themselves?

17. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

This thread is misguided, myself included. I just saw a linked from Doug gottlieb titled "Why we hate the Rockets".

We suddenly get slandered as a sleazy organization because of the report that our team submitted to ESPN referring to WCF Game 7 2018.

18. Major

Major Member

Rockets are realistically the single whiniest team in the league. In particular, Harden, Paul, and Gordon raise their hands in disbelief and complain after virtually every play - not just in the Warriors series, but all the time. It was ridiculous how much they did it in the Jazz series. And multiple times a game, they seem to get caught sitting back and complaining while opponents run a fast break on them. Regardless of whether it's justified or not, no one likes to see incessant whiners.

RocketDream likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance