1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things to do around Marble Falls

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jugdish, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

We're a couple heading to an AirBNB on Lake LBJ in Marble Falls for Easter weekend, and we've done no planning aside from that. Looking for advice on hikes (especially ones we can take our dog on), springs, water sports, barbecue, and sights in the area. TIA

2. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Hidden Falls adventure park if you have a 4WD or ATV. Lots of trails, nice scenery.

Jugdish likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

torr na lochs winery for good wine and a good view of two lakes. Not dog friendly though as they had a few people bring in unruly pets. They have sweet dogs.

Jugdish likes this.
  4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

not too far at all from:

Longhorn Caverns

Colorado Bend State Park / Gorman Falls

you'll be about 55 minutes away from Enchanted Rock

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

The Real New Orleans Style Restaurant has good cajun food and good fried chicken. Family that runs it was displaced by Katrina and settled in the area.

Hidden Falls Adventure Park also rents ATVs if you don't own and it's a great piece of property to explore.

Buck Turgidson and Jugdish like this.
  6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I highly recommend the Blue bonnet Cafe for breakfast.

http://www.bluebonnetcafe.net/home

I'm not a huge fan of their lunch/dinner food, although its OK. They really shine with breakfast (biscuits and gravy on point) and their pies. We always eat a late breakfast and take a pie to go.

7. droxford

droxford Member

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

My sister lived in Marble Falls for over a decade and we never once went to Bluebonnet Cafe. It's kind of become a running joke now.

One of these days I guess we'll go, but I don't really have a reason to go to Marble Falls anymore.

9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I second this. It's a must stop on the way back from Austin. It's worth the wait.

Jugdish likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, the only thing I ever eat there is a western omelette, hash browns, biscuits & gravy, though there's no way in hell I'm standing in line for it. Their dinner food is mostly reheated Sysco crap, especially the veggies. It's a shame my cousins sold it years ago, they did stuff from scratch.

Hit up the Llano Slab for a nice river hike and swim. It gets crowded, but you can just walk as far as you need to.

If I were you, I'd take the drive to Colorado Bend and do the Gorman Falls hike. Hidden Falls is fun. Wildflowers are everywhere right now and we just got a bunch of rain so everything should be really pretty and green. I'll be chilling at the ranch, bbqing and swimming in the creek.

Real New Orleans and Ginger & Spice (Thai place on Main St) are good places to eat, so is Badu in Llano. Coopers BBQ in Llano or Opies in Spicewood are probably the best 2 bbq joints around, but I rarely eat bbq out so I'm not a good one to ask. Krause Springs is right down the road from Opies, but it'll get crazy crowded on the weekends when the weather's nice.

Other ideas in here: https://www.101highlandlakes.com/

B-Bob and Jugdish like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is what kills it for me. I'm usually ready to head home Sunday when someone gets the idea of "Let's go to Blue Bonnet". As a remedy, I've begun to make pigs in a blanket while others sleep on Sunday mornings. Simple and easy to clean makes for a nice escape back to Houston.

Caveat: I do not like eggs. Those must be some magical eggs for people to endure waiting for something that isn't steak or bbq.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I drive by there on weekends from time to time and laugh at the tourists standing in the parking lot in the heat, waiting an hour for bacon and eggs.

Another thought for Jugdish: not sure if your lakehouse comes with equipment, but my neighbor owns the LBJ Marina & Yacht Club and they do boat/jetski rentals and whatnot. Ask for Gib. http://lakelbjmarina.com/

#12 Buck Turgidson, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Jugdish and Joe Joe like this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Living the good life.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Your cousins owned Blue Bonnet ? Man I haven't gone out there in probably 20 years. That's too bad it's not from scratch any longer... I used to live closer (in Lago) so it was a lot easier to go..

15. Buck Turgidson

Somebody has to do it.

Yeah, they were the original owners I do believe, or close to it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Damn, that's awesome they owned it, the food was really great before, sad to hear that it's changed so much with the newer ownership. Your cousins definitely made that spot a destination location. I'd make the trip often before.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Motorcycle camped at Enchanted Rock one time... great place (and great riding around the area). And if going near/through Llano then Coopers bbq is a great lunch stop. You see and smell the smoke before you get into town...

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I would think just letting the other marble fall would give you balance. But if people really do walk in circles naturally, like in a desert, this could be a course correction the medical community has not considered adequately. The shortest distance between two points therefore would involve having one marble fall, changing all of physics. So now I'm thinking about the universe and black holes. If a black hole were to drop, the space time continuum would become linear.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I find it's best to visit Enchanted Rock on a week day, so that you can intersect with busloads full of obese fourth-graders huffing, puffing, and whining their way up the rocks. Inspiring and a good preview of the future.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

So much this.

Pedernales Falls, South Llano River, and Inks Lake (then when you want to cool off, drive down the road to Longhorn Cavern) are my favorite local State Parks (eta: forgot Colorado Bend, you'd be shocked how crystal clear that river gets), but I don't go to any of them much on the weekends in the summer. Too much riffraff.

Also, @Jugdish: R-Bar downtown MF has good food and a dog friendly patio (or they used to) with live music on occasion on the weekends. If you want to chill by the lake (not sure why, since you have a lakehouse) the River City Grill by the bridge has an outstanding outdoor deck and bar, again with music on occasion. The pork chops (w/asparagus and mashed potatoes is my pick of veggies) are solid, as is the ridiculous green chili cheese fries (or anything with that sauce). If you find yourself in Cottonwood Shores, Hiccups is a great sportsbar with good food.

My blackberries are just now coming on, but the SweetBerry Farm outside of town is a cool place to take a girl or kids, pick your own blackberries, strawberries, etc... Again, crowded on weekends, and I'd call first to see what' up.

"Marble Fallen" is the operative term.

eta: there's a new brewpub in town, Bear King, a buddy told me last night it was good. I do not like the Double Horn Brewery's food, which is a shame since there's a picture of my Double Horn Ranch house on the wall. Haven't been there in a couple of years so maybe that's changed.

#20 Buck Turgidson, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Jugdish likes this.