1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitchell Robinson never heard of Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 7, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think it's the perception that he flops, cheats the game, and manufactures his points. No use in overthinking it.

2. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

He does have good timing and anticipation like Hakeem (not saying as good but better than any current player). I'm a fan of his blocks.

3. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

I kind of get it.. Hakeem is one of the smartest players who has made three times as much money with his outside business ventures like real estate and business development and is actually worth over $300MM.. He has taken no basketball role and moved on to the next phase of his life.. Even now he is always sitting in the front seat as a fan along with Elvin Hayes, and never mingling with the players or creating politics, as a results players don't really know him.. I am pretty sure there are NBA players who haven't heard of players like Karl Malone and John Stockton.. In Utah that would probably be a cardinal sin.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes taken no basketball role? he's part of the rockets player development for big's. He's also training guys like Tacko Fall. he hasn't moved on from basketball and still very much part of it.

5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Why? I mean this from a fan’s perspective only. It’s like obsessing over a old lady who was hot in her 20’s.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

terrible analogy

biff17 and Reeko like this.
  7. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

I stopped watching the Knicks game early for obvious reasons. But I now know why he said this. Guarantee he acted like he doesn’t know who Dream is because of the starters going to the locker room early.

8. SemisolidSnake

How sad. What's wrong with basketball mentors that they don't mention Hakeem to him growing up as a center? Geez, we live in the era of Youtube. He could spend a flight simply watching old videos of Hakeem and leave the plane a better center than when he started. Don't lay too much blame on this kid. Blame the **** out of the adults around him.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I've never heard of Mitchell Robinson and likely won't ever outside of this thread.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. smokieethabear

Let's not Blame Robinson. I'm sure anyone involved with the Knicks franchise wants to forget how Hakeem destroyed them. He averaged about 4 blocks a game in the 94 Finals.

jch1911 and tinman like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stephen A Smith will make $10 Million a year

and thanks to Clutchfans falling for 'yelling out loud' trick

12. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Easy, tell him Hakeem is the man that denied Ewing a championship.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Hey we understand the new generation doesn't care about history

A bunch of Tekashi99 and Lil Xan kids that know nothing about basketball

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

If anyone on Clutchfans doesn't know why it's called "CLUTCH" fans then they are Mitchell Robinsons

Killatron 2000, D-rock and Roc Paint like this.
  15. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

NYK will end up trading him for a bag of chips.

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Great examples hahah I have to co-sign just off that

Ok, Tinman let me get record straight. I’m not a Rockets fan without the Dream. But yea you are right I don’t care about sports history to the point of reverence. You should know the history for sure for respective but why do I need to deify “girls who use to be hot”

17. Handles

Handles Member

This is a sign that he isn't passionate about the game and is only playing to cash checks and gain fame. Not saying this is true, just saying it's a sign. It's ludicrous to me that an NBA player (center especially) wouldn't know who Hakeem is.

Only other possibilities are that he's low IQ, a troll, or misunderstood the question (i.e., low IQ). Any way you look at it it comes off poorly for him imo.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

It's pretty relevant sports history. If you factor in sports medicine and technology, it's a major difference and money.

Back when the NBA wasn't super rich, players would play even if they had bad knees or backs, Now, if Lebron has a hip injury, he's going to sit out for awhile.
    A great example was Ralph Sampson, once he got a major injury, the Rockets of today would have shut him down for the year or more. But the league back then wasn't like that. He kept playing and his injuries got worse and it ruined his career.
    He was an all star.
    They don't do that to All Stars now. Also the rules are designed so people can score more now and not get hurt.
    Hand checking rule changed the game.

Also when people talk about Russell or Chamberlain, keep in mind they played during segregation and couldn't stay in the same hotel or eat at the same restaurants as their teammates . They had it real bad.

Let's face it, the Rockets in Houston were pretty much a band wagon team and town. If we were good people would show up , if we suck they wouldn't.

Les Alexander was considering moving the team to Kentucky (did you know this fact?) when trying to get a new arena for Houston (Toyota Center)

If Dream wasn't Dream, and we sucked. there would be no Houston Rockets. No funding for Toyota Center.

Yeah, Dream is the most important Rocket ever, more important than Harden or Yao .

The team wouldn't be in Houston without him thanks to his winning and UH ties.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He got where he is by height, and not experience or passion. He barely even played ball before he got drafted. Who knows, maybe he didn't even watch or play sports before his growth spurt. That would explain him not knowing one of the best athletes to play his position.

biff17 likes this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Robinson didn't even pick up a basketball until he was in 8th grade. 2011 is when he started playing basketball, long after Hakeem retired.

biff17 likes this.