1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden and Giannis stats against teams over 0.500

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T.MAC, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I'm glad Harden's accuracy from the 3-point shot appear to be back cause he will need it against the Bucks.

saleem likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard not to pick Giannis - best record in the NBA and great offensive and defensive stats. You could argue that the Bucks play in a weaker conference but you can also say that Harden needs a lot more minutes to get his stats.

I think Giannis will get it. It's a shame because Harden got robbed the year before last against Westbrook.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. vci_guy2003

vci_guy2003 Contributing Member

Bearded13 and vlaurelio like this.
  4. vci_guy2003

vci_guy2003 Contributing Member

Guess it's gonna come down to Tuesday night. If Rockets win then Harden gets MVP.

5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Honestly, I will be a little relieved if Giannis wins it, even though I want Harden to. By this time Harden has earned the respect of the media and his peers and stacking MVPs isnt nearly as important as postseason success. Giannis is earlier in his career and can afford to go a few more seasons without advancing in the playoffs.

vci_guy2003 likes this.
  6. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

Lets be real about Giannis.. Giannis is basically what Harden was back in 2016. We knew Harden deserved the MVP, crazy good stats and one of the best records.. Westbrook team record sucked 47 wins, the only thing he had going was historical tripple double.. and we lost out in a not so close vote as he got two third votes.. If NBA is consistent they would award it to Harden.. But Giannis is just as worthy candidate who I think will get it, because Harden hate is absolutely real.. and they will not factor how ridiculous he has been especially with no CP and no Capela, and also putting rockets on his back and bringing them from abyss of second worst record with a good bit of season in.

Hakeemtheking and s3ts like this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If I knew that to be true (that he has done more to contribute to wins) then the MVP question is already settled. We can only try to indirectly ascertain this. It’s not known.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have said it before I really dont care much about the MVP award.

But for those of you here that care a lot about it, Tuesday's game will be the decider.

Whoever has a monster game will have its memory imprinted on the minds of the MVP voters. A bad game by any of the two could do the same.

Like it or not, the voters will think about this game when voting.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that bucks team without giannis led by middleton will still be in the playoffs in the east

while the rockets without harden will be competing for the lottery

everyday eddie and s3ts like this.
  10. H-Town Rockets Guy

Harden is been the best player in the NBA this season. Numbers back it up. If he doesn't win MVP this season, it would be a disgrace.

s3ts likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's an intangible. The mental impact on a collapsing team with chances and injuries being lifted up almost entirely by a star is something that even analysts are starting to realize. Giannis hasn't had to face that.
    Intangibles are never factored into a MVP decision.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Your awe struck because what harden is doing had literally never been done.

Not that one G has been doing had been done either but Harden is like shattering records that no one thought would ever be touched.

He’s the best player in the game he’s the most dominant player in the game and he’s the one player in the game that every coach can’t figure out what do do with.

With G u try and force him to
    Beat u outside.

With harden you just hope he misses shots because he’s scoring from everywhere he’s dictating the game at his pace. His IQ is tops in the game he gets his guys open looks and forces other teams to do the oddest weirdest stuff just to try and throw him off.

I haven’t seen any player do this since Miami Lebron he’s been that special. Dude is clearly the most dominant player in the league and the best player of the last 15 years along with Lebron.

That’s a fact jack.

Nobody can do what harden does except Lebron in Miami.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

minutes and number back up the fact that giannis has alot more help than harden

just look at the total games and minutes played by respective teammates

and the output/production/contribution by respective teammates

saleem and PeterKingX like this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can’t wait for Scott Foster to ref the Bucks Rockets game this week

15. s3ts

s3ts Member

I appreciate putting together the stats. But they fail to tell the story of holding your team together on your back.

Like I said over and over again, Giannis has a lot more help. CP just showed up like a month ago. Before, he was injured and wasn't himself the first few games he was back.

No Capela, EG, CP for such a long duration, keeping this team afloat to compete for a 3rd seed, is freaking amazing.

Giannis ain't doing none of that without the coach and the great role players the Bucks surrounded him with.

While Harden got to WCF twice, nobody shows love. Meanwhile, Giannis ain't even come out the first round in the East and they're trying to say he's the best player.

I am annoyed w people trying to put Giannis over everyone. People need to prioritize their criterias properly, not just base everything off of stats.

Hakeemtheking and everyday eddie like this.
  16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

What? Lol

Giannis is vastly overrated.

Bucks are in the ****ing weak Eastern conference.

They are playing 50+ games against eastern teams, which most of are garbage teams.

s3ts and vci_guy2003 like this.
  17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The biggest help is Bucks in Eastern conference.

18. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I'm sorry, but if a guy has 51 30 plus point games, 27 40 plus point games, 8 50 plus point games and 2 60 plus point games, whilst taking his team from 14th to 3rd (11-14 to a 47-27 record) in a tougher conference..... he deserves MVP. All without having a healthy squad all season.

joshuaao, saleem, vci_guy2003 and 3 others like this.
  19. biina

biina Member

This is overrated - Bucks have a better record than rockets against either conference

20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Nice work. Although, I think it is unfair to compare minutes, percentage, turnover etc between players that play different positions. Physical characteristics of players are also not considered when comparing stats these days. Giannis at C/PF will obviously get high percentage shots due to his length and position. Turnovers will also be less considering he does not have to run the offense. That being said I think Harden has more pressure to get his points, assist and rebounds. From this perspective, Harden has done a better job in my opinion. To top that Harden has also broken all kinds of records this season that Wilt, Kobe, and Jordan held. This in itself puts him in a different class altogether while keeping his team at No. 3 position in the tough Western Conference. Also, let's not forget that he had to carry his team while Capella and CP3 were injured. Harden is a clear MVP this season.

saleem, T.MAC and vci_guy2003 like this.