1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Donovan Mitchell has peaked? Role Player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RudyTBag, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

It's doable though, and they should also get Green from Memphis, him and Conley are making 37M, Utah can match that with Favors, Rubio and Exum or Thabo/Udoh, totally worth it imo, Conley comes with some risks, but he would be a substantial upgrade over Rubio (who's about to expire, not sure they want to pay him), and Green at this point is a better player than Favors.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He still can't shoot from outside (not on an elite level). If he doesn't fix that weakness, it is going to limit him from being among the top players in the league.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Donovan Mitchell Got Advice From James Harden And Dwyane Wade To Overcome Struggles

Donovan Mitchell admitted that he didn't know how to handle expectations heading into his sophomore season in the league.

"Coach [Quin] Snyder stressed to me that this year was going to be a lot different, and it was one thing for me to hear, and another thing for me to go through it. It's one of those things you really have to go through, to experience. They kind of anticipated this happening; I didn't," said Mitchell.

Mitchell added that he received advice from James Harden, Kobe Bryant, and Chris Paul to get to the free-throw line more often.

"Changing my pace and making an effort to get to the free throw line, that's something James [Harden] is great at and Dwyane Wade talked to me about as well. To hear that from them and then trying to follow their advice really helped me get back on track."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26316813/jazz-mitchell-challenges-caught-guard

Vivi, Deuce and King1 like this.
  4. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

lol

[​IMG]

Elephant810 and Jontro like this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He plays for the Jazz.

He sucks by default.

Jake Tower, juanm34 and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Year 1: 16.7 PER - 21 years old
    Year 2: 17.2 PER - 22 years old

Year 3: Is he going to make a jump?

Fantastic player and I love his game, but people seem pretty quick to crown him as the next superstar of the NBA.

7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

He needs to avoid the Rockets at all cost...he looked good against westbrick and Co last year but so has lillard and friends......
    We shall see....

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

2nd yr he’ll be fine. It’s all about attitude. That’s how I knew giannis would be where he is

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

He doesn't have the handles that Wade had. Once he commits in one direction he doesn't crossover, which is why it was so easy for us to guard him. His jumper ain't good enough either. If his shooting doesn't seriously improve in the next five years, he'll go down the Westbrook route.

juanm34 likes this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

He and Victor Oladipo feel like clones of each other. Might be their ceilings...good enough to maybe finish 3rd in a conference, but probably not a title contender with them as the lead scorer.

Problem is, we’ve already seen that Oladipo struggles when not the #1 guy. Got a feeling Mitchell probably would as well.

As an organization, do you risk hoping that either guy ascends to a higher level while most likely being stuck in the middle of your conference? If you’re another team, do you risk pairing him with someone that takes the ball out of their hands?

jboslett and CriscoKidd like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd do the latter if I knew it wouldn't wreck his confidence. If he has that drive to win, he shouldn't care not being the top dog and just work on his deficiencies.

As a Jazz hater, I hope they keep being above average.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Some of y’all are being a little too harsh. Dude is in his second year and already has a playoff series win under his belt.
    He had a really bad series this year but he knows it, and can turn it around.

Harden with Houston didn’t win a series until his third year, and that wasn’t his third year in the league.

He won’t be as good as Harden but to act like someone has peaked or is going downhill after his second year is ridiculous.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Attitude is great, but DMitch is 6-3, and doesn't appear to have the skills that we have seen from other guys at that size.

To me, he doesn't look like a Wade, Harden, Iverson, etc.
    Beard posted a 21.1 PER when he was 22, improving every single year.

Mitchell went from 16.7 to 17.3. Are we sure he is the next "superstar"? Can he even be the 2nd best player on a championship team? The 3rd best?

14. amaru

amaru Member

I think his peak is as an all-star caliber player....not superstar. I still feel this will be the case.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with the bold part, i expect him to be really good going forward though, not sure if a superstar but we'll see...regardless, Jazz need to put someone with more talent around him, he desperately needs a second "star".

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

someone say second star ;)
    [​IMG]

juanm34 likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Let's say offensive star then :D

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He led them to a playoff victory his 1st yr. 5 games of PER shouldn’t skew it

19. Asian Sensation

He’ll get there. He’s only 22 and just finished his second year. Can’t judge him based off this series alone. We gotta credit our own defense ... we played him well and he’s the only true playmaker on his team. Reminds me of Harden and why he struggled in the playoffs prior to CP3 coming. Hell Harden still struggles in the playoffs even with CP3 and a nice supporting cast.

Mitchell is already a much better 3 ball shooter than Wade ever was. Wade was a career 29% 3pt shooter. As a comparison Mitchell basically had the same FG% and 3pt % as Harden this year.

He just needs to keep working hard and improvements/additions to his game will come with time. Future still looks bright.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are right there completey...but...you just named 3 guys that are probably arguably in the top 5 SGs of all time.

He doesn't have the athleticism of wade, doesn't have the PG skills of Harden, and he doesn't have the handle of Iverson...

He's still a pretty good player though and probably a 5x (or more) all-star. I think it's alright that he's not either of those guys, those guys are all generational talents.