1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden Stepback 3 percentage?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Mar 13, 2019.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Just went and looked at his shooting splits for the last 20 games played in each of his seasons here

12/13 - 39/40/84
    13/14 - 46/43/90
    14/15 - 42/36/87
    15/16 - 45/39/84
    16/17 - 45/34/83
    17/18 - 46/30/84

Seems like your post all star shooting slump claim is a little over exaggerated

Richie_Rich and topfive like this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think his percentage has fallen off a cliff post ASB .

To me it's clear he's sluggish .

I don't know why we don't rest him . Apparently in MDA's calculus seeding is more important that having harden at his best .... maybe there is time to do both .

CP3 has shown he can handle point god duties for a night or two .

Our next three games are the suns , timberwolves , and hawks

We can handle them without James

At the VERY LEAST those games should be blowout / "takin' care of business" type wins for us and James should have his lminures significantly reduced .

This is a good opportunity to get shumpert , House , and Clark some extra minutes .

However I'm ducking certain that we are headed for James playing 36+ and pj also playing heavy minutes .

Our coach is content to let our players grind until their wheels fall off

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not one, but two in the last 4 minutes that drove me nuts and could've changed the entire ending.

I'm glad other people are seeing this. Love Harden, not bashing, but even the best player in the game still needs to make good decisions. Drive and kick, mix it up, let CP3 handle it. He was doing well at the rim all game, and the refs were favorable (in spite of the game thread reaction).

BamBam and deb4rockets like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree .... which is why we need to rest him .

MDA will keep playing him heavy minutes to try and work through his slump

RocketRed84 likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hard to lay all of this at MDA's feet, Harden also pushes this to an extent.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh I agree

But I think it's the coaches job to always be looking at the bigger picture .... as a player you focus day to day and the team you play that coming game .

Harden is a grinder . But MDA , imo, needs to knock some sense into him .

It's so clear that harden is struggling with something . He doesn't look nearly as fluid or explosive . He looks uncertain on his stepbacks ..... he's had more BAD misses in the last 3 games than he had the entire season before that

Hardens solo act needs to be over. He can break it out in the playoffs after having some post-practice sessions with shumpert and house .

Right now , he needs to let his body take a break and work his way back to integrate himself into the TEAM .

* these are my opinions from watching the games . I am not on the rockets medical staff , I do not have a degree in physical therapy .

napalm06 and kjayp like this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

It's hard to rest Harden if Blazers and Thunder don't rest stars.
    Last night it would beat GS if Harden and Paul play 40 minutes each.

8. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

That snatchback bw the legs right to left going baseline from the right wing and that little dirk like stepback on the left side are some thingswe miss seeing from harden

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Disagree . We beat GS with only CP3

CP3 , river , and Gordon can all playmake to some extent

We have shumpert and house to soak up 2/3 minutes too .

You're telling me that with those 5 , + Clint,farried , and PJ that we aren't gonna be OK vs the suns , hawks , and wolves ?

Oh **** I forgot green too

We've got 9 other guys outside of harden that can definitely play .

I say let them step up and give our bearded savior some R and R before he starts his final approach towards the playoffs

10. Manos

Manos Member

I agree he needs to lay off the shot when it's not falling and drive the basket.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bottom line is Harden has to play better in order to beat the Warriors. He needs to be the best player on the court.

Manos and deb4rockets like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

not exactly. he can just be better than last night and hou can give themselves a chance to beat the warriors

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Here's where I got it from, I don't see anything on here that shows defender distance, just filtering by shot type and date. Feel free to look around and post here if you can find that info, though, because I'd be interested in it too.

https://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=...tep Back Jump shot:SHOT_TYPE*E*3PT Field Goal

#53 harold bingo, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    SemisolidSnake likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. Guess what month his career splits show to be his best month, 3PT%-wise? April.

The playoffs, though, are a different story. More active defenses, better schemes, etc. His 3PT% the last three playoffs have been .310, ,278 and .299.

Here's hoping this is the year he finally gets hot from 3 in the post-season.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Harden's 19 point 4th quarter against the Celtics was mostly from his floater, drives to the paint and FTs mixed with a couple of step back 3s. Would just like to see more diversity in his offense. When he drives, good things almost always happen. Open lane to the paint, a floater, lob to Capela, a hockey assist kick out pass that is then passed to baseline to Tucker, Green or Gordon. All great options from simply going in the paint.

Crashlanded19 and deb4rockets like this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Also for all those who love Harden's midrange game, he is shooting 37.2% on 2 point step backs this year, which is a lower percentage than his 3s.

HP3 likes this.
  17. wesbound

wesbound Member

He's been a shitty post all-star break. On nights where his shooting is off, I really hope he attacks the rim more or to drive & kick out to open man or plane simple setup the guy that his teammates.
    It's brutal to watch him break away the rockets lead or to break us in a deep deep hole...
    The guy is too damn good to be so stubborn w/ his shot selection & I start to notice when we lose a game Harden would say we have to do better etc. but when we win, it's me etc me searching for teammates. etc.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. atam

atam Member

No this isn’t questioning after a narrow loss, this is questioning almost EVERY game after the all star break. ESPN did a story earlier in the year on how the step back was so lethal, now it’s not going in and this has been happening in MULTIPLE games, and this is questioning his decision-making on key possessions. The reason for the win streak is Chris Paul, and it’s clear he’s the true leader of this team, he should be putting up more shots along with Eric Gordon. If Harden passed out of a few of those step back 3s to either of them I’m pretty sure we’d still have our win streak still going without blowing as many leads.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. atam

atam Member

Would you rather watch greatness in the regular season or in June? I’m tired of being a regular season team and no this wasn’t a knee-jerk post. This has been happening since the all star break and greatness has to recognize that greatness means involving the people with the hot hand, I.e. Eric Gordon.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. threepointshot3

Lol harden is the reason we won in Toronto, Boston and many other games when Paul was shooting like cow dung.lol Paul has been garbage for large stretches of this wining streak.

If you gonna troll with multiple ids at least be a little less obvious king1 , hp3,swayyguy hardensbeard, tmac1 and however other ids you use Lin fan boy