1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jury says the Vipers need to fork over money to contest winner

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Dr of Dunk, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Back in 2013 (yes, 6 years ago), this guy apparently had 60 seconds to make a 3 and hit a half-court shot in order to win a Jaguar. One of his students took a video of the event. He apparently hit the 3 and the half-court shot, but never got the car. He's been fighting for it since then.

From the link, https://www.krgv.com/news/rgv-vipers-appeals-jury-decision-to-pay-contest-participant/ :

Here's another video of the event which I'm assuming is the original video taken by his 8th grade student at the time who is now of college age... lol :

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vipers are too broke like Tilman to pay this fan. :D

$250,000 is fair.

Vipers want to get off on a technicality & play peepee games.

https://www.themonitor.com/2019/02/21/starr-county-man-get-250000-vipers-lawsuit/

Solis, a former teacher, explained Thursday that he was approached before the game to participate in the contest and said he was told all he had to do was make a three-point shot and a half-court shot in less than 60 seconds. The prize was a $75,000 Jaguar.

“I made it, everyone was yelling, everyone was high-fiving me,” he said. “What happened after that was battle after battle.”

First, he said there was a dispute over whether he had actually won the contest with Vipers officials claiming he stepped over a line and shot at the wrong basket.

Then, Solis said the award he was offered changed: from a Jaguar of lesser value, to a two-year lease. Preferring not to worry about maintenance for a vehicle he’d lease for two years, Solis said he instead asked for a check worth the value of the lease.

They agreed on the conditions that Solis take publicity photos with the vehicle, which he agreed to do.

“I was never given that check,” he said. “So my attorneys continued litigating and we eventually went to trial.”

The jury found that the Vipers, an NBA G League organization, committed fraud and awarded Solis $100,000 in actual damages and $150,000 in exemplary damages, according to Eduardo “Eddie” Ramirez, co-counsel in the case.

Solis, 38, thanked the jury, saying he felt relieved and vindicated.

The legal battle, however, will likely continue as the Vipers issued a news release Thursday stating they would appeal the verdict, calling it “unjust.”

“In the days following the Jan. 23, 2013 contest in dispute, the plaintiff and then-team president Bert Garcia exchanged communications in an effort to reach an agreement,” the statement read. “Eight days later, Mr. Solis issued a claim letter to the Vipers, and legal proceedings began.”

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Give the man his car already. I don't get holding a contest and not being prepared to make someone a winner.

I went to a fitness place in the late 90's with a drawing for a free 1 year membership. My wife drew first from the barrel and won. They were shocked, said they didn't even know what to do. So I was ready to see if I could get as lucky and the sale reps refused to put the ticket back in. I argued I was told I'd be given a chance but she refused. She said I could win the 6 month membership. I told here to kiss my ass. My wife did go for a year for free. I never went even once after the walk thru and "drawing".

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

He shot it in the wrong court I have no idea how he even has a case. If you watch the video it clearly shows he was supposed to hit the shot on the court in front of the camera, I dunno why shooting it in the wrong court is supposed to count.

It's like if Harden shot in his own basket refs are supposed to count it as our score.

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I listened to the video they never stated that he had to make a shot at any specific goal. He was told to "make a 3 pointer and a half court shot in 60 seconds" that is exactly what he did.