1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You got an owner who will do anything in his POWER to support you in your success

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's nice to have such an owner.

s3ts, malakas and J Sizzle like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

How many Joes Crab Shacks does Balmer own?

ramotadab and Clips/Roxfan like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

How's that been working out for them

4. xaos

xaos Member

Oh and from what I've seen of him, I'd love him to own the rockets

#4 xaos, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Nice video thanx for posting that.
    Half the time I was scared he was having a heart attack.

There are a lot of enthusiastic NBA owners, who are willing to pay luxury tax and support their team, however what separates Balmer is that he actually has let the bball operations to the right personell and doesn't meddle which is trully remarkable since he is a new owner.

BigMaloe, xiki, Deuce and 1 other person like this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It helps that he's rich as **** and located in LA. He has hired Jerry West to be president of basketball operations, someone who many players believe in. Also, Balmer has no aspirations off the court unlike Tilman who won't be spending all his money on his basketball team.

The only downside is he owns the Clippers not the Lakers. If he was the owner of the Knicks, I would have no doubt they will turn it around some time this decade.

The Clippers have been in rebuild mode the last 2 years while not tanking (Le$$ favorite kind of season). They've basically been doing a cycle of developing stars, trading them for picks, opening salary space. My guess is West is trying to reproduce the Warriors superteam he accomplished before.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

8. TimV

TimV Member

He also didn't have to finance the Clippers purchase (especially at the high interest rates that Fertitta did). People act like Fertitta is greedy because of his moves. Unfortunately, the Rockets will have to have a robust gross profit margin to service those loans; so while he might be willing not to make a profit on the team, or even lose a little, the finances are already in really bad shape compared to many of the other owners. He paid stupid money for the team. The only other NBA franchises that have sold for more than a billion were the Clippers (also stupid money, but I don't think Ballmer cared) and the Raptors (but that sale also included the Maple Leafs and their stadium). Even if you paid a 50% premium over what the Hawks sold for after the Clippers, for 2.2 billion you would have had enough left over to also build the best stadium in the NBA and had all of the ancillary revenue from that to service the debt (to note both the Nets and Warriors new stadiums cost a billion - in far more expensive construction environments - imagine what you could do with that same billion in Houston).

Even if there is an enormous amount of hidden NBA revenue that owners have been pocketing, at the very least, the debt service for just the team purchase means the Rockets have stacked the deck against itself.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Neither of them spent a dime out of pocket, they both took out loans for an asset that will pay back the the loan plus give them annual profit on top (unless they are heavy luxury tax payers) plus practically guaranteed massive profit when they sell the asset.

The real OG is Dan Gilbert who actually paid $15-20m out of pocket to take a chance at beating the Warriors in a season the Warriors were still clearly more talented, and was rewarded with a championship. Dan Gilbert is worth 6.5bn, Fertitta 4.8bn but Fertitta is the one who owns one of the most profitable NBA teams even in down-seasons while Gilbert is the one who owns a that can barely cover its expenses in a championship year.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Good analysis. This has been my biggest concern with Fertitta and quite frankly something never discussed. He has used massive amounts of leverage and he has very little liquidity. Regardless if Fertitta places winning over profits, he may not have a choice.

I am hard on the CP3 contract because it can be the catalysis for a spiraling downfall for the franchise. If CP3 can stay healthy and can continue to produce on a super star level and provide the leadership that Harden lacks, the team is good for the next few years. I am not very optimistic with this scenario.
    If CP3 continues to rapidly decline (as expected) and spends more time injured than not, this will create problems within the team (like it is now). I dont expect Harden to sit on a team that can' win. I would also say there is a good chance Morey may want to move on to something new once his contract is up in 4 years. Moreys secret sauce is out of the bag and every team is using his analytics. If the team loses all of its best assets at the same time, revenue will go down and Fertitta may choose to treat the franchise as an asset and focus on making money instead of winning. Fertitta has a habit of taking a quality product and turning it into efficient cash producing machine.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Carl Herrera continues his narrative against Tilman.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It was smart of him to not pay Paul, Griffin, Redick, Jordan and now Tobias.

#RunItAway

lulz at basically saying, "Hey Kawhi, KD and Butler, I'll give you the max like everyone else."

#12 heypartner, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

14. jowman

jowman Member

Tilman is more similar to Donald Sterling in his willingness to cut costs at the sake of contending. The reason he doesn't look so bad is because he already inherited a winning franchise, and has enough information to show that he can rake in the most profits if he puts out a team that can compete enough to make the playoffs, but not make the tax paying moves that can keep them competitive for the championship.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah lets pay tax for the likes of knight, chriss, and ennis. 3 guys who are the key to a ship. is that you Billy king

cheke64 likes this.
  16. jowman

jowman Member

Could've kept those guys and a pick and used them in a trade next year which would've actually been useful. How does coming under the tax this year help them this year or next year? Not like they can use the savings to get another good player.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

thats been well discussed over and over and over. looks like youre brand new. feel free to use the search button. your question gets answered in a variety of ways

18. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer: Winning an NBA title is one big goal that has eluded me..

[​IMG]
    Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has created a new website for disseminating accurate government data, USAFacts.org.

CBS News
    Steve Ballmer made a fortune running Microsoft, bought a professional basketball team, and publicly earmarked $2 billion to charitable organizations. In an interview for "CBS Sunday Morning" airing April 7, Ballmer tells correspondent Rita Braver that the last big milestone he really wants is an NBA title for his beloved Los Angeles Clippers.

"The only thing I can really, really point to that I'd like to do, but haven't done, is be in a parade with an NBA championship," Ballmer said. "I want to make progress on everything else, but to hold that trophy and have it be ours, yeah, that'd be on my list."

Ballmer bought the Clippers in 2014, the same year he retired from Microsoft. Today, at 63, he's worth more than $41 billion.

[​IMG]
    Owner Steve Ballmer reacts after the Los Angeles Clippers scored during the first half of a game against the Dallas Mavericks, Feb. 5, 2018, in Los Angeles. The Clippers eeked out a 104-101 win. Mark J. Terrill/AP
    He talked with Braver about his basketball team, life after retirement and his philanthropy. He also talked about his new project, the website USA Facts, which makes government statistics ranging from healthcare data and demographic information to government spending easily accessible to everyone online.

He also talks with Braver about his tax bill, and if he – and other billionaires – pay enough.

"I'm non-partisan," Ballmer said. "Do I have a responsibility to give back to society? I'd say yes. Society has to decide on policy. If the policy is, 'Let's tax the more affluent people more,' okay, I'm good with it."

"Sunday Morning," hosted by Jane Pauley, is broadcast on CBS Sundays beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET. Executive producer is Rand Morrison. "Sunday Morning" also streams on CBSN beginning at 9:30 a.m. ET and repeated at 1 p.m. ET, and is available on cbs.com, CBS All Access, and On Demand. You can also download the free "Sunday Morning" audio podcast at iTunes and at Play.it.

Be sure to follow us at cbssundaymorning.com, and on Twitter (@CBSSunday), Facebook, and Instagram (#CBSSundayMorning).

19. MystikArkitect

Tilman has been awful in most of his business practices. Doesn’t take long to find shady business deals, cheap skating, etc.

Honestly his involvement with UH speaks well for him and is the only glimmer of hope I have that he’ll be a halfway decent owner.

I’m enjoying these Harden years because I see a Dolan like future after him.

cheke64 likes this.
  20. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Lets give some love to tilman fertitta and his endeavours….