1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

...and then somebody wakes him up after yet another sack behind a crappy offensive line and terrible play call.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

ESPN article that accompanies @TheRealist137's YT vid:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25876662/texans-deshaun-watson-surprises-mom-home-renovation

(Quoted the entire article, so whoever doesn't want to give ESPN clicks, doesn't have to)

6. conquistador#11

Y u no hire Joanna and Chip? He holds on to the money too long!!

(seriously cool video. )

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kiss of death.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

NFL Film’s Greg Cosell on Deshaun Watson’s development and O’Brien...

Greg Costello on Deshaun Watson
    I think it was a really good learning second year. I think that it’s clear that there’s talent here. I think he’s a pretty smooth thrower of the football. I think now he has to find that balance between being a precision rhythmic pocket player and not leaving the pocket prematurely. Because when you leave the pocket prematurely as a quarterback, sure you can make some play with his legs, but at the end of the day coaches don’t work 16-18-20 hours a day putting together a game plan to have any player not do what the structure is designed to do.

Now having said that, I could easily make the argument that the Texans offensive line was by NFL standards probably close to the bottom and I’m being kind. And I think there’s a cumulative affect of pressure that gets into a quarterback head and I’m sure that cumulative affect of pressure leads a quarterback to perceive it and anticipate it and I’m sure if Deshaun was being honest he would probably admit that. And you start to leave a little early just because you’re expecting it to be there.

He has to find that balance. He’s not at that point in his career yet where he can camouflage or compensate for a less than average pass protecting O-line. There’s a balance there. We know he can make those phenomenal outside of structure improvisational plays because he’s made a ton of those. But at the end of the day I think it’s hard to be consistent week-to-week, play-after-play if you’re going to play the game – particularly in critical situations – outside of structure.

There are other questions as related to the roster. You can’t have a one receiver offense. While Akins was considered a really fine athlete athlete coming out of school they haven’t been able to feature the Tight End a lot in the pass game. You don’t want to be in a situation where Deshaun is going to have to make it all work because he can run around and make plays. Yes he can do that. I don’t think you want to take it away and say don’t ever leave the pocket, but you have to get to the point where the offense works within structure more often than not.

If your quarterback leaves the pocket prematurely, it makes your offensive line look bad. The reality of life in the NFL is quarterbacks who break down in the pocket prematurely get sacked far more than quarterbacks who don’t. Because offensive linemen are taught pass protection based upon the design of the play… and the protection doesn’t change in the middle of the play. They’re expecting the quarterback based on the play call to be in a certain spot and they know they have certain leeways and margins for error based on where the quarterback is supposed to be. If the quarterback is not there, the O-line looks worse. This is not a knock on Deshaun Watson it’s just the normal growth and development of an NFL quarterback.

On offensive design/playcalling
    We aren’t there when they’re putting together their game plan. So what are people reacting to? People react to results of the game. I don’t know how people felt in Houston when they won nine in a row. It’s hard to win nine in a row in the NFL, it’s really hard to do that. They did that, and you could argue they did that with an offensive roster that had significant holes. Okay so, was Bill O’Brien cheered on at that point? I’m not in Houston, but my guess is he wasn’t just as a national guy looking at the league. I don’t think Bill O’Brien was probably cheered on as wow look what he’s doing with less than great talent. He should be cheered for that. I mean this is not an offense that is a multi-dimensional complete offense. There’s too many missing pieces. And yet they won 9 in a row with a young quarterback that’s still learning – a lot of talent, a lot of smarts but still learning – and with a great receiver. but not much else… with a solid running back… and an O-line that some might say could have been the worst in the league.

So I guess I’m missing the idea that somehow Bill O’Brien is doing a poor job.

I love Deshaun. I know Deshaun. I think he’s a phenomenal kid. He’s a good player with a chance to be a really good player. Whether he gets there this year or sometime after, no one knows that. But after his rookie year the media presented him as the chosen one. There was a national perception that this guy is now a top-five, great great quarterback. So I think when the offense didn’t quite function like that all of the time, there was some sense that it must be the coaching. Because Deshaun Watson, he’s Michael Jordan. He’s the chosen one. And I think that was so unrealistic and unfair to Deshaun… who is a hard worker, everything about Deshaun is positive. But it was unrealistic to expect him to be that, as a second-year quarterback with the talent that was surrounding him.

mario_v and whag00 like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good points. People hyped him up way too much because of his college and 1st year as a Texan. Maybe a lot of that was just the excitement of finally getting a really good prospect for our future from his college performances, and seeing him do so good as a rookie compared to most rookies. I think time will tell how he grows and learns from mistakes, and let us see how great he can be. Time will also show if he can play another year without tearing his ACL again, or if they were just freak injuries never to happen again. Maybe he can grow stronger and smarter as he has had time to heal and learn. I hope he learns to stop staring down his receivers so much, and gets a little more patient checking down his options before trying to run the ball. Not only will this help alleviate risk of more injuries, but it will be easier for him once we have more options other than Hopkins. A healthy Coutee and Fuller are a start. If Foreman can ever become the man we hoped he would be, then our running game will be much better as well, and this will take a lot more pressure off Deshaun. I know he had a lot of obstacles in his way this year, with all the injuries, the horrible offensive line, and the lack of great coaching. But, let' not make the mistake of being unrealistic and blaming all the mistakes on everything but Deshaun also. What won't help him in his growth is a false sense of what went wrong and how to fix it instead of having a coach take all the blame for everything and not do anything to fix things that can be fixed.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I mean. His second half of the season was 16 TD's to two picks. That is close to what Brees and Aaron Rodgers did albeit Deshaun playing with a much worse offensive line.

It is pretty clear to me that the kid is going to be a star in the league.

Staring down receivers is something even the great QB's do when teams are playing man coverage. Peyton Manning made a career out of it when recognizing man coverage.

You would have to break down some film where he is doing so in zone repeatedly. I thought his ability to read the field was pretty advanced at times.

BMoney likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I am talking about. No matter what he does people defend it. I am not saying he might not become great. I am saying he isn't great yet, and yes, he does stare down receivers. Maybe it just seemed that way to me, because no, I don't sit and break down film. I just noticed it a lot. Sure, he is really good, and yes, I agree, he definitely improved in turnover ratio which is awesome. That is a huge plus and improvement in the right direction. He wasn't making as many mistakes as the beginning of the season. Staring down receivers might be something Peyton made a career of, but that doesn't mean it is not a trait that if corrected early in the career won't make him even greater. You also have to look at who we played the second half of the season to be a little more realistic on everything. We played a whole lot of really mediocre teams the second half of the season.

I think next year is going to be really exciting. We will have a much tougher schedule, and knowing that, let's hope the powers that be can make some big moves to help us address all these weaknesses, and give Deshaun more of a chance to lead us to a Championship long overdue.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I get what your saying and I def wouldn’t put Watson as a top 5 QBs right now. Which pat mahomes clearly is if not the best. I still take Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers over mahomes as of today but I admit it’s up for debate he’s that good.

With that said Watson just threw for 4000+ yards 26 tds to only 9 ints completed 68% of his passes for a 103 QBR.

To go along with 500+ rushing yards and 5 rushing tds.

He had a great season, I think it’s a testament to his greatness and potential that everyone thinks he could have been better.

To put it in perspective. If he just replicates what he did this season for the rest of his career and never improves. He’s a sure fire HOF guy.

When u think about it like that it shows how great he is.

I don’t like the comparisons to cam newton or russel Wilson. Imo he’s more like Arron Rodgers.

I’d say the only thing holding him back from being mentioned with mahomes is that he needs to get the ball out quicker. He’s holding on to it way to long and it’s making a poor offensive line even worse.

I think the Texans have a star he’s already a top 10 qb and he legit has the potential to be 1 and 2 with mahomes for the next decade. The fact that you can even say that with a straight Face is amazing.

And you can talk about who he played in the win streak and his better play the second half of the year but its the NFL, It’s hard to win in this league it’s not basketball.

And mahomes didn’t have the hardest schedule either this season and I wouldn’t take away anything he did this year.

The future is very bright for this kid and I expect him to turn in a MVP season next year and lead the Texans back to the playoffs but this year we’ll have a legit chance to advance because Watson will be even better.

Htownballer38 and coachbadlee like this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

16. conquistador#11

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The 2018-19 Deep Ball Project (Part 2/3)

18. Deshaun Watson (Houston Texans)

[​IMG]

Considering he played behind arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL, Deshaun Watson didn’t do a bad job at all. While his per game numbers regressed from his rookie season, I felt Watson grew as a passer in the pocket, showing more decisiveness and less off balance footwork.

Watson did well throwing to his left and right (12th in both areas with an accuracy percentage of 47.37% and 50.0% respectfully), and was 10th in accuracy percentage under pressure (47.62%). His impressed most throwing 36-40 yards, as he finished third in accuracy percentage (66.67%). He was also fifth in accuracy in both 21-25 and 26-30 distances (68.75% and 66.67% respectfully).

Watson could definitely improve throwing into tight windows, as he finished 30th in accuracy percentage with 22.73%. He threw 13 throws of at least 41 yards in the air yet ranked 31st in accuracy percentage in that area (13.33%).

Overall I don’t consider Watson to be a great downfield passer yet, but he’s taking steps in the right direction and has improved significantly over his rookie season.

https://brickwallblitz.com/2019/02/22/the-2018-19-deep-ball-project-part-2-3/

Htownballer38 and FLASH21 like this.
  18. conquistador#11

Deshaun takes over the rodeo,

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. conquistador#11

He held on to the fried snickers too long but he'll improve with time. 10 year future "hof"veterans that still hold on to their fried snickers. Eat it fast and move on to the fried oreos!