1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Wainwright: MLB Players Will '100 Percent' Go on Strike

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

Certainly not overnight - but over time it certainly would go up. Not that they are perfect comparisons, but NFL and NBA teams are routinely near their salary caps - even the bad ones. They may dip for a year or two, but they tend to go right back up to it. MLB teams routinely stay well below the top teams - it's not that they can't afford it, but that there's no purpose to chasing BOS/NYY/LA/etc when they can't realistically keep up. If those teams can't just improve anytime they feel like it by throwing money around, it gives the other teams more incentive to compete.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

NFL teams all get a cut of the TV deals about $60 million larger than the salary cap without having to depend on local broadcast rights. NFL bottom dwellers and mid market teams are in much better shape than their MLB counterparts. Without looking more into, I'd guess NBA small/mid market teams are likely between the NFL and the MLB in financial success. Without more revenue sharing, I think the small and mid-market teams are close to being capped by the owner wanting to make money and have a positive cash flow (i.e., franchise increasing in value doesn't pay the bills).

Now if you can get the Yankees and other big market teams to give more than the pittance they currently are giving in revenue sharing, maybe your plan would work. However, if you did that, teams would spend more any way.

3. CinematicFusion

This is a great start

#43 CinematicFusion, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    HTown2017Champs and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Difference is local TV money. BOS/NYY/LA are miles ahead of others when it comes to local TV revenue. If you want them all in the same territory like the other sports, all of that would have to be shared. Good luck getting them to do that

5. GottaHaveHeart

You have no team. You have no league. This isn’t a conversation.

6. Buck Turgidson

Salary cap
    Salary floor
    Both of the above are based on revenue, adjusted...say....every 3 years or whatever?
    Pool all TV revenue (if you want to act like a monopoly, then act like a monopoly, not like a bunch of independent corporations)
    Start a proper MiLB payroll system based on age when drafted, or the first full-season level they play...not sure about this one yet.
    I still don't understand why some teams do not jump on the "fitness/nutrition" bandwagon with their bunch of 17-18, 20 yo kids that they've already invested 5-6-7 figures in. They have the money to do it.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You have no players you have no league.

I'm pretty sure the Green Bay Packers are proof you don't actually need those owners.

8. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

That is an orange. You have a dolphin. I love lamp.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

the padres just spent 300 million lol. LOL @ people saying baseball is dying.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I believe the first recorded acknowledgement that baseball was dying was in 1915. It is a slow death. At this pace, baseball may outlast the heat death of the universe.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Kind of like Generalisimo Francisco Franco...

LonghornFan likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

LonghornFan and bobrek like this.