1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Costas says he was removed from Super Bowl broadcast due to comments on concussions, CTE in NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Sajan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-costas...e-comments-concussions-cte-nfl-224951021.html

Three months before the Super Bowl, Costas spoke at a journalism symposium at Maryland. That’s when his comments on concussions and brain injuries in the NFL took off.

“The issue that is most substantial — the existential issue — is the nature of football itself,” Costas said, via the Washington Post. “The reality is that this game destroys people’s brains.”

Not soon after, he had been pulled from the Super Bowl broadcast.

“I recall the phrase, ‘It’s a six-hour, daylong celebration of football, and you’re not the right person to celebrate football,'” Costas told ESPN. “To which my response was not, ‘Oh please, please, change your mind.’ My response was, ‘Yeah, I guess you’re right.'”

raining threes, KingCheetah and Nook like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I read the ESPN article - good stuff

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bill Simmons was fired from ESPN due to his stance against the commissioner.

Now, their coverage could not be more watered down... as is any network who is in bed with the NFL.

Controversy gets swept under the rug consistently, while any network that dares to call anybody out will risk being ostracized.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Can you blame them? They spent billions to promote and celebrate it.

Personally I'd prefer the honest approach, "hey we know there might be dangers but we love football, come love it with us" approach instead of a 3 wise monkey maxim approach.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Think it's fair. The broadcast itself should try to stay away bringing down the sport with stories like Osuna, Gurriel, head trauma; there is another time and place for that conversation. promote the game. elevate it. And let people enjoy it. Talk radio and the news can handle the touchy stuff.