1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nest - Product Reviews?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Dec 17, 2015.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sorry if there is a Nest thread already.

I used to have a Nest in the last house. In this house, it came with one Honeywell connected thermostat. It's useless. It's always disconnecting, the app sucks, it doesn't "learn" in any way to save you money. So I'm going to switch to the Nest.

What about the other Nest products. The smoke/CO alarm? And the cameras?

Can I expect them to also be "easy to use" class leading products? We already have smoke detectors, though no CO monitor. My thought was to just add a Nest one if it is so easy to use.

And the cameras? The wife would like cameras because we have kid care coming in and out of the house and the presence of the camera makes her (us) feel better. Lots of people offer cameras now. Any point in researching... or just go with the Nest?

Thanks all!

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Dude I love them!

The Thermostat is wonderful. I have two in my house, and it has done wonders on my bill. The smoke detectors are awesome too. You will need more than one to complete the circuit. Its useless having just one. We have 7 in our house.

Haven't tried out the cameras though.

CW

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What does that mean??

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How does it learn? It just observes the general time of day and what temps you set it to so it can automatically adjust before you tell it? I mean, thermostats have had the ability to be programmed to change temps at a certain time of the day (when people leave for work and/or school, for instance) for years. I'm not sure I understand what Nest does differently.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to my understanding that is pretty much all it does, trend your normal behavior. . We have 2 in the house and only rarely do we ever have to manually adjust the temp anymore. But you're pretty much right, you can pretty much do the same thing by programming your thermostat manually. There are other options/features you can use as well such as power usage tracking and such. All that being said, i do enjoy having them.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We got one a few months ago and it is awesome. Takes about a week to fully learn your cycle. You can also schedule as well.

Manual control from the app. I turn the fan on for a specified time right before bed every night.

A++++

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I love nest. Worked for me.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's okay for me. My only gripe is the Home/Away never detects when we're away even though we have the wifi/GPS enabled for that to work.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Have the cameras and thermostats. Use outdoor cameras at a few of our properties. Excellent products.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

funny seeing this thread just now. just ordered a thermostat and outdoor cameras just a little bit ago. i've only read/saw good things. glad much of the same is being echoed here

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Say you've got a schedule set but you're not actually at home during the time when you want the AC turned to super cold so you're comfortable. Nest has a sensor that can detect motion to see if you're home or not. If you're not home, instead of setting having the AC turned cold at the schedule time, it'll go into ECO mode. You can also set the Nest to have access to your location so it knows if you're home or not.

That's just one example.