1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep both sides...

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

After each election people are typically looking for change which is usually the exact opposite of the previous winner. People are sick of a president that's so divisive. If the dems are smart they will not go with a candidate that stoops to Trumps level, but goes above it. Preach unity, working together, and getting things done. Doing that will give them the moderates.

DFWRocket and NewRoxFan like this.
  3. vlaurelio

to clarify I was pointing out the wrong analogy of the poster equating aoc to trump supporters

Trump on Charlottesville: "I think there's blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it."

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah Ocasio Cortez socrazy. 70% taxation marginal tax is so crazy. Name one country where it worked? The US for forty years before Reagan and 1980.

Morans and the brainwashed keep waiting for trickle down.

TheRealAllpro and DaDakota like this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The genie of low taxes has been let out of the bottle. The rich will move away to tax havens. Very easy solution versus paying substantially more to the state. Trickle down was a scam and now it is too late to correct it.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Not my best series of posts... I will be more careful to write in a way that is easier to understand for all. I will also wait until I have coffee to post.

Os Trigonum and Nolen like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What program? Really. I am curious what that entails.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I've talked a lot about the slippery slope argument/fallacy in this thread, and we're seeing something similar right here. Again.

"If you tax 70% on income over 10mil, why not 70% on income over 25k?"
    The short answer is: people earning over 10 mil per year will be more than fine making ends meet, (and buying that yacht, and investing) even with a marginal rate of 70 on earned income over 10 mil. Taxing people 70% on earned income over 25k will interfere in how they pay for their families' basic needs. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Accomplished economists have poured a lot of study and a lot of ink into optimal taxation without disincentivizing earning. Many agree that marginal tax rates higher than those used in the states would result in higher revenue for the government without disincentivizing earnings too much.

If you argue a hypothetical extreme extrapolation of your opponents' stance, it shows you don't want to argue their original argument.

But to play along with your hypothetical, I am in favor of using public funds to ease suffering in other parts of the world, as America has done for many many years now. Here's a thought exercise: If we're concerned about Mexicans crossing into America, and we're willing to spend tens of billions of dollars/year to prevent them from doing so, and the reason they want to do so is because conditions are so poor in their own country... what if we instead spent tens of billions of dollars helping Mexico become a safer, more prosperous country? That would be humanitarian and morally righteous, and would drive immigration down.

peleincubus likes this.
  10. jcf

jcf Member

My point went more to human nature. Some people are happy to pay more taxes to assist the common good to a point. Others are happier if others fund the common good. That is human nature.

There are a lot of people around the world who would likely argue with you about what is sufficient for you to take care of your family's needs.

The reason the 10mm sounds good to many people is because it is out of reach. The 250k is less popular for a very basic reason: more people make that amount or can envision making that amount.

(real question: is AOC advocating just starting the higher marginal rate at 10mm or is she in favor of gradually higher rates before you hit 70 percent at 10mm?).

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A progressive agenda. A responsible tax rate for millionaires, a move towards renewal energy, drawing down the constant state of war, the end of for profit health care, implementation of the anti-corruption proposals in HR1, reigning in predatory financial institutions, overturning Citizens United, universal background checks for firearms, etc.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let them go. They need us more than we need them.

14. jcf

jcf Member

What do you view to be a responsible tax rate for millionaires? I'm assuming income but it might be wealth. I'm also interested re: what you feel the rates should be from say 100k-250k, 250-500 and 500 to1mm.

As I write this, it is coming off way more presumptuous/aggressive than intended. I don't know if I could answer those questions on the spot (if ever), and I don't think you owe me any answers.

I'm just genuinely interested because I believe any tax hike is going to go a lot lower than the 10mm level.

Thanks.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't have a detailed tax plan but I think 70% for those earning over $10m per year is just fine. A wealth tax would also be fine. Wealth redistribution has been going heavily in one direction for going on 70 years and we see the results in dramatic wealth inequality, a crumbling infrastructure, and a government that cannot address the needs of society. It's not a sustainable model and instead of conservatives proposing that we should continue to cut taxes and cut entitlements I'd say tell me where on Earth that has worked, just like this great for profit health care system we have.

JayGoogle likes this.
  16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I was under the impression he was talking about antifa and the tiki torch carrying idiots, who do you think the two sides he was referring to?

King1 likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

18. vlaurelio

One side was made up of all tiki torch white supremacists majority of the other side were protesting against white supremacists

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the value of having no record to run on.

"Ocasio-Cortez appeared at a moment when her party is being driven by a disproportionately white, wealthy, and more credentialed elite in tension with a more diverse, more working class rank-and-file. One of the points of tension is the progressive elite’s use of political correctness to enforce the Maoist apology culture currently ensnaring Democrats with political records (it’s a nifty way to try to consolidate one’s power within the party and society).

"Ocasio-Cortez fits the progressive elite’s fantasy profile for the party and its future: a woman of color and former bartender who champions their far-left agenda. That platform, incidentally, is even more of a fantasy than Ocasio-Cortez is. Medicare for All, the so-called Green New Deal, and abolishing Immigration and Customs Enforcement are all things even progressive politicians cannot figure out how to sell or implement.

"Fantasy politics requires fantasy politicians like Ocasio-Cortez. A politician without a record is a politician who has yet to disappoint when faced with the harsh realities of governing a sprawling, diverse nation."​

http://thefederalist.com/2019/01/31/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-unicorn-field-fantasy-candidates/

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member