1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Pierce Reacts to James Harden 61 Point Performance 'Unanimous MVP This Season'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Can someone explain to me how Stan Van Gundy was getting noticeably fatter during that video? He put on a good 30 pounds in 90 seconds

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Maybe you resized your window by mistake?

chadyang and rgw20014life like this.
  3. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Chris Paul should be back against TOR I also hope House is back as well

GotGame15 likes this.
  4. Classic

Classic Member

Harden is the single hottest media cover this year. Maybe we dont all realize this (yet) because we all follow this team closely but Harden is now capturing the narrative for headlines across the sport. This is a unanimous MVP season for James Harden.

Congrats James. This is your year.

5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

This is the nba team crew but it’s nice that he is finally getting some respect.

Deckard likes this.
  6. SemisolidSnake

Well, crap, I had a snarky little piece I was writing where the media keeps redefining "Most Valuable Player" as they do every year to give it to who they want, but I just up and closed the wrong tab and lost it. So, here's the abridged version.

Is he the most valuable player to his team this year? Without a doubt.
    Is he the BEST player, period, this year? Yes. He's doing things that keep evoking the names Jordan, Kobe, and Wilt. This year? I mean, these are "all-time" conversations.
    Is he on a good enough team (because that **** always seems to matter for some reason)? Rockets are currently 5th in the West, within striking distance of 3rd, and that's with massive injuries and incompetence hampering them at the moment. Pretty damn decent.
    "Oh, but he doesn't play defense or pass or whatever." Harden is 5th in the league in steals, 4th in assists, and just pulled down 15 rebounds in addition to scoring 61 pts in a game.
    "But his attitude..." ...is remarkably focused, intense, and serious about his job this year. Inspiring, even. Compare this to Stephanie Curry who acted like a b****child when he traveled trying and failing to copy Harden's "best move in the NBA" according to many commentators.

I could go on and on. And he will not win it unanimously. Because.

hakeem94, D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. Mr. Space City

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

She prolly woulda ****ed him on live television

BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What does "scoring the ball" mean?

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I love Giannis, I really do...but it ain't his year.

You know you have to finish 2nd or 3rd before you win one, that's how they did Harden, so he needs to wait a year...

elmotsangtt, HakeemOnlyFan and D-rock like this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Dear Clutchfans, put in the work.

Take stats like these and email them/ tweet them to anyone who makes an MVP ladder AND to anyone who has an MVO vote.

Make your case calmly and sanely, and they will listen. The only way to change the narrative is to change the narrative!!

12. KayJayNZ

KayJayNZ Member

PHRASING!

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Richard Jefferson remains unimpressed.

chadyang and hakeem94 like this.
  14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

15. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Who the hell is this scrub Xavier McDaniel? Probably a Gorgui Deng or Quincy Acy level player that got lucky one day.

16. whathappened

whathappened Member

I agree with you but D-rose came out of nowhere too

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I do think there is an honest argument for Giannis Antetokounmpo at this point in time. The Bucks are 34-12 largely thanks to him. That's on pace for 60 wins. He's averaging 26-12-6. That is the perfect description for MVP. The Rockets are only on pace to win 47 games. Yes, I know there is a difference in roster help and availability with the Bucks being healthy, and Houston obviously not. I would like to see the Rockets make a real run to 50 wins at least, and if the Bucks finish lower than 60 wins then that could be enough for James. At the moment, I simply have to give it to Giannis because I care about wins.

I firmly believe that a player's team must at least win more than 60% of their games. 6/10 games at the very least. When you push it to 7/10 or 8/10 then that's when you know that you're dominating. Don't get me wrong. I know that if you took Harden off the current Rockets roster since the Miami game Houston likely would have gone on multiple 10 game losing streaks. Can't say the Bucks would do the same without Giannis. But winning matters to me. I can't give the MVP to a guy whose team can't win 50 games. Not after what Westbrook did. I'd be a hypocrite fighting for that MVP award. Even if Westbrook had enough help, and Harden doesn't. Under 50 is still under 50 to me. If you want to be the MVP of the league then you have to prove that you're one of the best in the league. 47 wins doesn't scream the best.

However, I do think that if Harden continues this then he will win the MVP over Giannis anyways because the voters are dumb. And hell, even though I don't think Harden should win the MVP I definitely want him to win it anyways. They like big numbers, and they know they will look like morons if they don't give Harden this MVP after giving it to Westbrook in 2017. Not many players with two MVPs. I will take it gladly, so I'll probably help push the Harden is the MVP movement even if I don't believe it lol.

Ideal world: Harden finishes 33-7-7 with 52 wins and the 3rd seed. That means James would need to average 29 points from here on out. Giannis finishes 26-12-5 with 58 wins and the 2nd seed. A 6 win difference in an easier conference and no injuries would be very ideal for Harden.

Rockets need to go 25-10 for 52 wins. Yikes. I'm not confident that the Rockets can do that with Paul barely coming back in less than 3 games, House being AWOL, and Capela out for another 2-4 weeks. I'm not confident the Rockets will break 50 wins this season with the problems we have had. Barely beating the 29th overall Knicks is a huge sign for how difficult things will be. On the other side the Bucks need to go 26-10 for 60 wins which is still hard to pull off, but they may be able to do it. But only 24-12 for 58 wins which seems very easy to do especially in the weak east.

Sigh. If Capela didn't get injured and we didn't start 1-5 then the Rockets would probably be the 3rd seed right now knocking on Denver's door.

18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Russ had no business winning MVP that season. None what so ever... inefficiently put up stats to the detriment of his team...

Harden led a team no one thought would win 45 games to the third best record in the NBA while averaging 29 points 11 dimes and 8 boards.

If it were up to me Harden would have at least two MVPs now. I disagreed the year Curry got it, but It wasn’t like Curry didn’t have a case, so It was acceptable. Russ over Harden was absolutely inexcusable. All because of a stupid tripple double. He’s been doing it three years straight, shouldn’t he be a three time MVP by now. His team’s performance isn’t much better yet dude isn’t even in the conversation...

joshuaao, hakeem94 and Bearded13 like this.
  19. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Playing against double and triple teams!

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And he did in the MS Garden.