1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uncle Morley has saved Tilman $10m in taxes so far this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 22, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Give Ryan some credit, too, I suppose, as his willingness to forego some guaranteed money probably greased his trade.

The "three transactions" referenced were Onuaku, MCW and Melo.

On the cost-side, the infinitely aware Morey probably weighed the following (relatively minor things) into his thinking:
    • Ability to buy 2nd Round Picks this year, an M.O. of Les and Morey in the past. We only have $566k left to spend.
    • Ability to use the $5m Cash Considerations in actual value-added trades, (for instance, would PHX have taken cash over asking for Melton)
    • Nunnally's try-out ending early, because Melo had to have a landing spot vs just cutting him.

#1 heypartner, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This almost feels like an appreciation thread.

Jontro, BigMaloe, Sajan and 7 others like this.
  3. foggy94

foggy94 Member

On the 'is Tilman cheap?' Question, giving away cash to get off players instead of trying to buy 2nd rounders is the only 'cut and dry' evidence so far that is unarguable. Trev at $15m was a vast overpay, I think everyone can agree with that even if they wish we would have just paid it any way. But for a team gonna be in the tax for years to come, savings have to be made along the way. So I get it. For that reason I'll accept saving the money on MCW and Melo rather than buying 2nd rounders in the 50s, it was a Les move but remember Les left right before the luxury tax was about to kick in. He knew what was about to happen with this team being tied up.

Not using the MLE would be the biggest one and inexcusable. It's our only method to sign players other than minimum deals. We HAVE to use it. It's just wasted otherwise. If we don't use it that will tell me Tilman is holding this team back, which would suck.

JVL713, Von Rafer, jerryclark and 3 others like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

I applaud Morley being a Good gm, I do not appreciate that his talents are being used to save Tilmam money.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mattress Mack like

6. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

I fookin' miss Leslie Alexander as our owner.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

I bet it would be the same next season.
    Up next,
    Chriss and Nene salary dump.

#7 BigBum, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of this scene.

9. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

All of our signings/trades were considered dead weight that nobody wanted (McW/Melo/Ennis/Clark/Onaku/Knight/Chriss). We had to give away assets in order to rid ourselves from some of these mistakes. Why do you people continue to say Trevor at $15m was an overpay/not worth it? We were already above the luxury tax threshold and he definitely fit perfectly in our system.

Trevor's $15m contracted ended up being an asset since it was expiring this year. Out of ALL the off-season moves that Morey made none of them became a bigger asset than Trevor's contract (which turned into Oubre + Rivers). For those who says he's "washed up". He almost had a triple double just last week so that just shows Phoenix didn't know how to utilize him effectively.

pippendagimp and Dgn1 like this.
  10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Because I don't think he is worth $15m a year, put simply. I'm not saying we shouldn't have matched, my hope is we build a championship roster, not have a team full of market value contracts. I'm just saying it's an overpay, and if you're a team without unlimited funds, you can't have overpays every year, unless Tilman is richer than we all think.

Also, not really sure what your point is about us being 'over the luxury tax threshold anyway'. Exactly, that's why it would have been so costly to match. We're gonna end up having around a $10m luxury tax bill this season. If you add Ariza's salary on that, it's $50 MILLION. Thats a lot for Trevor Ariza.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's just sensible business.

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Tilman has handcuffed Morey and holding the team back. The time is now and he's foking it up. You gotta pay to play buddy. You want a championship team, get ready to pay luxury tax. All the run it back carnival barking was complete front office bullshat. I don't know if I'm watching Rockets ball or a Pawn Stars episode. Morey has turned into Chumlee.

Von Rafer and pippendagimp like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

To those people waiting to pounce on Tilman.. Morey has repeatedly stated that the Rockets will be buyers at the deadline. Maybe wait for the deadline to pass before coming up with lots of narratives about what Tilman will/won't allow.

So far, we've just been jettisoning scrubs that needed to be jettisoned.

alethios, jordnnnn, GotGame15 and 7 others like this.
  14. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

He was worth $15m a year. Why are you having trouble understanding that? If we weren't contending he could have been traded for Oubre and Rivers. If we were contenders he stays and we wouldn't have signed Ennis (another mistake) or be worried about finding another replacement for him now. Plus Ariza greatest attributes was that never gets injured, can play a ton of minutes and can guard the other teams best player. Isn't that what we need now?

Why do you care? It's not your money. Do you think the owners of GSW care? They signed DeMarcus Cousins with their full MLE. Who did we sign with ours? Were you glad we didn't use the MLE on anyone? Please explain why you want to save Tilmans money so badly.

Dgn1 likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

I still think we're overestimating Ryno's generosity in agreeing to take less guaranteed money next year to facilitate that trade. He was supposed to get $21.2M for the 2019/20 season and agreed to take $15.6M. However, the Suns have to decide this summer (by July 10) whether to guarantee the full contract or buy him out and save $5.6M (but still have that $15.6M count as 2019/20 salary and count toward luxury taxes at the end of next season).

I'm thinking I've got that situation right (@BimaThug?).

In my eyes, what will likely happen is that the Suns will guarantee the full amount, then deal him at the deadline as an expiring salary to someone who's desperate to free up a big chunk of cap space, thus getting him off Phoenix's books for LT purposes. They might even get back something of value in return. And who knows, the Suns could keep him all year if it doesn't push them into LT territory, then use that cap space themselves to go FA shopping.

Either way, Ryno will either get the full amount, or he'll get $5.6M less, then have a chance to make up some of that "lost" money by signing on with another team willing to give him a shot. My guess is that in a buyout, he stands to lose a couple million at most, and might even make it all up or more in his new 2019/20 contract.

16. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

Can we get an impact player this trade deadline Tilman? Please :(

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

And acquiring them.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

True. Yet, when we gave away a full salary cap's worth of money to Paul and Clint, we were going to have to go dumpster diving.

Point about waiting for the deadline stands. Clutchfans complain so much about fake narratives. Why don't we practice what we preach.

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

People accused Les of being cheap. They accuse Fertitta of being cheap. Thankfully, when Ma Huateng buys the Rockets, he'll crackdown on fans' insolence and we won't have threads like this again.

20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Saved The Tillman $10 mil..... and it only cost us 10 wins!!!!

Morley never ceases to amaze me..

deb4rockets and BasketMAD like this.