1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... trump is such an embarrassment... even when the republican wins, he loses.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

AZ becoming less red...

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't drag the late, great Peter Sellers into this, or dump a load of trumpian crap on the flick. Not deserved! I also don't agree that trump has done anything right. The fool has been an all-encompassing disaster. Otherwise, nice post. ;)

4. NewRoxFan

So, was affordable healthcare important in midterms?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm not a single issue voter, but healthcare is #1 (by a wide margin) on my checkdown list.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who'd think that living would be so important to the American public? Don't these people want tax cuts?

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/18/politics/bill-nelson-rick-scott-florida-recount-result/index.html

This is the first time Florida has been completely red since the reconstruction period. (sans commissioner of agriculture). Its too bad Gillum didnt win, but I am happy with Nelson getting kicked.

My take from the Senate race; Democrats screwed up. Its not the first time. Either there was a significant about of voter fraud (let me interject and state there is no proof) or the Democrats run their strongholds so poorly that they end up losing a significant amount of votes. If voters are sitting in line for 3-4 hours after polls close (in which attrition occurs), then Democrats need to significantly up their game and encourage early voting.

I wish not to hear about the stories from Georgia as I completely understand their fundamental voting process is screwed up. While voter suppression may have occurred in florida (again, no significant proof), there is no excuse to get out and vote early.

Florida turned the blue wave into a blue ripple. I feel this is bad news for the Democrats and even worse news for the American people. Strong Democrats ran against weak Republicans in Republican strongholds and lost soundly (Gillum and Beto). Weak democrats found bitterly until the end and still lost some elections. Abrams and Nelson almost pulled off victories by scrounging for every ticket they could find. I believe we will see Democrats starting to shift towards more of the Republican tactics to win.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My take. Scott spent $70M. Nelson spent $27M.

10. NewRoxFan

Oh brother...

11. NewRoxFan

republican tactics? Like voter suppression, negative ad campaigns, gerrymandering? scott won by 10,000 votes (down from 12,000 before the manual recount). I wonder how many votes were not counted? Folks will never know, but it is certain that 2020 will be even more contentious.

One area where scott outworked Nelson:

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

F-ck yes! if the progressive Dems start cheating too, there will be only a handful of true republicans left in congress. I've been wanting the Dems to cheat for years. Suppress the Nazi and rural votes.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Florida voters just restored voting rights to millions of people. Relax.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not to defend Democrats, as I agree they have "strategery" problems in general, but America's growing rural-versus-urban split has pretty much permanently locked the Senate (given completely non-proportional representation of rural Americans) into GOP control for the foreseeable future. It's amazing that Dems have one or two in rural states as it is.

15. TricePaige

TricePaige Member

as this has been enthusiastic enough, I'm preping tooth and nail for college midterms. high-stakes involved parallelly. Thanks to campaign rallies and homework help, I can't complain.

#895 TricePaige, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Florida was the most interesting aspect of the midterms because it was an outlier apart from what was about as good of results as Dems could have hoped for other than a surprise win for one of the three high profile long shots (Beto, Gillum, Abrams).

However I think Dems might need to view Florida differently now and put more resources in 2020 in Michigan, WI, Penn, etc. Something is going on in FL and it’s hard to get a firm grasp for it. Miami Dade turnout is a problem. Suburban voters aren’t turning on Trump the way they are in other big metro areas. There’s a lot to figure out and not sure if there’s enough time.

But otherwise it’s an outlier on what is 100% a shalacking for Congress and state races across the country. Trump still has and actually consolidated his power in rural areas. But that won’t keep him in power forever without dictator type BS. If I was a Republican I’d be worried about where he’s going to have to take the country in order to stay in power or be seriously thinking it’s time to start thinking about dumping the clown or else you could have a fully Dem run government in 2020.

But don’t take my word for it. Stick with the guy if you want.

17. NewRoxFan

Good luck with midterms. Both my daughters are as well... fun times in our house.

TricePaige likes this.
  18. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

19. NewRoxFan

Perhaps republicans will regret the Broward County official leaving office?

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Felons who served their time could petition to have their voting rights restored. This new amendment took away that extra step. If a person doesn't take the time to request their voting rights to be restored, Im not sure how motivated they will be to show up at that voting booth. It will be an interesting statistic for the next election.