1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Would be amazing either way, I dont even mind giving up a pick for him, i honestly think super role players can help us get where we need to go. Our super role players proved that last year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm not sure . And I'm not sure there is that player . Porters salary isn't the biggest impediment IMO , it's his salary AND length on his contract .

I think bazemore is more realistic for us financially .... whether he is as good for us as porter is debatable . I tend to think porter is better , but is he that much better that we are willing to pay WAY more for him ? I'm not sure . Should the rockets seek to add the best player ignoring the cost ? That's a valid viewpoint .... but then again we aren't Tillman.

I also think Barnes is more realistic financially given that his deal is a year shorter . However Dallas may not be in quite the same cut costs mode that WAS is in ; but they are still tanking and might trade him for a pick . Is Barnes as good as porter ? Probably not , but then again he was at his best in a lesser role in GS, maybe he can recapture some of that form .

Finally Hardaway has an equal length contract to porter , but is cheaper every year. He's probably a worse player ... and he doesn't have proof that he can be elite in a 3 and D role ... but maybe we are willing to take that gamble. In his last season in ATL he shot 41.4 percent from the corner .

I'm a part of the Otto porter movement , I'm just not sure how realistic it is for us to take on such a salary . In the end , any trade we make is gonna be a risk . We need a risky move to put us in a position where we can realistically compete . Porter is the best fit , but also the biggest financial burden (outside of Hayward and to him I say no way )

lol I just want something to happen

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. basketballholic

Any trade for Otto Porter would have to involve other assets coming back to us. It's just that simple. Washington needs to move him to get rid of the salary and get under the tax line. And we would need the ability to move him back out if needed...without losing assets from where we are now. If we took on Porter in essentially a salary dump....we're doing the Wizards a huge favor. And it's costing us a ton in luxury taxes. So, we gotta be able to move back off Porter's deal.

And really....I think this is going to be the case with every team. It's simply a matter of which team will take on Porter for the least amount of assets coming to them. There's simply not a huge market. Only one team essentially has cap space. Although several teams are below the tax line enough that they could take on some salary without hitting the tax. But if they take on salary....they most likely want an asset themselves.

Bottom line: I can see a deal materializing for us to get Porter closer to the deadline if:

1. something better doesn't come along, and
    2. We get back other assets with Porter so we can move him back out later if necessary.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

Knight/Chriss/nene/2 Firsts for Porter makes perfect sense now. Dump Porter/2 picks two years later.

5. Possum

Possum Member

Is this a serious question? You can’t be that dumb? If so the signature is for people like you and the racist.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Didn’t see but apparently he played better tonight made some let fts down the stretch shot decently.

My friend whose a huge Celtics fan doesn’t think he’ll ever get back to 90% of what he was though.

amaru likes this.
  7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I'm not the one inciting violence.

Pls keep your stochastic terrorism away from me

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Watched tonite. . . he looked ok
    but not 31 million dollars of ok

Rocket River

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I would like him on the team but man he makes to much money.

At some point that has to matter.

I know it’s not our money but still it would severely mess with what we can Dk moving forward.

He would help but in order to take on that kind of salary we would have to be getting back a sure Thing that is a legit all star level player.

Doesn’t have to be a harden or cp3 level guy but atleast a demar derozan Kemba walker caliber player.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Any idea if Morey talking to ORL?

Would love to get Aaron Gordon and Jonathon Simmons. Rockets need more energy guys who can also play switch D.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I bet you any money he is still sending oranges and flowers to Melo in the hospital

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Sir you should get your act together and act kinder towards respected members of this board

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I watched some of that Toronto Vs Boston on the 4 letter network last night …. Hayward is such a smart player & does pretty much everything well. I wouldn't mind having him on this team.

I just don't see it happening at $90m+ over the next 3 seasons. Not when they wouldn't pay Ariza half that.

Nor do I see Boston giving him up for a poo platter of EG , Knight and picks unless the medical issue is … significant.

Boston's window of opportunity is NOW with Lebron gone out West. They aren't very deep into the tax at just about $3m over …. No way I see them moving Hayward.

Bottom line , yes he moves the needle for the Rockets but dude aint available.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Possum

Possum Member

Lol. Snowflake!

15. bratna8

bratna8 Member

@cyberx you hearing anything about any interest on the Washington front?

I'm pretty sure Morey is doing his due diligence.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Revisit this?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's hard to imagine what was proposed.

Knight, Gordon and filler?

It's interesting, and a bet on return to form. He (Hayward) did have that great game against Minny.

I used to be a huge Hayward fan as the right SF fit next to Harden on this squad.

At this point, I might say ok, but it's a big bet. Hayward is due $32 and then $34 million.

Rudyc281 and JamalP. like this.
  18. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

I day roll the dice. Felt like morey would at least contemplate it for weeks now.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Paul to the Lakers
    Hayward to the Rox
    KCP Rondo and a talent to Boston

20. amaru

amaru Member

Ewww

saleem likes this.