1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You say don't go after Porter because he isn't a needle mover. Then offer up and self admit Bazemore isn't a needle mover.

You shoot down Porter and offer no needle movers.

The Clippers aren't offering up expirings for what we would be offering.

What is Porter? I think he is MORE than what he is with the Wizards. But how much more? I don't know for sure.

clutchdabear and steddinotayto like this.
  2. aroundtheblock2

You serious? Philly just traded for Jimmy Butler. Why would they go get another all-star shooting guard? They also dont have any assets they're willing to trade.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

They can still move Fultz (assuming he has value, tbh i don't really know what to think about this), their 1st rounder, Miami 2021 unprotected 1st rounder...they have still some assets left, and Beal would make sense cause he would be a great fit with Simmons and great insurance in case Butler bolts.

Y2JT likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That would be a nasty core of Embiid, Simmons, Butler and Beal.

5. aroundtheblock2

How do they make salaries match? I dont see it. Fultz is still on a rookie deal. Like Porter, Beal has a monster deal albeit hes a far better player than Porter.

6. steddinotayto

Attaching Wilson Chandler and/or JJ on 12/15 should work.

joshuaao likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Always a factor in regards to trades. (as we saw with Minny and Thibs)

BigMaloe, steddinotayto, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Then I should clarify, Porter isn't a needle mover and is paid like superstar. Morey said you don't pay guys like that. He wouldn't even pay Ariza $15M for one year and Porter is $27M per year for the next three. Tilman's pockets aren't unlimited.

If Porter were at least all-defensive team caliber on defense I could understand the love, but he's not even as good defensively one-on-one as Ariza. He's not that kind of lockdown defender or elite team defender, he's just solid.

9. steddinotayto

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that Porter is "overrated" and "isn't very good". Outside of this year where everyone on that team has underachieved, what evidence (statistical or otherwise) can back up your claim that Porter is "overrated" and/or "isn't very good"?

Also, using the fans (much less the Wizards fans) frustration this year as a litmus test on how great or not great a player is considering these are the same fans that love John Wall.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

now that Butler is off the table, Beal is next up in line, but we will be outbid

I don’t think Tilman will want to spend what is essentially close to max money on someone like Otto Porter even tho he would still help this team. He’s an upgrade over what we’d had in Ariza. We’ll see what happens.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Why you guys always wanting wanting wanting?

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fultz + Wilson Chandler (expiring) gets them there.

One thing we can hope for though, Philly is in the East like Washington, maybe they'll prefer to deal with teams in the West just like Minnesota did.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

while this does have truth to it, eventually there's going to come a time where they're going to have to spend. that's just the reality of championship teams. we all love the outplay your contract/value mentality but as we have all just witnessed that can very much put a team in trouble. Not everyone on your roster is going to be at that value price. Sooner or later when you're this close to a championship and just this past year they were very much so, the decision needs to be made to spend while this team has a realistic chance or just continue to be this almost 1 or 2 pieces away from winning. Keeping in mind our guys like cp3 and harden continue to get one year older as well as some of the other established vets. The rockets are locked in on several positions. Solidifying the very few left is based on whether or not its worth it to spend the money to do so.

MrButtocks likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

U should always be looking at ways to upgrade the team.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

I think you're mistaken--I actually am always wanting wanting. I'm offended by that third "wanting".

16. aroundtheblock2

The 6ers are over the cap. You're sending out $19 million for $28 million return.

Fultz isnt an attractive option either. Wall is being chided for his lack of shooting prowess and Fultz is going to be even worse.

17. aroundtheblock2

Porter has a year and $44-$46 million more on his deal. Bazemore helps and isnt a horrible contract and hes also playing significantly better.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

the issue is bazemore isn't a better player though

clutchdabear and steddinotayto like this.
  19. aroundtheblock2

If Porters contract left was 2 years/$40 million like Ryno it would be a no brainer. Not great contract wise, but worth it given the goals of the team.

Reeko likes this.
  20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If Morey can't land a Porter or Beal, it'll be disappointing. Wizards are going full tank mode so they'll want all the picks they can get.

Otto Porter is an upgrade for us at the SF but he's so damn overpaid for what he provides. 26mil/year... he's getting paid more than his teammate Beal.