1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The “Next Wilt Chamberlain” Award Winner: Clint Capela

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Man Dingo

Man Dingo Member

that's not what I said. I said he has 40 years of peak perhaps

SO he could have been 15 to 55 for him. I doubt he was peaking at 60+. Never did I say he lost his virginity at 23. Obviously he lost it way before.

If you're going to c*m at me, you better make sure you comprehend what I post.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Oh. Thanks.

In that case I think I do remember it. I was also really confused by the free-throw stats that people were citing. ;)

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you mean the chin?

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think he peaked at age 63 and it's what killed him. 63 is too old to go through 1000 women in a year.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

But I just saw stats used to support Clint as less efficient/productive than Hartenstein.

Perhaps Hartenstein should be next Wilt Chamberlain winner.

6. basketballholic

Wilt was a turnover machine and an ineffective free throw shooter. And that's why Russell beat his brains in practically every time they played. Boston would funnel the ball to Wilt then attack him with the blindside double. Russell would hold him just long enough in the post for the blindside defender to either strip him or force him to throw it away or force him to turn into Russell, who then stripped Wilt himself. Wilt never could adjust quickly enough. By the time he adjusted, Boston was already on to the rotating D and picking off his passes.

Wilt dominated the usage and his teammates could never get a rhythm. Good enough to win regular season games. But in the playoffs he got beat year after year after year by Russell. Not efficient with all those possessions before turnovers were tracked. If they had tracked turnovers Wilt probably averaged 6 a game for his career. He was not efficient enough for his usage and the Celtics always knew what he was going to do.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

* Russell played Wilt way tougher than anyone else he ever faced.
    * Russell had a far superior team
    * Russell did not have to carry his team offensively
    * That's fine if you want to give me some nuanced explanation of these stats, but they definitely do not show "Russell beating his brain in."

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=PAGXr

Player------------------G--W--L---FG---FGA----FG%--FT----FTA----FT%----TRB---AST---PTS
    Bill Russell
    -----------94-57-37--5.9--15.9---.370----2.4----4.4----.543----22.9---4.4----14.2
    Wilt Chamberlain-94-37-57-12.0--24.6--.488----5.9---12.0---.493----28.2---3.8-----29.9

#67 DCkid, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  8. basketballholic

Russell won something like 7 or 8 playoff series against Wilt and Wilt beat him once. Russl beat his brains in. Those monster numbers do not reflect how inefficient Wilt was against Russell. The ball game scores and the playoff/championship series records reflect it. Wilt won once.

"Wilt always had bad teammates" is an excuse. Wilt didn't use his teammates. He was the biggest ball hog ever in sports.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

And "ball game scores and the playoff/championship series records reflect" that Russell personally beat Wilt's brains in is nothing but lazy analysis. Always will be in any era, in any sport.

Alternative take.
    • Russell's team beat Wilt's team.
    • Wilt scored twice as many points as Russell in head to head matchups
    • Will out-rebounded Russell
    • Russell shot 37% in 94 games against Wilt. I obviously didn't watch these games. However, Russell's offensive stats throughout his career leave me no choice but to question the extent of his greatness. It is just inconceivable how a ridiculously athletic big man can shoot such low percentages throughout this career. Much less, in a era where size and athleticism weren't as ubiquitous as they are today. I want to watch some of Russell's game just to discover how he even managed to achieve such offensive ineptness. 37% Field Goal Percentage over an enormous sample size!
    In summary, it's not fair to say that Russell beat his brains in while letting Wilt score 30ppg on 48% shooting, and ignoring Wilt holding him to 14ppg on 37% shooting. Sorry, those number discrepancies are too extreme to be telling lies. If anything, it shows that Russell was the one taking more shots than he should have.

#69 DCkid, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nice praise, but Clint could never be Wilt-esque simply due to size and strength.

Their athleticism is similar, but Wilt was also bigger and stronger than most players. Clint fails severely in BOTH those fronts.

11. basketballholic

Wilt was his team according to you and sloppy historians.

And that's the problem. Truly great players realize it is a team game and they make their teammates better. Guys like Wilt suck up all the oxygen and make their teammates worse and in the process they limit their own winning.

WIlt and Westbrook. Cut from the same basketball cloth.