1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I get sentimental with CFM so I’m cool with bringing him back and even paying him $30M+ over the next 2 years, but I can’t help but think Luhnow could find a more impactful use for that money.

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah Luhnow isn't the type to unnecessarily spend money.... couple that with us not offering him the QO, leads me to believe the likely money offered is less than 30 million.

Hemingway likes this.
  3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Yup, I feel exactly the same regarding CFM and Marwin. That HR Marwin hit against Jansen has basically defined our entire organization thus far. And due to that hit, we all got to witness one of the greatest World Series' ever played. Of course I am probably biased, but looking at it objectively, there were some tremendous back and forth moments throughout.

So could we be more efficient with our funds if we didn't sign CFM or Marwin? Probably. But sign me the guys that were instrumental in our first ever WS win, even if it means overpaying by a few million. Consider it part of their WS bonuses.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He turned down a one-year deal worth ~$18MM; I would be shocked if this offer is more, at least in terms of the first year (no idea what the option might look like). I just don't think the Astros would commit limited resources to a pitcher who they know is limited, in terms of his starts/innings.

5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

No way on earth its higher then 11m per.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nats sign Kurt Suzuki. Seemingly takes a buyer out of the market for the 3 best available catchers (Realmuto, Grandal, Ramos).

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Mets are doing work on any and all FA SP. In prelude to Trading THOR.

8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Care to put a wager on that? If he signs for more than 11M per annum, you have to stop posting here. Deal?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

From my perspective there should be only 10 teams looking for a starting catcher:

Astros
    Dodgers
    Braves
    Rockies
    Angels
    A’s
    Mariners
    Red Sox
    Phillies
    Mets

The Phillies (Alfaro), Mets (Darnaud/Plawecki), and Red Sox (Vasquez/Leon/Swihart) could very well stand pat. The A’s and Mariners are likely to be out on the expensive options and will go with 2nd or 3rd tier guys (Lucroy, Wieters). So that leaves 5 teams (Astros, Dodgers, Braves, Rockies, Angels) for 3 stars. I don’t see Ramos or Grandal signing with an NL team, since they may need DH time to get full value. So my guess is Realmuto to the Dodgers (Ruiz makes too much sense as a headliner), with Houston and the Angels each getting one of Grandal/Ramos. McCann to the Braves (a platoon with Flowers should be decent enough and McCann working with their young pitchers will be a good match). The Rockies will be stuck with one of Chirinos, Maldonado, or Mesoraco, which isn’t that bad because all 3 have the type of bats that could see a boost in Denver.

#709 Snake Diggit, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  10. prospecthugger

It reduces their urgency, but I'll bet they envision Suzuki as a backup.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Major

Major Member

Wait - Morton turned down an $18MM offer somewhere?

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s a really low price. Suzuki is no star but $5M/yr for an above average starting catcher is a bargain.

Marteen likes this.
  14. texans1095

texans1095 Member

When did he turn down a one-year ~$18 MM deal?

15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I'm guessing he meant Luhnow turned down offering him 18mil (QO). Why else would OP be shocked if the offer is more than what Morton rejected if it is reported that the Astros offered Morton a 1 year deal

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Would do that in a heartbeat. Acquiring Paxton will be difficult but that’s a fair package. May require a lottery ticket on top of that, but acquiring Paxton without giving up Whitley or Tucker would be a win in my I'm

kaleidosky likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Oh gotcha - yeah, I I agree there's no way we'd offer more than $18MM in Year 1. I just couldn't figure out who rejected $18MM. I assume he must have meant we just weren't willing to offer $18MM.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Man, coaches are dropping like flies.