1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week 8

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 22, 2018.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The Pack have put the Rams on ice. The Rams offense is completely shutdown right now.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

I turned off shortly after the start of the 4th but doesn't appear he was.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

SF-ARZ game looking anemic, just from box score watching.

I wish Larry Fitzgerald played for a contender.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Downing the ball at the 1 yard-line and getting the safety was game-changing. At 23-13 and the Rams scoring two straight TDs, Packers need Aaron Rodgers to be in GOAT mode the rest of the way.

EDIT: Davante Adams owns Marcus Peters.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree on the 3 but don't rule out Baker Mayfield. He plays for a dysfunctional franchise where the head coach and OC are at war with each other. This is not conducive to development.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But that's exactly why he may not make it... unless that franchise finds a diamond in the rough like a Sean McVay, there isn't enough stability there to expect any young player with promise to have a chance.

Jared Goff's career was in limbo playing under Jeff Fisher... McVay resurrected it.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, we all agree that Wade Phillips' defense is exactly the same year to year.... when his players make plays, they're good. When they don't, teams know how to beat them.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Baker has much more upside than Jared Goff. Let's wait on the Browns to clean house. They basically set themselves on fire by hiring Hugh Jackson, who has no business being a head coach. It's clearly past his level of competence. Give them a chance to make the right hire after the season ends.

If they don't bring in a regime worthy of Baker's talent, I'll accept your point of view.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I've never been a big fan of Goff.

I don't think hes nearly as talented as the other guys I mentioned and I think if Todd Gurley were out he wouldn't be nearly as effective.

buffalobills!!! and plutoblue11 like this.
  10. conquistador#11

i suppose the talk of luck losing his arm and never being able to throw the ball was overly dramatized.
    He look ok.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Damn, we gettin' the 2 GOATs next week?! :eek:

Nice NBC promo.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If that's the case, why did they even bring back Hue Jackson?

And now they're actually going to consult Baker before they make any firing choices?

Just doesn't give me optimism in a team/front office that consciously decided to go with this regime when drafting their 112th QB of the future... and now are consulting with him (even though he hasn't really proven much in the NFL) before figuring out what to do.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I still don't why people are so high on the Vikings. The Saints are really good, but the Vikings are playing like the Bills.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They hired Hue Jackson because Andy Dalton went next level with him as OC. Dalton had the highest passer rating in the NFL 3 years ago but broke his thumb against the Steelers late in the season. That year, the Bengals looked like a legit Super Bowl threat. (They made the playoffs and lost to the Steelers in a very memorable playoff game that made Vontaze Burfict famous to the general public).

On the surface, it seemed like a logical hire. I said at the time the Browns were making a mistake, but nobody saw a 1-31 record coming. What a complete flaming disaster! They probably kept him around because no decent coach wanted the job.

With Baker, Jarvis Landry, Myles Garrett, etc, the job should be attractive now. Let's see if they blow it again. Whatever happens will offer Baker a better chance to succeed than he has now.

buffalobills!!! and plutoblue11 like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Regardless of the franchise, its still quite prestigious to be an NFL coach. I have a hard time believing that they couldn't recruit somebody better.

And as it is, they could have hired a coach prior to the draft when they knew they were going to take Baker... but the fact they stuck with Jackson means they felt he would be the best one to groom him, and they were basically willing to ignore his record.

I just don't think franchises get very far by making mid-season reactionary decisions, and consulting rookie players on what to do.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When I lose an argument, I lose it in spades.

Thanks Browns!

#37 A_3PO, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  18. buffalobills!!!

I don't know why people are probably high on the Saints.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. jsingles

jsingles Member

He's never been a running threat, but to see Brady not even average 4 yards per game on the ground was pretty shocking.