1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roughing Call....

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Tomstro, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Buck Turgidson

Did Hughes say that is what happened?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buff..._finish_sack_of_titans_qb_marcus_mariota.html

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...out-roughing-marcus-mariota-so-he-let-him-go/

Hughes was scared to try and sack Mariota.

"I made an inside move and I'm underneath the quarterback at that point in time. When I go to wrap you up I'm naturally low so I'm naturally underneath you," Hughes said. "If I pick him up and finish him, it's a 15-yard penalty and they might score (a touchdown) on that drive. It's a tough situation to be in, and I'm very thankful that our secondary played lights out all day and got us off the field."

Hughes asked the referee for clarification on how he should go about trying to sack the quarterback.

"I spoke to the white hat and he just told me just to wrap up and drive him backwards and they'll blow the whistle and mark his forward progress," Hughes said. "Now I know for the future. I found myself in a very vulnerable position and what do you do? Do you finish the tackle or just hold onto him? Now I know."

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I felt like Clowney had Prescott in his grasp for big hits multiple times but went with arm tackles to not draw a flag. Except Prescott easily shrugged it off and made big play after play. These new rules are terrible.

J.R. likes this.
  6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Love the COD commercial during the Texans game last night.