1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Freedom of Movement" rule and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Is the emphasis on "freedom of movement" good or bad for the Rockets?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2018.
  1. Good

20.0%
  2. Bad

55.2%
  3. Not an issue, because the refs will stop calling it soon OR because it won't impact our offense

24.8%
  1. j@amc

j@amc Member

Fair enough. It was never really legal to grab a player, but my larger point is that the adjustment period of this "point of emphasis" will be about like the change in play when 2 hands were no longer allowed. Give it a month.

I'm with you on screens (I think). My take is that all moving screens should be fouls, and that for player safety, a player should never be allowed to go through another player that has set a screen. You can fight over the top but never dislodge a player that is stationary. In my opinion, that should always be a foul on the player that initiates contact. If the person is stationary and has set a legal screen, go around. Make contact with a screener and dislodge them, it's a foul. Remove the ambiguity. Force teams that want to guard closely to switch.

Some of you would roll your eyes and say, "If we do that, how are we going to guard these guys?" Here's my remaining wish list on rules:
    • Allow all zones and double teams. Allow coaches to be creative.
    • Adopt all the international rules for goaltending. Give the paint back to the big men. If you want to scoop it off the glass, fine. We can take it off the glass or even the rim.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The problem is the enforcement of this rule makes the game unwatchable, nobody wants to see freethrows and stoppage of play.

I think eventually the NBA will tell the refs to back off again when games drags on and fans starts to complain.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: All defenses are allowed. There are no illegal zone rules anymore, or limitations on doubling, etc, except for Defensive 3 Seconds. Defensive 3 Seconds is the only NBA rule limiting defensive schemes that college and FIBA doesn't have.

don grahamleone, YOLO and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

our only chance is to
    1 go crazy from 3 and win by a lot 30-40pts so that it becomes very hard for the refs to influence the game or
    2 Morey to find a way to pay the refs or silver under the table

esketit likes this.
  5. Rocketsfan3422

This helps the Rockets. We switch defensively, and we pick and roll every play

6. j@amc

j@amc Member

Yes, I can't wait for this rule to go away. Because you can't play zone if you can only provide help for 3 seconds. You're on a clock. I think defenders should have total freedom like they have in FIBA play.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

The NBA got scared that the Rockets almost won and the refs were barely able to pull the warriors into the finals, so they actually went and changed the rules lol.

i'm sorry but i'd be so pissed if i worked or played for the rockets. I'd be willing to go ALL in this year. whatever it costs. just ruin the NBA's plans, make them rewrite the storyline, and stop the handouts to the warriors.

alethios, topfive, DonKnock and 4 others like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's not what 3 seconds, means.

You can provide help all you want. You can be in the lane forever, as long as you’re within arms length, and you can switch who you are guarding.

And if you aren’t in the lane, you can do anything, just like College and FIBA.

3 seconds is about guarding no one, while standing in the lane, and you just jump out to reset the 3 seconds. It’s not really that hurtful to playing zone in the NBA. Teams play zone all the time.

#48 heypartner, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

This means Curry can run around the court and no one can touch him.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Whatever helps the Warriors is good for the NBA. That’s all it is.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fk this rule I hate it ! It will somehow help the Warriors YULE C

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bingo
    Just another PRO WARRIORs rule change

Some felt that teams were Roughing up the Splash Brothers

Rocket River

DonKnock likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i hope morey is working on the new deal with foster brothers as we speak.. I am confident morey will crack the refs code as he cracked all of the nba codes
    #thenewmath

D-rock likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

More garbage from the NBA & their corrupt refs.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All the rule changes always favor smaller players.

I remember Yao would get the most BS foul calls, Dwight too, for basically using any strength in the low post to get to the basket.

The refs one day started emphasizing that call and it has destroyed post play. Now remember, there was always a rule against lowering your shoulder and running over people. The league was fine with it when Shaq was playing for the Lakers, after that though they seemed to have a different stance for it and started rewarding flopping. We now realize that flopping as a player is backing you down is GOOD defense. We call this good defense, in the 90s though, to don't let the other man back you down and if he does you raise your arms up and try to affect the shot.

So rule emphasis applied over a long period of time can heavily affect the game. If they call this like they did last night then it will be a lot harder to play defense. It will be just like how the NFL is now, can't touch WRs, can't hit QBs, defense is no longer important and all that matters is who scores more.

Eventually you take it far enough and big men are gone entirely from the game. If you can't touch players running through screens then switch everything. We'll have wing players like Giannis being centers and actual big hulking centers just get phased out of the game entirely since they can't switch. It really feels like we are headed this way.

da_juice and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Ray Parker

Ray Parker Member

I was so annoyed watching the antics of the refs last night. Horrific display from them.

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  17. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I dont mind the 14 second on the shotclock on offensive rebounds but if it leads to defenses getting worse then that would suck for the Rockets going up against not just the Warriors but also lesser teams such as the Spurs and Celtics...

18. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

With you 100%, the margin of error was already mind bogglingly low against the Warriors, now these rule changes makes it virtually impossible to guard them. That team is going to either shoot 60 free throws a game or score 130 without breaking a sweat...

Rocket River likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

except when its Eric Gordon attacking Draymond Green in the paint

DonKnock, D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Warriors impede progress like crazy on defense while we switch and allow a better positioned defender to slip the guy unimpeded. I think we'll be okay if the refs call what they see and not the team's reputation. Last year we got hosed by refs in the Warriors series for nothing other than anti-Rocket type calls. It felt rigged during those last two games especially. We were up big in game 6 & 7 until the refs took over.

D-rock likes this.