1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Freedom of Movement" rule and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Is the emphasis on "freedom of movement" good or bad for the Rockets?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2018.
  1. Good

20.0%
  2. Bad

55.2%
  3. Not an issue, because the refs will stop calling it soon OR because it won't impact our offense

24.8%
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agree with everyone else that this is bullshit . We scared the warriors last year by playing physically and this year we won't be able to do that .

BaselineFade, slothy420 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. j@amc

j@amc Member

I totally disagree. This rule is all about how players grab jerseys and don't move their feet. It's a solid rule improvement because grabbing should be eliminated from the game. I think that you'll see more teams switch--just like we do.

One player who will have to change his entire approach is Draymond Green. I hope they'll watch him because he is notorious for grabbing help defenders and keeping them from being able to have free movement to help.

This rule change is a big adjustment. It reminds me when they finally agreed that it was a foul to put two hands on a player on defense. There was a lot of squawking, but the players decided that they wanted to play rather than foul out...

I say call the fouls and be consistent. Players who don't adjust can watch from the bench.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm fine with the rule, as it's just part of "classic" basketball that I learned growing up. Meaning... OF COURSE, you shouldn't be able to grab, bump, hit, moving block, etc... those are fouls.

However, the part I'm not fine with has been the opposite side, which is the moving screens. Moving screens are a problem, IMO, across the NBA, but most obviously with the GSW, and the most obvious examples of that being in the 3rd quarter of game 7 last year where Jordan Bell decided he would just moving screen everything since they weren't going to call it.

I think if you called it "classic" both ways, it'd be a big net negative for the Warriors, are their entire offense is predicated on moving screens. Mind you, I'm not taking credit away from them or blaming them or anything. Very smart offense given the rules as they are called.

#23 JayZ750, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    alethios, hakeem94 and heypartner like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The problem is they WON'T call it on Green, but WILL call it on the Rockets perimeter players trying to be physical with GSW cutters and movers like Curry and Thompson. Guys in the interior? Nothing gets called there.

Yeah, consistency would be great. Don't hold your breathe on that one though.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

minor point: it's not a rule change. This is a Point of Emphasis of the existing rules.

If they can make grabbing, etc a PoE, then they can make Moving Screens a PoE. But they won't. Thus, as @JayZ750 said thoroughly, the lack of balance of emphasis is bs.

Grabbing, bumping offensive players is complementary defensive rule to Moving Screens that impede movement.

#25 heypartner, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    MorningZippo, saleem and Deuce like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

imho there was a moving screen emphasis back then when dwight was on rockets...it was his first or second year here

saleem, Deuce and heypartner like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This will likely hurt us because as many have said, it will not be applied equally.

On offense the Warriors move a ton which means they have a lot to gain from this rule.

On defense though they mug so you would think they would be hurt by it. However, no chance they get fouls like this called on them.

So yes, I expect this to be a huge help to the Warriors and a hindrance to the Rockets. It won't be too drastic because by switching we shouldn't be grabbing too much, but it will still hurt.

D-rock and slothy420 like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How about stuff like this:

Is that impeding freedom of movement? lol

9. alethios

alethios Member

Kerr: "If we had had the freedom of movement fouls called, we would have won the WCF 4-1."

topfive, D-rock, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  10. hakeemthagreat

I'm telling you the NBA is rigged. Last year they made a bogus "Harden rule". This year it's another stupid rule that'll hurt us. This player movement rule was created for GS & the Lakers, which essentially means Lebron. The league didn't expect us to get that close to beating GS. So they put in a bogus rule that'll be used selectively if they get behind. The Lakers will lead the league in fts this year

Why not?, esketit and DonKnock like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's worst than that. You forgot to add the rule will be ignored in the playoffs because apparently the standard nba rulebook is thrown out for the playoffs for some stupid reason. Hey!, I got a great idea!! Let's play 82 games * 30 teams with an official rule book and then let's ignore big sections of it for the playoffs, YAY!!!

DonKnock likes this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

In theory, the rule should help Harden immensely, because he is one of the players that is most frequently held.

In practice tho:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  13. esketit

esketit Member

during inbounding situations i agree but i feel like they are focusing mostly focusing on offball player movement during the shot clock...i fear

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. esketit

esketit Member

i agree. we just gotta push through it. The nba made a "harden rule" and our guy responded by winning the mvp.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Like this:

"Foul on the floor...no dunk, no FTs. Curry touched Harden."

[​IMG]

16. macan

macan Member

the league office saw we abused his little g.s. worriers with physical plays, that's why they make another new rule on top of last year's Harden rule..just to make sure their golden child to win the ring again...

17. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Its worse than the replay

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Why not?

Why not? Member

Total trash rule that I believe is only being implemented because the league saw how poorly the Warriors play when they are defended how we defended them in the WCF.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  19. alethios

alethios Member

Seems like more effort by the league to cut down on Harden's continuation fouls and the resultant and-1s

Rocket River likes this.
  20. hakeemthagreat

I agree. But it's frustrating watching a game we ALL love be watered down for a generation of fans that don't like competition. The league is catering to a demographic that only checks boxscore stats & analytics. They only wanna see highlight dunks & 3's. Watching a competitive game isn't a priority

Crashlanded19 and esketit like this.