1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Time Bomb in Miami

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by j@amc, Sep 12, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

saleem and Vivi like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

^ More like one last season of "gettin' dem checks"

Rashmon and hakeem94 like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why in the world did they re-sign Ellington? My guess is there going to be trading him for a 2nd as a soon as they possibly can. It's not worth it for them to stretch Waiters or Johnson, nor attach an asset to either of them in a trade.

da_juice likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Perhaps it is unlikely now that Miami will make big roster moves since they have the "Wade Farewell Tour, Let's compete in the playoffs" season coming up.

da_juice likes this.
  5. craguin

craguin Member

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  6. craguin

craguin Member

Vivi likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dion Waiters contract moves itself to bottom of the list.

basketballholic likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Yep.

This should tell us something about rumors.

Remember the talk about Waiters and James Johnson for Anderson???????

Everybody should have known that was bs just by looking at their contracts. Both guys are owed an extra year over Anderson. That deal autos have gas to include Nene and Winslow just to be even. Much less us throwing in a pick???????????

I told some if you in DM's that that want happening.....didn't I? Just a ridiculous idea even in the face of ask the great James Johnson highlight videos being posted. LOL. Silliness.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Wow! NEVER would have guessed Miami were that high. Not so much a time bomb as a suicide vest. Reminds me of the Knicks under Thomas...salary inversely related to performance. Had to wonder...where does it all go?

See any superstars on that team?? Tyler Johnson? ???

Ya think? Same problem the Knicks had...how do you actually get rid of bad contracts, when your team is full of them?? It isn't easy. Especially if the Heat don't have other sweeteners to throw into the deal (draft picks, etc). You mostly have to sweat them out until they become expiring contracts, which then do have some value on their own.

10. craguin

craguin Member

More on Waiters, re: incentive/bonus...

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  11. j@amc

j@amc Member

Maybe Riley believes he can pair Butler and Wade for a final hurrah (with the hopes of getting Butler on a longer extension). But to make any plan like this work, I think Riley would have to jettison Winslow. To me, this screams a three way deal. If I'm the Rockets, I'd offer pieces in a deal that facilitates Butler to Miami so that Winslow ends up in Houston. He'd fit in perfectly.

12. basketballholic

Not likely. IF Miami wants Butler AND they're willing to give up Winslow, then Minny will do that deal for Winslow and never look back. Minny world probably even take on salary to get Winslow, more incoming, then outgoing, and may even tip into the luxury tax if they could get Winslow.

But.....I think Miami is the team that winds up passing on a Butler deal. I'm oki sure they'll be able to get a better deal that adv expiring butler at the deadline and still get out of the tax.

13. j@amc

j@amc Member

Fair enough. But I don't see how Minnesota could make Winslow and Wiggins work together. That's a weird pairing. Seems to me that Miami would need someone who could give them some shooting (like we could).

D-rock likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Minny has been shopping Wiggins all summer. I know that for a fact. @Codman is leaving the impression to me that they've got a taker. I have no idea who would want him. Maybe a team like Portland would trade trash and a pick for him????? I just don't see much of a market for a guy on a long term max deal that has become just a run-of-the-mill common ordinary player at the NBA level with work ethic issues?????? Maybe Atlanta with Bazemore??????

I don't see Wiggins having anything but neutral trade value at this point.

I know he's been shopped by Minny extensively. I have no idea what teams have expressed interest and what they'd be willing to give up.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Andrew Wiggins is going into his 5th season in the NBA.

Andrew Wiggins has regressed for three straight seasons.

Andrew Wiggins is owed... $150,000,000 over the next 5 years... that isn’t a typo.... $150,000,000.

There is no way he has “neutral value”....

Off the top of my head I cannot think of a worse contract in the NBA.

I respect Codman but will be shocked if anyone deals anything of any remote value for him.

I don’t even think Miami would deal their worse contracts for him because of the length of his deal, which is franchise destroying.

Deuce, Vivi, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  16. basketballholic

I agree with all this. I would consider neutral value as especially expiring contracts grim a team that's going to be over the cap next summer anyways exec after expiring contexts. I think a franchise would be dumb to trade for him. But there's a couple dumb ones out there still. So you never know.

I do respect @Codman. He's legit and gets legit info. But we should understand even in legit info there's a lot of lying going on. And I think this is probably one of those instances. I do not see any hope for the wolves to trade Wiggins short of them sending out assets with him. And then again, I don't know what team cited possibly want him even for the assets when he is owed so much and may never improve and seems to be floundering in mediocrity.

Vivi and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The Heat did not want Ryan Anderson and we’re not interested in moving Johnson for Ryan Anderson.

The Heat also were not interested in trading Richardson for a late #1 and a mediocre contract.

Also the Heat are not especially worried about their payroll in 2020-2021 so Anderson did not really interest them.

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

Well, obviously Minnesota is a time bomb as well, but I don’t think they have near the problems that Miami has on paper. Minnesota has player persoanlity problems, and Wiggins seems to be settling.

If Minnesota has a taker for him, they should pull the trigger. I don’t think a deal like that will last.

This thread is trying to track the Miami fallout once the bomb stops ticking. Does Riley let another opportunity go by, hoping that they’ll just get better? Or is he inclined to make a Butler offer?

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

How come some people here are so high on Winslow? He can't shoot.
    "Would fit perfectly with Rockets"? WTF?

D-rock likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Winslow has been a bust so far.