1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CF's Fantasy Footy Smack Board 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Rocketball, Sep 5, 2018.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Anyone paying attention to the NFL since 2017.

They were the worst pass defense in the league last season and they lost Marcus Peters.

Looks like that 6th round QB pick is really paying dividends for you.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It was a boom or bust pick and it's been bust so far. At least I didn't pick Freeman in the 2nd or Henry in the 4th.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I guess I'll just have to take solace in the fact that I have Todd Gurley and 6 Top 25 WRs.

But please, continue to enlighten us mere mortals with your QB matters takes.

BTW - QB1 is sitting on the waiver wire as we speak.

4. SamCassell

I give. You're right. Congrats on winning the league every year with your superior knowledge. And good job using analytics to draft Todd Gurley #1.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's as if all the ADP QB's that sat just outside the top 12 are the ones that are good so far, powerLULZ. Fitzpatrick, Mahomes, Big Ben, Rivers.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all BOTH lost the most recent championship so congrats to the both of you. Bozos.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Results do not invalidate my argument.

Like in poker, everything is about probability. Playing sub-optimal at the poker table gets you outed quickly. However, even playing optimal isn't 100% successful. There are no guarantees because of variance. You are simply trying to make the best decisions in order to minimize errors that are within your control.

You openly questioned my decision making for not taking a QB early on. I am not saying taking Watson in the 6th round was a bad decision. The upside warranted the selection. What I am saying is that it is foolish to chastise somebody else for choosing to ignore the QB position in the first 10 rounds or so because as the season progresses, there will inevitably be QBs who finish in the Top 10 who were drafted late or not at all.

Now does this happen with RB/WR? Yes, but not at the level in which it happens with QB, not even close. Why? Because there is far less competition for a QB. If a stud RB is suddenly on the waiver wire, everyone is going to put in a claim to try and get him. Meanwhile Ryan Fitzpatrick can have the greatest 2 week QB stretch in NFL history and wasn't even on a bench. Why? Because most likely there are 8/10 teams that are perfectly fine with their starting QB situation and aren't looking to improve it.

Just stating the facts.

8. SamCassell

I mean, at some point results matter, right? One week might not tell very much about process but a decade+ of league data is a good starting point for analysis.

I think you took more offense to my question about you taking flex guys for the first 9 picks, than was meant. If there was any "open questioning" or "chastising" going on, it was you calling me out first for being dumb enough to pick Zach Brown over the (now-injured) Bobby Wagner. I responded from there. Just facts.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You better CHILL and remember who you're talking to, he has an ENDLESSSSS stash of incredibly BORINGGGGG WRs, lulz.

SamCassell likes this.
  10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't remember calling you "dumb", but it did surprise me that Wagner was faded so hard in this league. Maybe it was warranted. He's on the shelf now.

I guess we can only see how this season plays out.

As long as @Ziggy loses I will be satisfied.

11. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

my 2 cents. noone ever wins a league in their draft. You draft to set up a foundation, to later build on. There have been many theories on the most efficient way to draft, but at the end of the day its your team, you do it your way. Its still too early to say who will win or not, season is young, tons of things can happen. So lets keep grinding it out and have some fun.

Rockets34Legend likes this.
  12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

This is a great post, and I completely agree. I have been doing this for a long time and do not believe there is any "optimal" strategy to win a league. I have seen championships won with many different team structures. Hell, in my best season ever I drafted Peyton Manning in the first round. However, overall I find that I usually have the most success with a balanced approach, rather than loading up on any one 1-2 positions.

One thing I have found is that it is a lot harder to gain a competitive advantage due to the proliferation of information these days and the mainstream acceptance of fantasy football. 10+ years ago, doing research really paid off and allowed you to get an edge over other players. These days, there is so much information out there with rankings, sleeper lists, etc., that the average Joe with a cheat sheet can have just as good a shot at putting together a strong team as someone who takes the time to put in hours of research and preparation. Because of this, I have begun looking at fantasy sports as more of a game of chance rather than a game of skill these past few years. Even without much ability to obtain a competitive advantage, it is still fun to draft a team and track your guys each week.

I do agree that being active throughout the season and using the waiver wire can be one way to gain an edge, however.

I find moe has been just a bit condescending ever since he started marketing himself as a fantasy football expert the last year or so, but the stuff he is saying about value based drafting has been around for a long time. The earliest I can remember are articles from Joe Bryant and David Dodds. However, that's just one way to go about things. Every season is different, and I do not think loading up on mid round WR/RBs at the expense of other positions because of perceived replacement talent on the waiver wire is always going to work each and every year. There are other valid ways to build a team that can work out just as well. As I mentioned, a balanced approach has usually worked best for me most of the time, but more and more I find it's all getting to be pretty much a crap shoot.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulzzz. But that's all he has in life, give him something.
    [​IMG]

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I just have a fiery passion for fantasy football.

Now excuse me I have to continue "marketing myself" as an expert.

Visit moesfantasy.com and use promo code: CANADASUCKS for 10% off your first week.

15. Mikeylu

moe snatched latavius murray like a hawk..prolly should have kept him..need more roster spots =/

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh that guy has NO life, he constantly hits refresh on rotoworld.com. He picks everyone up first. But still doesn't win. You'll get used to it.

Mikeylu likes this.
  17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Myles Garrett.

18. Mikeylu

welp..rather get blown out..then lose a close one..lol

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Matt Ryan, QB, ATL. :)

Mikeylu likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The position I neglect is my only good position. Diamond Level QB play.