1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rams sign Aaron Donald to 6-year, $135M extension

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Time to pickup Mack aswell **** it

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Makes me wonder what Clowney will get... I expect a monster season from him. He wants that payday.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is QB money. Good for him for getting it.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm super green when it comes to the NFL and payroll, contracts, cap management. Relative to my NBA knowledge at least.
    So other than QBs...

Could you split Donald's contract in half and pay two REALLY solid but not amazing like Donald d lineman, and get better value? Genuinely curious.

I recognize there's a bit of a timing play here as well. The last great guy to get paid is always the new highest.

That said, you could get any two of the guys other than the top 12 on this list: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-end/

I truly am curious. I don't know how much "extra" value Donald gives you by being as uniquely awesome as he is.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Defensive players are tricky, when it comes to be big contracts. Because, sometimes one player can be the sole reason a defensive is adequate or average (being surrounding by a bunch of mediocre talents). On the other hand, a player can be well-above average, and in fact an elite level talent, but may not have enough impact to carry a bad defense.

With Donald, he can do everything, he can stop the run, get after the QB, and take up blockers. Those are the qualities that supreme defensive player needs to have and he has all of that.

22.5 MM a year would be equal to two very above average, I dare say two pro-bowlers.

https://overthecap.com/position/defensive-line/

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thanks.

Seems like it’d be better to have the two players but for the fact you can’t jist go out and get two pro bowlers all easy like.

Donald has been perfectly healthy too. We know that doesn’t always continue. Another reason diversifying the cap seems to make more sense to me.