1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Were we the deepest team in the nba history last year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Aug 12, 2018.

1. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Short answer, NO

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dantley got traded out Detroit

This must be a case of someone googling teams and making up stuff out of thin air

99ers - knowledge first

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

[​IMG]

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Deepest Rockets team I can remember was that 2009 team with Yao, Tracy, Artest, Battier, Brooks, Lowry, Scola, Landry, Dikembe, Hayes...freaking Von Wafer. We took the Lakers to 7 without Tracy, Yao, Dikembe... We all know what happened that year. Tracy took a look at the roster pre-season and was like, ****, this time I might actually be FAVORED to win it all. The pressure is unbearable! Gotta tap out somehow.

Never forget.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

is bigbum's knowledge of the nba the deepest of any troll this year? :eek:

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two people on this thread knew something was wrong when Adrian Dantley’s name was mentioned

This is the equivalent of asking for a steak at a vegan restaurant

plutoblue11 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

ya, nene was way less useful/even getting minutes throughout this regular season.

ryno took a sharp drop off in the regular season and we never got a rhythm with him in our rotations.

yes, luc got hurt way before the playoffs and we hoped he'd be healthy enough for the WCF. Then he blew 6 layups and said he wasn't confident with his shoulder. I don't know what kind of backup would have been up to D'Antoni's standards to get any meaningful minutes. Were there other defenders out there available? Regardless, I think Luc was our most important bench player that we didn't get to play.

Totally agree with the cp3 point. It would be nice to have a solid backup, doesn't even have to be a playmaker, just someone who is average (preferably good) at D, and can shoot the occasional 3-ball.

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

ᑎO ᔕIᖇ

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

MCW?

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He led that team in scoring three straight years didn’t he? I like Dantley, but he was just traded right? Maybe op is considering Aguirre as the same person?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Coach has to make Use of that Depth.

12. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

Short answer - - NO.

Long answer - - Of course NOT.

topfive likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We're talking about the 88-89 team, reknowned for getting over the hump via that trade -- much like the Rasheed trade is oft cited reason for the 2004 chip. Was just commenting that I find it odd to not mention Aguirre when referencing that team. Need to also understand Aguirre and Isiah Thomas went way back, being high school rivals (Illinois championship game) and DePaul v Indiana and same draft going #1 and #2.

They were deep prior to that team,, but guys like Dumars, Rodman and Salley were young and still maturing in previous Dantley seasons.

#33 heypartner, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    tinman and don grahamleone like this.
  14. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

15. wesbound

wesbound Member

This is the sh*tty part of summer... ppl get bored and post before they think...

topfive likes this.
  16. BackdoorHarden

So deep we played 6 guys in the Playoff. So deep we played 80 years old CP3 over 40 minutes a game till his Hammy blew out again

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's proven. BigBum is Morley's burner account.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When talking about how "deep" a team is, I think after last season we need to drill down on the 2 types of benches.

1) Regular season bench depth.
    2) Playoff season bench depth.

You can have decent depth for the regular season to account for rest games and injuries. Guys like Gerald Green fit this mold. But in the playoffs, those "fringe rotation players" get exposed. I am not sure what the Rockets have in Ennis yet. But right now the Rockets have 6 playoff guys (Starters + Gordon). They need to get to 8 playoff guys. Hopefully Ennis can raise his game to be one of them. And then hopefully the Anderson trade can add one more playoff rotation worthy guy.

19. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Yeah I should have clarified more from last year. Not having a backup last year kind of hurt us. MCW is a decent pickup, though different than what I described. Seems more like a tall/lanky decent playmaking pg (not exactly sure what happened to him through the years ... maybe just too many superior pgs at a time when he was supposed to join them in those ranks). Not sure how his defense is either. But ya, better than not having one.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Cleverly disguised "Adrian Dantley appreciation thread."

OP knew exactly what he was doing.

tinman likes this.