1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

So it's not hard to imagine the Yankees losing. ;)

2. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I imagine the Yankees losing all the time. Great therapy!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

I doubt it. The A’s were playing the Giants so I’m sure about half were Giants fans.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I can see using the word "imagine" was a mistake :oops:

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right, but it's really "hard" to imagine a good team beating a better team in a one game playoff? Should be pretty easy to imagine since it happens most every day.

6. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Idk about that. I kind of want the yankees to make the sox sweat.

Otherwise the sox could easily defeat the other wild card team while were fighting it out with the indians.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sometimes, I think You and Nick and a couple others just enjoy giving me grief.

Since the employment of the current wildcard playoff format, only one team that was more than a 1 game underdog (regular season record compared) won the wildcard.

Whether it be Sea, LAA or the A's, the separation is likely to be 5 games or more and could be 10. So no, wildcard games are not won by the lesser team most every day.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/

8. Marteen

Marteen Member

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Never said it happened every "wild card" day. Just that most every single day in the regular season the better team gets beaten. I just don't find it "hard" to imagine any team losing a one game wild card. It's OK that you do.

10. Buck Turgidson

Not being argumentative, but your sample size is 4 games.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ken Rosenthal:

They would love to get an impact reliever. Not just a guy to just stick on the roster and be the 23rd/24th man. They want someone who can make their playoff roster & have an impact in the late innings. That defines Zach Britton. Problem is, every other contender also wants Britton. It's a furious bidding war for him right now. The Astros were down the road last year with the Orioles on Britton. It fell apart for whatever reasons. It'll be interesting to see how far they're willing to extend themselves. I'm not sure their hunger will be the same as other teams involved.

Next shoe to drop?

The next big shoe will probably be Britton. The Orioles would like to get it done early this week if they can. Whether they can accomplish that remains to be seen. There's so many teams in the mix, it'll take time sorting through. He's the next big name. This is not looking like a star-studded deadline. The best player traded probably already has been and that's Machado. I'm not sure we'll see anyone close to that quality traded in the next ten days but you never know. Surprises always occur and I expect to be surprised again.

Marteen likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Joakim Soria and Felipe Vasquez are two darkhorses I could see Houston trading for if they get outbid for Britton.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I expect a couple of names to get thrown out there. Keone Kela should be available on the Rangers. Not necessarily that he is great but there will be plenty of setup/potential closer types that become available that no one is talking about every year. Not sure the Rangers are smart enough to unload their bullpen though. That was Luhnow's first move to begin tanking was to trade solid setup/closers for value.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t fully buy your premise. We don’t need the young guys to be really good if we are all star caliber good at 5 positions which you would be with the core 4 plus Realmuto. You just need the other guys on the field to be “not bad” that are working for peanuts.
    This FO has demonstrated to me that they can draft and develop league average guys. Guys like Santana and Moran and Phillips and the kid traded to to blue jays I’m blanking on, and all the guys we have at AAA like Tyler White and Davis (and Kemp before them) that are probably all major league quality but not special.
    Scrubs and stars doesn’t work. Average and stars does. I think this FO can take care of average without spending for it in the FA market.
    I’m not saying trade away the entire farm. Im saying, flipping a prospect as good as Tucker and some other guys for 3 post seasons of all star catcher is something I’m going to nod along with rather than complain about.
    Holding onto Tucker also isn’t a no risk situation. He could bust. He could suck. He could get injuries. Stuff happens. There’s less risk of thatbwith Realmato and that has some value.
    Just like there’s some value in dreaming on Kyle Tucker hitting his ceiling. And paying him nothing while he does so.

15. Marteen

Marteen Member

Isn't that the guy who has an.....interesting relationship with his sister? Supposedly, she convinced him to fire Boras, negotiated his contracts herself, and he lives with her in the offseason. And he changed his last name to match hers.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Guys who wouldn’t cost much at all who might be able to help Houston:

Wilson Ramos (if he could be had for a 40 grade guy like Brendan McCurry they could add him as insurance for McCann)
    Brad Ziegler (could be another late inning option)
    Curtis Granderson (Tucker insurance)

awc713 likes this.
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Not sure I agree with your statement that that group of people is a bunch of major league average players. Among all those 7 former and current non-elite astros prospects, there's one 2-WAR season (Santana last year) and he's now in AAA. Most comfortably have a AAAA label.

There's a very substantial difference between a ML average (~2 WAR) season and what most of those guys are currently putting up (sub 1-WAR). I used to think otherwise but now don't comfortably think those types of guys belong in big roles on a championship caliber team.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

I’d be ecstatic if we landed Britton or Vazquez. Time to put our depth to work and make something happen.

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Guys the Astros should look to trade White, Reed, and Davis. They are all AAAA hitters, but maybe a different approach from a different set of coaches gets some production out of them. None of them are very good defenders, hell, Davis, might be a better pitcher than hitter. Not sure what you could get for them, but they have no value on the 40 man for the Astros.

20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Ok we all know Houston is interested in Britton but Jim Bowden is saying Houston is "all in" on acquiring him. Now it would be great if they get him but I hope all in doesn't mean overpaying for him.