1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i'm sure its been discussed but this thread is long...

what types of supplements are you guys using/if any?

what do you think of their effectiveness? it seems to me reading about whey, BCAA's, creatine, etc its mainly all about just helping the body recover quicker after workouts?

2. MystikArkitect

Whey Protein Isolate
    Creatine Monohydrate
    GNC Male Multivitamin
    Scivation Xtend BCAAs
    Glucosamine for joint pain

I’ve managed to gain 6 lbs and shred a lot of fat. Been at it for 6 months relatively intensely. Go to the gym 5-6 times a week and am in a bulk session right now so 3200 calories a day or so.

Pretty happy with the results so far. Will be changing my routine this week though.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Everyone who wants to lose weight needs to do three things

Control CICO(calories in and calories out)

Stop drinking

IF(intermittent fast 20-4 or 23-1)

And you will have weight loss and lots of it.

astros99 likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i hired a professional bball trainer a few months ago. 3x per week. mix of weight training for explosion, some pilates, specific stretching, and lots of f'n suicides. at the court they think i must be on PED's now.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

So my wife one day brought up the idea of starting the Keto diet. I didnt want her to do it alone so I decided to join her.

We cut out carbs (less than 30 g of carbs a day) and we stopped drinking sodas. The first 5 days or so were AWFUL, especially the 2nd day. I had a horrendous headache and I honestly felt like I was on the verge of throwing up and passing out. We persevered, though. After that first week it got a million times better.

I've lost 25 lbs and I havent felt this good since I was in college 8 years ago. I used to feel completely miserable after eating and if I had a day off from work you could bet I was taking a nap after a meal. I would wake up in the morning still tired, but now I basically jump out of bed. I fit into jeans I havent worn in years while the ones I have been wearing would almost fall off if I didnt have a belt.

That's not to say it has been perfect though. We have slipped from time to time. For instance, one night we went to see a band play. I had a few drinks (more than a few, honestly) and we went to IHOP afterwards, where I ate more pancakes than I ever have. That set me back a bit.

Also, some days finding something to eat is quite a struggle because you run out of things. I cant eat bread-less burgers and grilled chicken salads every day. However, we find a way to manage.

At the end of the day, I am so glad my wife brought the idea up. The most amazing part is that I havent ran a single mile or lifted a single weight since we started. I actually plan on starting that this week.

6. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Truth. Down 60 pounds this year so far. Cut out alcohol completely for 100 days. Now 1-2 drinks on weekends. Doing IF + Keto and working out.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I've lost 71lbs so far. Went keto in late November. Going to stay keto for good. Just remember, it's not about protein (in fact too much protein kills your fat loss). It's about: how the F do I get that much high quality fat into my body + being obsessed with getting low carb veggies into your diet in any way possible.

I walked like 1 hour a day for 5 months out of fear of big amount of good fats. Blood work came back insanely good - cholesterol and sugar lower than before. I was almost totally vegetarian for those 5 months too so the nutrient density in my food was insane while the carbs/sugar low. M body is repairing stretch marks in a way that medicine hasn't delivered yet - almost none left now. My hair, skin, nails look healthy as f. My memory has improved significantly. I don't get high/lows in energy or patience.

Recently I've started doing a workout routine that is NON-isolation (they call this compound exercises). I.e. I don't do things that only focus on one muscle (like BICEPS or CHEST) and I don't do a program where I focus on 1 or 2 muscles a day. The reason I do this is I find isolation exercises to bring zero longevity, shockingly little actual STRENGTH, and the gains disappear quickly. No one is going to lift 4-5 times a week for life unless that's their obsession. I'm not in it for the appearance. I just want to be strong, energetic and immune to disease for the next 50 years.

Clean n jerk, squats, push ups, pull ups, sit ups. 3 sets of each. I always run for 10 minutes before starting, and run 10 minutes after working out. I insist on finishing in under an hour. I do that 2-3 times a week. This is the kind of thing where you won't see big gains instantly, but you are getting stronger as a overall human being gradually. Lifting, climbing, pulling, running. I don't even have to think about it, this routine is just making me stronger.

#1287 Mathloom, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    pippendagimp and UTAllTheWay like this.
  8. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Stopping drinking and IF aren't really crucial for weight loss. Drinking is just like everything else. You can drink 3-4 beers a night if you want, but you're gonna need to skip lunch or something. I think it's mostly CICO, although I don't believe in measuring it too closely. I think everyone would be fine if they made healthy choices most of the time and stopped eating when they're satisfied. Getting a little exercise isn't crucial for weight loss but it is for your health.

Also, yeah, people really shouldn't be worrying about isolation lifts unless they're a gym rat, although I'm not a fan of criticizing anyone's exercise. I don't go to a gym but I do a routine with planks, pull-ups, push-ups, pistol squats, L-sits, dips and chin-ups. It works for me. I've gone from being able to do 1 pull-up to 2 sets of 12 pull-ups and chin-ups when I work out.

9. tmacfor35

There is a lot of scientific research to back IF. It limits insulin resistance most importantly controls your appetite without slowing your metabolism.

Drinking stalls weight loss as it is a form of energy that your body will use prior to digesting food. It also suppresses your fat metabolism. Alcohol is also proven to increase your appetite which in itself increases your calorie intake along with the alcohol.This is correlates with CICO for obvious reasons. Drinking also effects the quality of sleep. Sleep is an underrated aspect of losing weight.

astros99 likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

You should carb load once every two weeks. It will help with your gym gains and have minimal effects on your KETO lifestyle.

Keto's only negative aspect is its potential for a buildup of fat around your liver and the quick weight gain once you get off of it.

Either way- 71 pounds is amazing.

jcf likes this.
  11. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

You're making it all more complicated than it needs to be and citing a lot of stuff that isn't necessarily proven, see your reply to Mathloom above. Like I said, you can drink but you need to account for that calorie intake. It's definitely not the healthy route but it isn't going to make you fatter. If you know anyone who cuts back or stops drinking, because of drinking issues and not dieting, they will often start to eat more and gain weight.

12. tmacfor35

Your method will work no doubt.

But it won't work as well as people who digest the same number of calories without alcohol.

This is just a fact.

Plain CICO like you are referencing works.

But

I'm even taking in the assumption that people who drink will limit their eating which is the exact opposite of what alcohol will do to you.

13. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

That's true. And I'm not saying that IF won't work. I'm sure it does but you can lose weight without it and it seems like a daunting thing to recommend for a person who most likely struggles with self control. I'm personally a 1 drink per night person. I've tried stopping that completely and it has no effect on my weight.

As for your reply to Mathloom...Keto is about depleting your glycogen and entering Ketosis. Carbs can knock you out of Ketosis. Why would you recommend for him to carb load? Also, most Keto truthers I've read cite it as a solution to fatty liver disease. Why do you say that it builds up fat around the liver?

I like Keto. I think it could work. But cutting out an entire food group is hard and boring.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The fact is even though our physiology is no doubt in favor of fasting, it just doesn't work for some people psychologically. Weight loss books are not effective because they teach people science, they are effective because they trick them into doing (sometimes crazy) things that will result in a behavior that has them eating fewer calories.

The entire don't eat after 6pm thing was not successful because of the slight enhancement in blood sugar by extending your fast by 4 hours. It worked for people because they removed 4 hours of eating and thus caloric intake. It was a psychological trick.

Basically what I am saying is you have to brainwash people for them to lose weight. Just dishing out facts and talking about bleeding edge biology isn't effective.

15. tmacfor35

Keto typically fails long term because people end up going back to the food groups they hadn't had in a while. Keto combined with CICO is a great short term fat loss strategy I will say.

Gym gains will be much better with a carb load cycle every two weeks.

Its important to shock the body as your body gets bored with the same old same old it will not be as effective. A lot of Ketoers will experience long weight loss stalls and have had success going to IF or carb loading to recharge the body.

16. tmacfor35

I agree with you.

I will still voice it out to those peers willing to listen.

IF is in our genetic make up.

People gorge themselves these days at almost every meal.

Limiting your meals would be quite effective for the general public.

It takes about two weeks for your body to adjust to IF on whatever schedule you choose.

The hunger pains/headaches that go off because people trained themselves to eat every 5-6 hours disappear quickly.

17. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

See, you post a lot of decent stuff but things like this are just nonsense.

18. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Right. I'm totally in favor of Keto and have done it myself but it's along these same lines. You're eliminating an entire food group. I'm sure there are benefits to eating a ton of meat and vegetables and nothing else. But there are other things you don't realize until you try Keto. You're not going to eat out much because it's really hard to find Keto meals out at restaurants. You'll get tired of eating the same things over and over- salad and boiled eggs, anyone? At certain points, I was still hungry but was so tired of eating the same things that I'd just give up and not eat anything.

The truth is what no one wants to hear...you just need to eat less food.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Gotta confuse the body. Whatever it takes. Skip leg day and eat pizza. Right babe?

RIP piano man.

20. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Not really. Once you get the hang of it, you can pretty much modify whatever to still be keto. Burger without the buns, fajitas at mexican restaurants..etc.