1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd round players or Cheap young guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bevo202, Jun 17, 2018.

1. bevo202

bevo202 Member

Instead of adding old veterans who cant play Black, Johnson, etc. Why not buy a couple 2nd round picks or sign some young guys who are trying to build up their value (KCP or someone similar).

D-rock likes this.
  2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Could you imagine if Zhou Qi lived up to his potential?

A quick tall freakishly long power forward who can block,defend and hit the 3 ball

Paul/Harden/Tucker/Qi/Capela-- that could be an amazing starting 5 line up

ughh why can't Qi live up to his potential? :( His potential complements the team perfectly. It's exactly what we need. We have the player we need, he just needs to tie his skills together/adapt to the pace of NBA play and develop the communication required for the NBA game.

We need him now though, not in 2 years.

#2 Realjad, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Let's give him some more time. Capela was a huge project who worked his tail off and had some very good coaching/mentoring. Zhou may yet prove to be that very unique talent we can blend into the lineup. That is, if he's not traded.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love this idea!

Especially if Rockets have to gut team to acquire LBJ. Will need to surround Harden-Paul-Lebron-Clint with BOTH vet min players and high upside athletic young talent.

2nd rounders with high upside and versatility:

Jarred Vanderbuilt - 6'9 215
    Grayson Allen - 6'4 200
    Svi Mykhailiuk - 6'8 210
    Shake Milton - 6'6 190
    Justin Jackson - 6'7 230
    Rodions Kurucs - 6'9 220
    Keith Bates-Diop - 6'8 225
    Isaac Bonga - 6'9 200
    Dzanan Musa - 6'9 195
    Hamidou Diallo - 6'5 195
    Chimezie Metu - 6'10 220
    Raymond Spalding - 6'10 220
    Ken Hervey - 6'8 215
    Rawle Atkins - 6'4 220

#4 D-rock, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    BigMaloe likes this.
  5. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I would do that sounds like a good Idea but also looking at the Pg play I would look for a backup point gaurd or C point gaurd play in the finals were bad when cp3 went down it was bad so that why i say look for a back up point then look for a good back up C in the second round there are good back up point gaurds like devonte graham and Allonzo Trier Malik Newman the one C i see that is good in the second is Brandon McCoy

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Speaking for 2nd rounders.

BigMaloe, saleem and D-rock like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

our roster is old and not so athletic. i'm all for bringing in some young blood for the end of the bench

saleem and D-rock like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Brunson, even though he is not very quick. I feel he is good enough to be a decent backup PG. He is not just a safe pick, in my opinion.

Javon is like Pat Bev, but Brunson is more skilled and is a better player.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Grayson Allen is gonna Ben a roclet. B

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

problem is you might have to add cash for someone to take andersons contract. and we don't know what that deal will be until after the draft.

if you spend your cash on draft night it might mean you can't unload anderson in a lebron deal. imagine if that cost you lebron!

otherwise i love this idea for next year. we should always have 2-3 guys on rookie deals that we are farming. keeps the roster salary low and our team will replenish role players instead of overpaying them as vets. this summer might not be the right time to do to that since we have to offload anderson.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

are you crazy? Rookies? MDA isn't gonna play rookies.... you're just locking yourself into a short rotation. lol

bilaal14 likes this.
  12. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I’d be fine with G Allen as another perimeter shooter but I think Chimezie Metu and Shake Milton are steals.

Shake was injured his senior season so he missed out on the NCAA tournament this year but he was amazing the year before. He’s 6’6” and an handle the rock. Reminds me a lot of Livingston for GS with his mid range game and athleticism. Metu is an athletic 6’ 10.5” kid that’s much further along shooting-wise than Capela. He’s improved every aspect of his game every year on the court. Specifically, he went from a 50% FT shooter to 73%. He can rebound and has the athleticism to catch lob passes from CP3 and Harden. He’s also a shot blocker.

I do like Brunson, too. He’s not real quick but he’s tough as nails, has a high basketball IQ, plays solid D, and has a pretty good outside shot (38 % on 3’s). He kind of reminds me of larger versions of VanVleet with Toronto.

saleem and Why not? like this.
  13. Zo Gi

Zo Gi Member

Chimezie Metu will be the steal of this draft! Watch!! I hope he's there when the Rockets pick at 46.

saleem likes this.
  14. bevo202

bevo202 Member

Then get rid of him, nearly every other playoff team had rookies in their rotation, at worst they should be athletic enough to switch, defend etc unlike Anderson,Nene, Johnson etc.