1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Trade Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coach E, Jun 8, 2018.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If he opts in he'll get paid $35,607,968 next year for whatever that's worth.

Why not? and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It's not SnT, its opt-in and trade. The two are entirely different and the Cavs are open to doing it AND it is the only way we are getting LBJ. We are not gutting the team. That is a lateral move. We cannot sign LBJ using cap space in any realistic scenario. It doesn't work.

3. Coach E

Coach E Member

Ok opt and trade, same thing. He has to sign on for one more season with the Cavs.

We can use cap space to sign lebron, I have laid out that scenario.

4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

No, you haven't and its not what we want to do and the timing matters. I still don't think you get the CBA. SnT hard caps us from doing any other deals. Again, we are a team operating above the luxury tax line. The word cap space DOES NOT APPLY, we have none and aren't using it. Salary matching in trades and luxury tax does. Our rights become very limited. We can only make trades, retain players with rights, sign one player to a $5.4 MLE, or vet min. We will have to sign CP3 to the max and Capela to probably around 20M and other players. We need that flexibility which means we have to trade Ryno's contract and picks and only have a couple of targets to effectively use it against, PG13 or LBJ. Players that can make 35M are not magically going to take 15M when they don't have to. LBJ makes more by opting in than he does by even SnT. The rules here are convoluted and complicated and the language and way you do it matters unlike any other sport. There's a logic to it but it is like a puzzle.

5. htown7829

htown7829 Member

Morey isn’t trading Gordon unless he’s been told by Paulo George or Lebron that they want to come here

Pizza_Da_Hut and luckyman76 like this.
  6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Oh that I knew (still good info to have on hand) but I could have sworn FAs are eligible for 120% pay raise on their next contract. Hence why he did the 1+1's with Cleveland.

Edit: sorry contract value is 120% or a 20% pay raise per year.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm guessing you mean if he signs an extension he can get 20% extra? If he opted out and signed an extension, I think the cards are no longer in his hands. If he says, "Lose me for nothing or trade me to Houston because I'm going to Houston either way" then he holds the cards. If he opts out it becomes Houston's max salary vs. elsewhere's max salary and we're likely to lose that battle. I think someone said the only way we can do that is if we release everyone and then offer him 13 million.

If he wants to be in Houston and not take a huge pay cut, I think he has to opt in. So because I'm a complete homer and 'know' LeBron is coming to Houston in my Rocket Red Heart, I 'know' his salary next year already. :)

Tilman owes James 35 mil and he's already happy about it!

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Lmao forreal, I don’t understand this mindset at all. Like many have said, Gordons contract gives us little cap relief, we still wouldn’t be able to sign Bron upfront.

Coming into this thread, I was thinking someone gathered a bunch info with potential spot for us to either dump Ryno with Gordon and get something above average back, or upgrade by sending Gordon and pieces.

Yet here we are, in win now mode, talking about trading Gordon for mid round picks.

saleem and arabrocket like this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

EG is going to be devastated if he gets traded. He loves it here and knows his role even tho he's been streaky this year.

arabrocket likes this.
  10. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

EG is one of the few positive trade assets Houston has in any LeBron trade and he would surely have to be included in any “opt-in-and-trade” scenario.

However, Cleveland would probably find more value in a draft pick rather than another shooting guard for a Post-LeBron rebuilding team that will have JR, Korver, and possibly Hood still under contract. Therefore, rerouting EG to a lottery team for a draft pick might make sense, especially since we don’t know what it will take to unload Ryno on a third team for salary matching in a LeBron trade.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

That's pretty funny. A future first of our own is practically a second round pick. And Zhou is basically worthless at this point. Good luck finding a team willing to make that deal. Hope I'm wrong.

12. Zo Gi

Zo Gi Member

What if LeBron agreed to sign a one-year deal for the $19 million we have available and then we can sign him to a more lucrative contract next off-season?

13. Zo Gi

Zo Gi Member

We don't need to trade anyone. LeBron will sign here for the $19 million to play with his buddy CP3 for one year. Then:

1. We keep our same team from this year intact.
    2. We finally take down Warriors and win title.
    3. We sign LeBron to a max contract next off-season.

LeBron gets paid next offseason and he gets his wish in playing with CP3. A lot of people will not believe this as a real possibility. Just my opinion

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

LBJ's opt in salary for next season - $35,607,969

If Lebron is the part they add forget about cap space getting it done - there aint enough. You'd could have no more than $64.4m in salary on the books and would immediately be capped out upon acquisition meaning the MLE and vet minimums to fill out the roster.

15. Coach E

Coach E Member

Harden 30
    PJ 7
    Clint hold 7

44mil

Lebron 29
    Cp3 29

Numbers are rough, but close.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

if LeBron signs as a FA, then we don't have his Bird Rights. So where would you get the cap space to sign him to a bigger deal next off season.

17. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

How willing are other GMs going to be to help the Rockets land Lebron?

Why not? likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Assuming Both give the team a discount …. I guess its possible but the reports we've read say neither will play for less than the max.

19. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Lebron has 20 days to decide.. Will know something June 29 if he's opting in..

saleem likes this.
  20. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Just stop. This is not possible or feasible. That's five players. You are forgetting all of the other players under contract and minimum cap holds. There are rules behind this. About another $10M if you trade Anderson, Gordon, Nene, and other for NOTHING. This is not possible. The Rockets are not doing this. WE ARE NOT USING CAP SPACE.