1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you include Eric Gordon in a sign and trade for Paul George?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 31, 2018.

?

Let me get yall opinion on this

1. Yes

80.3%
  2. No

19.7%
  1. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

I think it’s a no brainer. When we acquired CP3 and there was immediate noise about Morey chasing Paul George, I’m sure Gordon was a part of that trade package and then he was going to replace Gordon with JJ Redick before everything fell through. Redick is a free agent again this offseason and thought he had a deal with the rockets last year before Morey pulled the fourth year according to JJ himself.

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  2. basketballholic

What happened to all those Eric Gordon haters that didn't want him when he was a Pelican and then didn't like the signing?

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LOL - bingo.

4. tc0330

tc0330 Member

If Ryan Anderson is included, ABSOLUTELY. Basically means we just traded Ryan for George, used Ryan's salary spot for George and now can add someone else without worrying about what to do with Ryan.

JoeBarelyCares and bilaal14 like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Anderson was relatively well received upon arrival..... says nothing about the circumstances now.

7. Coach E

Coach E Member

Bringing in another all star is huge, would prefer the king but would settle for PG.

Would trade anyone to get either tho

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

EG has been great for the Rockets. And I have appreciated what he has done defensively as much as his offense. But let's get real here. George is an All NBA Player. An All Star. An All defensive type player. This is the league of "switchable swingman." If you can get George (who is still young at 28) then you have to do it.

EG would be tough to lose. I wouldn't be happy about it. But the return is so great, you have to do it.

Honestly, EG is a great fit in OKC. And it gives OKC a "re do" after trading Oladipo. With OKC's cap situation, if they can get EG for PG or get NOTHING with PG walking, I would have to think they would jump at getting EG.

9. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I look at it as simply as some people get up for big games and some people don’t. Gordon gets up for big games. George couldn’t even get up enough to lead his team past Utah.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

agreed, and I’m honestly not sure how we even get a deal done without including him

What else is gonna entice OKC on this roster? I see no scenario where Paul George is traded here and Ego is still on the roster.

raining threes and Deuce like this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Paul George fills a similar role as Ariza. Luc and, to a lesser extent, PJ. He's better than all of those players, for sure, but he is similar.
    Gordon is not a point guard, but he is able to do some ballhandling/playmaking and is really our only option for that behind Harden and CP.
    So George, while an upgrade, would be a little bit redundant on our team.

That said, you do this trade 100 out of 100 times. OKC would possibly be better with Gordon than George (he might be a better fit next to Westbrook- possibly?) but I'm not sure if they would facilitate this trade even if it meant losing George for nothing.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The other thing too with EG for George is that it can be done WITHOUT including boat anchor Anderson. So it makes things more feasible. Anderson could then be moved for a player to take the place of EG (backcourt bench scorer).

To get LeBron you HAVE to include Anderson. You do NOT have to include Anderson to get George. Just sayin.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

just read the 1st 4 pages of that thread, and some of the posts in there...

my goodness

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

Did you see his playoff series when he was with Indiana? He almost single handedly pulled off upsets.

Maybe we could say "oh he didnt look good against Utah, therefore he doesn't show up during the playoffs"... or maybe we could look at a certain other player that he was playing with.

For reference- Oladipo looked bad in the playoffs with that same said player. He was an absolutely beast with Indiana and almost pulled off a big upset.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Umm I don't think you watched the Utah series correctly if you don't think George was doing all he can for okc to win

16. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Never too many wings who can defend AND who can shoot.

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well in fairness, he did play with a guy that took 46 shots. That would make anyone look like they aren't really caring...

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I wonder if Melo can also have a big impact in this scenario cause, if he opts out and George leaves, that gives OKC something around 20M in cap space to play with, there're no great shooting guards out there, but they might still want to go after players like Bradley, Pope, Hood that shouldn't cost a lot, or maybe even make an offer to Jabari Parker or LaVine since Roberson can play either the 2 or the 3.

If Melo opts in though, they won't have any cap space and they would be forced to roll with that team minus George, which would be a recipe for another first round exit at best, in this scenario they won't have any other way to get a solid player if not by completing a sign & trade with George.

bilaal14 likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ryan Anderson?

*runs away*

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Would love to have them both. But 2 fairly healthy seasons aside, you still have to take Gordon's injury history into account. *PG's was more of a freak accident. PG is the better player and he's a fine fit.

You also have to start thinking about how you'll matchup with the Celtics and other teams that have been learning to load up on tall, athletic "bigs" that play 2-ways and have range.

You can replace energy and scoring off the bench, it's one of the more common skillsets available.

The only drawback is Gordon not only allows you to rest Harden during the regular season without worry, but also helps when Paul is out. Replacing a bench scoring role is easy, but having someone who can also start for weeks at a time, that's tougher.

Rudyc281 likes this.