1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can JJ Watt come back to super stardom?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mockster, May 12, 2018.

1. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

lose b****, lose!

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

With the type of injuries he has sustained along with playing on the defensive line. I would say no, but I am hopefully. The crazy thing is though, Watt will still draw a lot of attention. DC will design all types of stunts directed at him, double teams, the chip block by the RB's, you name it. That's why I really don't see him dominating again. His chances of being lost for the season again is extremely high.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No. Highly doubt it.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not likely, multiple back surgeries are debilitating for the average person. What he is asked to do is likely not possible. I suspect that this will be his last season, and I doubt he completes it. Hate to be pessimistic, but back issues are the pits.

raining threes likes this.
  5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

No he can't... he's a damaged good unfortunately. He'll be serviceable at best and remain on the team cause of his rep and generosity.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

why you even bother with this thread if you know the answer yourself already?

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

Watt’s humanitarian efforts will be the only major headlines he’ll make this year, but he can still help.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That and all of the sacks and great defensive plays he makes.

Champs, texans1095 and Marteen like this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

THREE TIME NFL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YR YOU FREAKIN IDIOT!!!

In a game that is the ultimate team support and you think the Texans failures are because of one guy (and not even the freakin QB)?

"Never a superstar"?

You think you're funny with these countless knocks on Watt, but let me tell you something all you're revealing to everyone who reads them is that you're an IGNORANT CHILD WHO'S THE VILLAGE IDIOT OF CLUTCHFANS!!!!

marks0223 and charlieaustin like this.
  10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Why bother?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that I can't see who you are responding to but I know exactly who it is based on what you are saying proves that you shouldn't waste your time on that troll. His shtick is obvious and it is played out. Don't give him the response he's looking for.

Uprising and marks0223 like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

JJ Watt isn't someone I would consider a superstar, or maybe star power isn't that great on defense as offense for football. FTW rambles alot, but he makes valid points, IF WATT was a superstar how come we had a 2-14 season right after making it into playoffs the season before. JJ WATT has the talent and gift to have awesome individual records, but his playoff successes/team success is very lackluster, quite disappointing. He has name power, but I wouldn't consider him a superstar at any point of his career. It's not a knock on him, just on defense it's hard to be a superstar and have as much impact as an offensive superstar like brady.

Answer to da thread: No, he was never a superstar in da first place. He had the potential, but injuries and lack of playoff success = star player that could have been da superstar.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand football. Well done.

(might wanna stick to the GARM)

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What's your definition of a superstar cause that term differs for everyone. Just because I have a different view sure bash me for not understanding a game. I wouldn't consider jj watt a superstar because individual achievements mean jack sht when you lack playoff achievements/successes.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Unlike in baseball and basketball, there are no two-way players in football. That means a defensive end can, at most, only "carry" half the team. A QB, alternately, has no bearing on how the defense performs (by and large).

Blaming Watt for the entirety of any Texans wins or losses is like holding Justin Verlander accountable for the Astros offense on days that he pitches.

marks0223 likes this.
  17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Football isn't basketball. One player cannot lead a team to the playoffs and dominate by himself like Lebron can. Especially when that one player only plays one side of the ball -- and that side is defense.

Is Mike Trout not a superstar even though he's won two MVPs in the last four years because he hasn't lead his team deep into the playoffs?

If you want to say Watt was a superstar but can no longer be considered one due to lack of production from last few years, I'd agree. To dismiss his individual accomplishments because Schaub turned into a pumpkin is not a reasonable argument.

Htownballer38 and Houstunna like this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It was Hakeem-esque while it lasted.

Hopefully he and Watson stay healthy.

Htownballer38 and Uprising like this.
  19. JoeyTexas254

JoeyTexas254 Member

BIG FACTS!

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A QB can. Look at the year Peyton got hurt or Aaron rodgers. The colts went from a playoff team to 2-14. Other than QB none of the other positions matter that much.. A great defense can help you win a superbowl, but you need multiple good players and then you can't afford to keep them together.