1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Just did a quick recap and that's false. Özil didn't have a single good game in which he really shined or made a difference. Not in 2014 and not in 2016. His most memorable moment was missing a penalty against Slovakia.

That's ridicolous. Müller played poorly the whole tournament, only seems to show up in World Cups. But to blame him for the loss to France? C'mon. Schweinsteiger's weird handball paved the way for France, not Müller. Müller is the kind of extraordinary player that can score in the 90th minute out of nowhere even if he just had the worst game of his life.

What are you even talking about? Khedira played five games in the World Cup 2014 and five in the Euro 2016. He's a little injury prone, but still trustworthy.

That may have been the case some time ago. He just played a lousy season for Arsenal and like I said before has been a burden for the national team for years now. Just watch him jogging around with hanging shoulders, showing zero effort on defense, playing only safety passes to the backcourt and missing chances because of his weak shot. He can be great given the space against low level competitiors, but once there's a strong defense awaiting (especially in knockout games), Özil is practically useless. We're way better off with Müller in the middle and Reus, Draxler, Sané or Brandt on the wings.

I'm curious to see how Timo Werner will perform on this level. With his skillset and quickness he's a perfect fit for Löw's system and might be our undisputed number one option at striker for years to come.

CB? Like Hummels, Boateng and Süle? Wow... this is getting weirder and weirder. I would've agreed if you doubted Kimmich and Hector on the wings, but... seriously?

Ter Stegen just played the best season of his career for Barcelona and is ready to fill in. Goalkeeper is never an issue for Germany. Never!

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I stopped reading at your first line.

Just from the top of my head he scored the goal against Italy and also created another clear chance for Gomez which Gomez messed up.

Like I said, he was steady through out the tournament. As I recall, he either created the most chances for you or was the leader in that group for the tournament.

His body language is absolute crap and he has his flaws but the guy is world class and and there is a reason he gets picked by managers. He has great vision and he is one of the best at decision making with the ball in the final third.

You are letting your hate get in the way of objectivity.

Carry on.

ramotadab likes this.
  3. Raz

Raz Member

So finishing a deflected ball that accidentaly lands right on your strong foot seven meters in front of the goal is considered making a difference now. Way to go. In the very same match he missed in the penalty shootout, his second penalty in a row. Because he's mentally weak. You forgot that.
    And why do you mention over and over again that he gets picked by managers? He was rejected by Real and now plays for a decreasing Europa League team, because that's where he belongs, that's his level. Löw is only picking him because he tends to surround himself with yes-men, players and staff. That's pretty well known over here.

Anyways, no reason to argue further here. We've got a tourney coming up that will show the truth. I'm not afraid of calling it once again. Özil will be a non-factor, especially in the knockout stage, and only have his moments, if/when everyone else around is doing superbly and making it easy. He'll have all the chances to prove me wrong. Unfortunately.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Lol..

Hate is strong with this one!

Why would you want Ozil taking penalties anyways?? He is not very good in front of goal. That's not his game.

He wasn't rejected by Madrid. He was the assist leader in Europe while at Madrid, won the league as no 10, and was a Ramos penalty miss away from CL with them also. Mourinho had tough love for him but yes, loved him. So much so that Man United tried to get him from Arsenal as well, but he decided to stay at Arsenal.

He left Madrid because Ancelotti wanted him to split time and role with DiMaria, and Ozil didn't want that. The same time they bought Bale and Madrid decided to recoup some of the cost, and Ozil wanted out of the situation anyways.

Also, I doubt you watch Arsneal games. He wasn't horrible for Arsenal this season like you said. Despite injuries, he was actually that sorry team's one of better players. The guy keeps creating chances for other's exactly what his role is. For couple of year's now, it was pretty much Alexis and Ozil. That was the entire team. Those two weren't the reasons Arsenal has been poor.

But like I said, keep hating!

#1904 Zboy, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    ramotadab likes this.
  5. Raz

Raz Member

Never made a secret out of that.

So on the one side you classify him as a world class player, and on the other you admit his flaws and that he's not able to show some mental toughness and score from the spot? Makes sense.

That's one way to see things. The other one is that he just wasn't good enough for Real, so they replaced him. It's not like they're missing him or something. By the way, the stuff you mentioned happened years ago. Until 2013 or so he was the player you mentioned. Since then, not so much.

Always someone else's fault, isn't it? He's a key player for his team and they decreased for quite some time now. Don't need to watch a whole lot of Arsenal, I know his game and I know how easy it is for defenders to take him out. Just stand on his feet for 90 minutes, don't give him any space and he'll disappear, that's it.

Go ahead and @ me if I'm proven wrong. Until then, I've made my points.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Explains most of your garbage.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why so aggressive? This is not the D&D.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C'mon, this has always been a safe haven from D&D, GARM and the likes. We usually forget and forgive rather easily. We dun dwell on things.

This isn't McGrady and Lin material.

Raz breh has his opinion, and we are fortunate to have guys from Germany who are resourceful and knowing.

Yung-T, ramotadab and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Raz

Raz Member

So you're spreading counterfactual **** about Khedira, disrespect some of the world's best defenders, ignore valid points I made about Özil and then call me garbage in one of your one-liners. Isn't that nice. Like I said, we've got a tournament coming up and will see.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

The Berlin Wall fell in 1989 guys it's time to unite.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Disrespect some of the world's best defenders. Oh no! Calm down.

You didnt make any valid point about Ozil. Like I said you are letting your hate, which you admitted to, get in the way of objectivity.

Yes garbage, which wasn't meant as an insult, just that you literally have a lot of garbage in your posts. For example, you are ok with rolling with Reus of all people, the same guy that gets knocked out before every tournament with an injury. Khedira is injury prone as well. That's a fact. He has been for Germany as well as club levels. And then there is Draxler who despite all his potential, hasn't really amounted to much for Germany.

And then there is the fanboy in you. "Disrespect some of the world's best defenders" You mentioned Boateng, whom I had in mind when i made that comment. Do you realize that Boateng is a big IF for WC with his injury. Sule? How much experience does he have at a tournament like this? So yes, my statement stands that Germany's defense is a question mark. Especially with Nuer being a question mark.

Which brings us to your next fanboy comment. "Germany never has a problem with keepers. NEVER" . The other guy is still no Neur who I regrd as the best keeper in the world when healthy. And Neur's leadership is hard to replace.

With Boateng and Neur injury, yes Germany's defense is a concern. Not that hard to understand once you get past your fanboy mentality.

As for Muller, my reason of bringing him up wasnt to say that he sucks. I actually am a fan of Muller. But it is a fact that he had a horrendous Euro tournament but supposedly Ozil is the one being carried. Ozil wasn't the reason they lost. Again, you are letting hate get in the way of objectivity. Like you said, Muller not doing anything for the game and then scoring in the 90th minute. Similarly, Ozil might not be in the game but he can still make those key passes in the game that could unlock the defense. Which is precisely why he will always be selected. If there is one ball to be passed or a key decision to be made in the final third, Ozil is as good as it comes.

And then your ridiculous statement discrediting Ozil's goal. If it was all there is to it, perhaps Gomez and Muller could have tried it?

And then there is your statement of admitting to not watching Arsenal games but "just knowing" Ozil.

And yes, you can be a world class player and be flawed. WC player does not imply perfectionism. Ozil is WC when it comes to vision, first touch, link up, decision making and IQ. There are not many better than him when it comes to those things. Anyone with objectivity can see that.

Also, anyone with objectivity can also see that his attitude sucks, his body language stinks, he doesn't track back on defense (I hate those running stats people bring up to defend him), and you have to keep motivating him.

Ozil did not have a good 2014 WC tournament. This is also where Low had to shift him on the wings with guess who being inured right before the tournament (yep Reus!). But he still sucked. But other than that he has been just fine in 2010 WC, and the two Euros. It is ridiculous to claim that he has been carried like you said. Like I said, thats just your hate talking.

I am a fan of Germany but I am also objective. Their defense is a concern with Nuer and Boateng out. Their striker is a concern. Werner is unproven. You can be a fanboy and simply ignore it.

#1911 Zboy, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Almost forgot due to WCF - Champions League Final 2018 tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Always with the underdog and the Klopp!

#1912 daywalker02, May 25, 2018
    Yung-T, AroundTheWorld and ramotadab like this.
  13. Raz

Raz Member

You should have stopped, when you had the chance.

Mental weakness, zero effort on defense (avoiding tackles and body contact), weak shot, weak in 1v1 against the goalkeeper (that's new), not able to create space when he's defended intensely, strong tendency to disappear especially in big matches... all points I've made you didn't respond to, other than yelling "HATER!!!"

I never liked his personality and got confirmed just lately. I never liked his game either, but you won't find any negative comments from my side about him back in 2010 or 2012, because at that time he was a useful player for the German squad. So much for objectivity.

Reus has been healthy as of late. If he's good to go, there's no reason to leave him home, he's too good. If he's out again (which wouldn't surprise me at all), there are several options. What's the problem? Where's the garbage here?

Showed up lately and he's fine right now. What's the point of not nominating quality players because of injuries in the past when they're good to go right now?

Draxler is 24 years old and has played a total of 14 minutes in the World Cup so far. What do you expect? In the last Euro he was a starter and didn't particularly shine, but - other than Özil - had at least one game in which he really made a difference, against Slovakia (1 goal, 1 assist). I'm not totally sold on Draxler. If Sané or Brandt are in better shape, bench him right away.

Breaking news from the fanboy: Boateng is with the team now and will be in training next week, according to Löw. Germany's opening match is three weeks away. Not even mentioning Hummels, who is the backbone of the defense and makes life so much easier for everyone around him, just shows your lack of awareness.

Süle showed in his first season for Bayern that's he's capable of performing on the highest stages. He did great in both matches against Real, especially at Bernabeu. Other than him, Löw still has two more solid defenders in Rüdiger and Ginter available. One more time: If Germanys defense is a question mark, it is because of the wing defenders. No reason to doubt the CBs.

That's no fanboy bs. Germany always had highest level goalkeepers. No matter which decade you look back, be it Kahn and Lehmann, Illgner and Köpke before that, Toni Schumacher in the 80s, Sepp Maier in the 70s - or if you wanna go that far, Toni Turek with the 1954 championship team.
    'The other guy' that just played a fantastic season for an elite team in the best league of the world, won La Liga and for sure isn't to blame for Barca's choke job in the Champions League. Some other nations would be happy to start our 3rd options Leno or Trapp. Germany has always had the best goalkeepers alongside Italy, that's a fact.

Boateng will play. If not in the first games or so, in the elimination stage at latest. I'd be more comfortable with a healthy in shape Neuer, for sure. Still see no reason to question Ter Stegen. A lot of people in Germany actually think he should start over Neuer, even if healthy.

You literally blamed Müller for Germany's exit and that is ridiculous, plain and simple.

Never ultimately blamed Özil for the Loss to France, I actually mentioned Schweinsteiger in that context. I said in general Özil is a burden and the team would be better off without him. Even if Reus is out: Müller in the middle, Sané, Draxler or Brandt on the wing (whoever is in shape), Werner at forward. Excellent offense.

In 13 World Cup matches Müller scored 10 goals and assisted 6. Özil's production (2/4) is nowhere near that. Müller is the far better player.

How could they, since it happened by chance. Özil didn't create anything, the ball practically landed on his foot. He did a good job scoring from there, but that's not making a difference. Müller has single-handedly crushed Portugal in 2014. That's making a difference. Özil is a typical fellow-runner that shines, when the team plays good and creates space for him. But he's not the type of player that makes a difference, like Müller did. Or Neuer with several brillant saves against Algeria, or Schweinsteiger sacrificing his body in the Final, or if you wanna go further to the Euro, Boateng saving our asses against Ukraine. Even if we count the Italy game you brought up (which we shouldn't, especially since he missed that penalty later), that's one good game in 13 tries (2014 + 2016). Not the best rate.

I said not a whole lot. I watched some games and saw what I usually see from him. Jogging around with hanging shoulders. I watched him for over ten years now and it's not like he changed his game lately or added stuff to his repertoire. No need to watch each and every game to know about him and his flaws.

But it means showing up when it counts.

When given the space. Like I wrote: Stand on his feet for 90 minutes and none of what you wrote happens. It's not a coincidence that he consistently fails against the bigger PL teams, who obviously have the best defenses in the league.

#1913 Raz, May 25, 2018
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

...followed by more of the same rant, hate, and fanboy comments.

Well done!

You have made your hatred for Ozil clear but he is going to be playing for the reasons I have clearly outlined. You just have to deal with the fact that he will be playing for Germany for a while. Not much else to discuss here.

I can also tell you that if Germany does not win the WC it wont be because of Ozil but most likely because of the concerning reasons I have outlined.

#1914 Zboy, May 25, 2018
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ranking of 20 best players at Euro 2016:

Ranked #13

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...players-at-euro-2016/mesut-ozil-at-euro-2016/

"You probably wont be suprised to find out that Mesul Ozil created the third highest amount of chances for teammates in Euro 2016, since that is what he does."

Against Italy, a knockout game (yes, elimination game), against the team Germany has struggled against:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...mance-in-germany-euro-2016-victory-over-italy

"The 27-year-old was Germany's most dangerous player in the final third, carrying the ball forward and dribbling at every opportunity and attempting tricks and disguised passes to get the better of his markers."

"He attempted to unlock Italy's defence with 13 of his 20 through balls finding team-mates.."

"Shortly after scoring the opening goal, he produced an excellent chipped pass over Italy's defence to set up Gomez for a clear chance. Unfortunately for the Germans, the striker was unable to make it count."

"His work-rate was impressive given he had played every minute of the tournament so far. He regained possession 11 times in total, and his one-on-one defending was generally effective as he came out on top with eight out of 12 duels. "

http://www.marca.com/en/football/national-teams/2016/06/23/576bb727268e3e90138b4693.html

"For me he is the most important player in the German side," explained Miralem Pjanic, a playmaker himself. "Because he binds the team together and finds everyone in their position."

Man of the match against Nothern Ireland.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-group-stages/mesut-ozil-playing-for-germany/

"The premium petrol in Germany's ultra slick machine, Mesut ozil is what makes a good team great. Elite football is often about small margins and ozil gets the extra 5-10% out of other great players. He managed a 99% pas accuracy in the 1-0 win against Nothern ireland and spent the entire match creating clear goalscoring chances for the other misfiring forwards."

And also among the leaders in chances created for the entire tournament, which is exactly his job! Create chances for others.

Nice of others to "carry" him in Euros 2016 lol.

You dont have to agree with 100% of everything, or his positioning in ranking, but to say that Ozil was being carried in the 2016 euros is absolutely laughable.

#1915 Zboy, May 25, 2018
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Can't we all just get along?

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Raz

Raz Member

I could now quote former German national players that basically say the same things that I do, I could link Martin Keown's rant from just a couple of weeks ago plus some accurate comments on that, I would easily find other match reviews - like the ones you're cherry-picking - in which he gets squashed by media (especially from this season)... but what's the ultimate object? I've made my points and justified them, you're not willing to respond to most of my arguments in a grown-up fashion, instead yelling "hater" and "fanboy" is all you got. There's no point in going further here.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Keown. LOL! I can see why you would love him. The man has been hating on Ozil and Alexis to protect Wenger's legacy all season. Even Arsenal fans make fun of Keown the clown.

I gave you numbers, not just quotes.

Man of the match in one match. Good performance against Italy in an elimination game in another match. Overall tournament chance created numbers.

Again, hardly someone that germany "carried". Those numbers and performances go entirely against your original argument which was that Germany is carrying Ozil.

You haven't justified your arguments. Just these two performances alone, even if he was crap in rest of the games, and he wasn't, would invalidate your argument that he was holding the team back. Your hate wont even let you see that.

The player that was a big minus that entire tournament and had to be carried was Muller. He was a complete dud in the tournament and it was very frustrating because Germany knew going in that there is a striker problem. Needed more goals from him than usual and instead he laid an egg.

See, I get it. Ozil is a very divisive player. There is one crowd that hates him, which you are in. There is another crowd which loves him unconditionally which I hate also. The truth is somewhere in the middle, which is where I am at. He is a flawed player but excellent at what he does well. And since he does it so well, managers are not going to give up on that. Attack just flows better with him than without him, be it at Arsenal or Germany.

As an example, ask Alexis how he feels about playing with Ozil. Ozil understood him. His runs. His passes. He timed his passes to him. He timed his runs to free him up. Without him, Alexis is struggling at ManU. The linkup play between the two is missing.

#1918 Zboy, May 25, 2018
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, keep on dedicating one page to a meh player.

Eriksen has become the new, more lethal Oezil in the league. Talk about him or KDB will ye?

Pogba is a decent playmaker at United, Alexis needs to connect with him.

#1919 daywalker02, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sarri new Chelsea Coach apparently, nice.

daywalker02 likes this.