1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sci Fi Cinema] Steven Spielberg's 'Ready Player One'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 22, 2017.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Spielberg has this thing with science fiction. He chooses material that should grab you. He makes it look stellar. But he keeps it too sterile, something. I want his movies to wow me and I don't know if I'll ever again experience that same cherry high from a Spielberg film again. I'll have to settle on his more adult fare (where my wife and I are the only non-white-haired audience members in the theater, see also, "Lincoln").

And is this movie actually about virtual reality, video game sort of script? Or are there more dimensions?

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Where's the part where they go into the virtual forests and spend virtual eons fighting low-level virtual wild boars to virtually level up so they can take on the virtual boss at the end?

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's based on a book. Loosely the plot is about a dystopian society where the majority of the population spends most of their time logged into a VR Universe. It is expansive and you can do pretty much anything in it that you want (go to school, work, play games, etc.). The creator of the system dies, messages everyone connected to the system and sets up a hunt for an Easter egg he created. in the VRU. The person that finds the egg gains control of his estate and with it control over the complete virtual universe. The protagonist is an 18 year old kid looking for the egg. The antagonist is a corporation trying to gain control of the VRU so they can monetize everything. Add in that the designer was a big 80's nostalgia freak, so there are tons of references to things from that time period.
    The book is excellent, and I am holding out hope for the movie. My concern is that the book is pretty descriptive of the tech used in 2040 and I fear it will end up looking cheesy. Spielberg is referenced a good bit in the book but has decline to use any of his stuff in the movie. However, I have heard they went out and paid for licensing of a lot of stuff to be able to use it in the movie. I know there are a few characters missing in the movie and they also have the guy that plays the Mucinex Booger playing a composite character so that may or may not be good depending on if he is like his SIlicon Valley character or if he is like every other role he has had.

Jontro and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Waiting for incoming reviews.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

saw the name when i passed by the movies today, didn't feel inclined to watch. will stream.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think they said it just was not great but it had some moments and it should be above average to good. Or beyond.

Jontro likes this.
  7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. A fun movie. Quite a few changes from the book but worked out well.

Not going to spoil anything but one scene in particular was really cool with how they use a classic movie set.

I'd say 8 out of 10.

Bob Barker 007, mrm32 and daywalker02 like this.
  8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That was an old school fun Spielberg film. Quest 2 is a cinematic masterpiece. And my favorite easter egg was the Krull blade making an appearance.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  9. Progs

Progs Member

I oersperson loved this. Will be watching this again over the weekend.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Went today with my son. I have read the book he had not. We both liked the film. I love the book, and while the film was very different from the book, I felt like the things that made the book for me were still there in the film. They just were delivered a little differently. To make the movie like the book there would have been some long gaps with nothing really going on. The changes made sense and didn't really take away from the plot. I will probably see it again if I get the chance. If nothing more to look for cameo's. I know there are tons tha tI missed because I was concentrating on the story. If you enjoy 80's pop culture you will probably enjoy this movie.

Clutch and mikol13 like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loved it, especially the Krull reference.

DD

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Fun movie, but pales compared to the book in my opinion. Some of the changes were necessary cause you only had 2 hours to tell this story, but it felt too easy to me compared to the book, and lacked the layers and layers of depth you get in the book.

Having said that, my wife will probably watch this and not read the book.

13. likestohypeguy

Skews way early 80’s, the book anyway.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Stunning graphics and animations, story was cool too and had some great references to childhood music, movies and games so great stuff. 9/10

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I saw an online reviewers say . . . it is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory storyline .. . with Video Games and Pop References

The reviewer liked it alot though
    I was concerned that since I am not a game would I be on the outside looking in . . .

Rocket River

Jontro likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They are making a sequel to the book for the 1990's I'm pretty sure.

17. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it, a lot of fun and some great set pieces/imagery. Will have to read the book now.

18. mikus

mikus Member

I loved it. I agree with the changes made from the book to make it more cinematic, but I feel like it kept the spirit of the book. Also very timely is the discussion around how some corporations want to use predatory monetization practices around games and the Internet.

arkoe likes this.
  19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

My wife and I both enjoyed it (I've read the book, she no), and I anticipated major changes from the book, but was pleased that it kept the spirit of the story intact. The cgi and action and pop references were great. The only downside though, and reflects on the changes made, is that the character development was a bit weak compared to the book. So the first half of the movie I was loving it, but the second half I was having a bit of an issue with some things. Now, unlike say, World War Z, I think I can come around to some of those story differences and I definitely want to see it again. And I did enjoy the changes they made to the key quests; the ones from the book wouldn't have worked well at all on film.

Solid fun, but still doesn't match up to Spielberg's iconic films.

Clutch and arkoe like this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do love me some Minority Report though.