1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros 2018 Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Mar 20, 2018.

?

How far will they go?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2018.
  1. World Series Champions

49 vote(s)
    89.1%
  2. ALCS Champions

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. ALDS Champions

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. ALDS Losers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Miss Playoffs

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets see what you think. I also encourage posts (with URL links) to what others are saying.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

texans1095 likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That was also a "bold prediction" article.

No one picked us last year. It's really hard to imagine us not back in at least the ALCS. From that point, who knows? Right now, we've done all the right things and by all appearances, should avoid a prolonged hangover (like the Cubs last year). I feel like we have the best chance at being a repeat champ than most of the recent WS winners. The makeup and depth of this team just screams another 100-win season with another WS title.

rocketsfan611 likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All true. But part of what i wanted to do here is get a sense of those perceptions outside of Houston. Only trolls will vote the 4th or 5th options in the poll.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

DuBose likes this.
  10. pw1993

pw1993 Member

If Hinch doesn't step off the gas in September (which he may well do if the Astros are leading the division by 10+ games), i could see this team winning 105 games. The pitching staff is just going to devastate opponents. The biggest challenges will be avoiding situations where too many bats go cold at the same time, and defense.

Probably, Hinch steps off the gas in September so I'd peg the season win total around 101.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Today is Astros day at Fangraphs as they are scheduled to release their 2B and SS articles in their positional power ranking series. 2B article came out this morning with SS coming out later today. Basically 2B projection has Astros, big drop, Twins, Big drop, rest of the league. A nice little clip from the 2B article "There are many things that are good about baseball, but I would like to assert that the best thing about baseball, the thing that just puts it over the top, is the room it has for a player like Jose Altuve."

Rest of article can be found here https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-positional-power-rankings-second-base/. It is written by their resident Mariners fan so it picks some nits while trying not to appear to nit pick.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I think some of the players with career years last year regress, notably Marwin and Reddick. Correa leads the team in WAR. Bregman starts AS game at 3B. SP depth gets tested but proves up to the task.

Astros win 97 games and go back to back. Tucker and Whitley play key roles in the postseason.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We clearly miss the playoffs. Altuve is gonna get all diva on us cause of that new contract, Keuchel knows hes gone so he doesnt care anymore, Springer feels undervalued with Altuves contract, Giles is Giles, etc....

14. pw1993

pw1993 Member

To me, Marwin looks like he has made lasting changes in his plate approach which should keep his OPS high, even if it doesn't match last year's level. One thing to keep in mind about Marwin in April (when Yuli will be out) is that he hits righties better than lefties, whereas the opposite is true of White and Davis. So it makes sense to me to let White start at 1B on days when the opposing starting pitcher is a lefty. Yuli also hits better against righties, so a Yuli/White platoon could occur at some point too.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It took Yuli a while to get used to MLB pitching. Seeing LHPs less caused it to take him longer to adjust. Even including a dip in September, Yuli dominated LHPs in the second half last year. Provided LHPs ar required to throw him strikes (Price seemed exempt from this requirement), Yuli should have no problem dealing with them this season.

16. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Thanks for pointing out Yuli's changes vs LHP over time. I hadn't paid any attention to them to be honest.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Last year was a record-setting offense. This year, I expect a record-setting pitching performance.

18. Buck Turgidson

162 regular season games played, 7 months of fun, zero ties, 2 more minor league suspensions, more Altuve picked-offs than Giles blown saves, zero cannonshots by General Admission.

19. theimpossibles1

James Harden joins the team for July - September, leads league in every category.

But seriously... Astros start hot, cool down mid-season but turn it on BIG time down the stretch. 99 win season, win WS, losing only 3 playoff games.

Keuchel Cy Young.
    Correa MVP (Altuve runner up).

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Still can't believe they let General Admission's murderer be the mascot again especially after the mysterious disappearance of Junction Jack.

Buck Turgidson likes this.