1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All time all Rockets team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 1, 2018.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Anyone that would Tmac above Drexler is on crack. Chucking does not make you a starter.

2. TheresTheDagger

Clyde's natural position was #2 guard. That's the main reason Mcgrady starts at the 3 for me. Loved Clyde as a player...as an announcer...not so much.

3. fattz

fattz Member

Dream, Ralph, Clyde, Harden, CP3

CP3 is just to good to leave off the list with twin towers Clyde and Harden. Come on this is best of Rocket basketball.

4. rockbox

Dream, Moses, Clyde, Harden, CP3

I'll put Moses at the 5 and Dream at the 4 since he is more versatile.

Zboy likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

PG Magic Johnson
    SG Jerry West
    C Wilt Chamberlain
    PF Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    SF Kobe Bryant

Bench

Shaquille O'Neal
    Elgin Baylor
    Gail Goodrich
    James Worthy
    Michael Cooper
    George Mikan
    Jamaal Wilkes
    Karl Malone
    Gary Payton

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

1 inch height difference between them.

Clyde averaged more rebounds, assists, and points per game for career and had a much better FG% than McGrady as well.

Even past his prime Clyde rejuvenated the Rockets team when he came to Rockets as a trade.

He is the big reason the Rockets were even in the 95 playoffs after Hakeem missed games.

He is a big reason we beat Utah Jazz in final game of the first round series in Utah. We were down with a few minutes to go and he was grabbing rebounds and running fast breaks.

He is a big reason we won game 7 in Phoenix. We were down in double digits in second quarter and he ignited the team.

He is the big reason we crushed and swept the Magic in the finals. Magic had no answer to his one man fast breaks. The young athletes of Magic could not keep up with an old man Clyde.

And when he was young and before his knee surgery, he took the Trailblazers to the Finals. Twice.

Clyde never missed the playoffs in 15 years (I believe) but more importantly managed to drag his teams out of the first rounds.

The guy was a fierce competitor and didn't shrink under pressure, which is the very opposite of McGrady.

And unless Clyde is being asked to announce while playing, not sure why his announcing skills matter anyways. Besides, we don't even want to go into the number of stupid things Mcgrady has said over his career in front of a camera and made a complete fool of himself.

I am sorry but if you want to build the best team with the object of winning, I don't see why you would want to take McGrady over Clyde.

#26 Zboy, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    tinman and Patience like this.
  7. benvolio007

benvolio007 Member

I'd say a player needs to have played for the team for at least 3 years to qualify.

PG - Harden
    SG - Drexler
    SF - McGrady
    PF - Barkley
    C - Olajuwon

Bench:

Calvin
    Robert Reid
    Moses
    Elvin
    Rudy
    Otis
    Yao
    Horry
    Rodney McCray
    Kenny Smiff

I picked what I think is the best starting 5. The bench has a couple of players that are great role players and not necessarily the most productive. Horry is on the team for this reason, he provides a stretch 4, Kenny Smiff provides 3-point shooting and ball handling. Otis would make a great small-ball 5.

8. the shark

the shark Member

Have you ever heard of this guy named Moses Malone? He won TWO MVP awards while with Rockets (three total).

So when spew "come on this is the best of Rocket basketball" it's very apparent that you have NO idea what you're talking about.

D-rock likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude. People think Tupac is old school now. You have to realize that Rockets History, especially pre Les Alexander days, have been purposely erased from the modern world.

the shark likes this.
  10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

How many of y’all were around for the San Diego Rockets?

Rick Adelman
    Elvin Hayes

????

11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Replace Barkley with Horry.

12. the shark

the shark Member

I wasn't in S.D. but I was a UH fan and followed Big E while he was with them.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

PG Chris Paul
    SG Clyde Drexler
    SF Rudy Tomjanovich
    PF Hakeem Olajuwon
    C Moses Malone
    6th Man James Harden

Hakeem and Moses are centers, but I couldn't leave either of them out.
    Hakeem is the best Houston Rocket, Moses is the 2nd best.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mergady would be dope first option off the bench in the last 33 seconds. The 2004 version.

15. rockbox

McGrady had a true shooting percentage of less than 50 percent while he was a rocket. Almost any above average NBA player could do what McGrady does if you allowed them to take over 20 shots a game.

tinman likes this.
  16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I would do:

Harden
    Clyde
    1st Ballot HOF - TMac
    Dream
    Moses

Snow Villiers likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Skip to My Lou
    Chilly Pete
    Upper Dekker
    Oldfella Harrington
    Amigo
    T-Swirl
    Snackbar
    Novakaine
    T-Rex
    Two Sandwiches
    Purple Navigator
    Greek Tracy McGrady

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Are we talking about the players' time on their team? Or their overall career/at their peak?

Malone and Payton were a shell of their former selves when they were in the Lakers. If you just included their time in that team, they wouldn't come close to making the all time Lakers team.

You could make the same argument for Barkley although not to the same extent.
    Drexler, while still very good for us, clearly had his best, prime years in Portland. He would undoubtedly still be on our all time team, but that's the only reason there is possibly even a debate about whether he would be a starter or not.
    Even McGrady. You could argue he had better, less injury prone years in Orlando

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Eldridge Recasner - PG
    Terry Teagle - SG
    Chris Jent - SF
    Charles Jones - PF
    Zan Tabak - C

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I threw them in at the bottom as an afterthought. Remove them and I'm still taking the Lakers over the Rockets all time