1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Must be a good feeling. Only mexcian hero I know is this guy
    [​IMG]

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You're entitled to your incorrect opinion, sir.

Rocket River and tmacfor35 like this.
  3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Saying it doesn't feel like a Cap movie is semantics. It was very much a Cap-centric story.

As for no comicbook movie living up to Dark Knight...man you could say that 5 or 6 years ago I guess...but I think you're not giving credit where credit is due. Marvel is putting out movies right now that people are going to be talking about for decades.

I'm not getting ready to get into a DC vs Marvel discussion because if we're talking movies, DC can't **** with Marvel right now. I'm not going to discuss this further because this thread is about Black Panther.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

My point isn't that DC movies, in the state that they are in right now, is on par with Marvel. I don't think you can point to one Marvel movie that is on par with The Dark Knight. For as many good movies Marvel has put out (and they have put out a lot) nothing has been as good as The Dark Knight.

Trilogy-wise, yea it isn't even close in favor of the Nolan's Batman films.

Back on track as to not derail the thread further:

I'm having trouble as to where to list Black Panther among my favorite Marvel films.

Currently:

1. Winter Soldier
    2. Civil War
    3. Avengers
    4. Iron Man
    5. Guardians of the Galaxy/Ragnarok/Black Panther

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

1. Civil War
    2a/2b. Winter Soldier / Guardians of the Galaxy
    4. Avengers
    5a/5b. Iron Man / Black Panther

Honorable Mention: Thor: Ragnarok

Just my opinion of course.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think any Marvel has come close to Dark Knight as a stand alone movie.

Civil War is spectacular, Winter Soldier as well, but unless you have seen the preceding movies, they lose a ton of their impact. Marvel's strength is in it's universe as a whole, not it's individual movies. That worlds biggest TV show effect irritates "film people" but for a fan of the genre it is absolutely amazing to see it done this well.

Dark Knight can be watched with little context for it's narrative and characters and appreciated as an all time great. Black Panther did about as well as any of the "establish characters" marvel movies have done, but even it's flow struggled with "too much to say, too little time to say it" therefore Kilmonger suffered. Kilmonger could have been all time great villain, but they just didn't develop him enough. For that reason, Black Panther, and every other Marvel movie judged on it's own solo merits, falls far, far short of The Dark Knight IMO.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Capt America - First Avenger - Solid 8.5/10
    Capt America - Winter Soldier - 10/10
    Capt America - Civil War - 9.5/10

Batman Begins - 9/10
    Batman The Dark Knight - 10/10
    Batman The Dark Knight Returns - 7/10

Cap > Batman

Rocket River
    I am not as big fan of the Joker as others . . . .
    Bane etc was definitely not the greatest for me . . .
    Winter Soldier and Civil War were just great movies to me that I can watch repeatedly

seclusion likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. The Dark Knight did have a prequel - Batman Begins
    2. Batman is FAR FAR FAR More well known and popular than *ANY* Marvel studio character

You can say it needed little context but the Batman story (and Superman) is so well know . . . ..
    I think you being a little disingenious here.

Rocket River

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What I think he's saying is that you don't need to watch Batman Begins in order to keep up with TDK. The Batman movies hold up perfectly well watching them on their own unlike with Captain America, each film builds on the previous one and other films in the Marvel universe.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You could have replaced Batman with any hero, and Joker with any psycho villain, with minimal plot changes and Dark Knight would have retained virtually all of its greatness as a crime movie

All you had to know was that Batman was a hero that protected Gotham, virtually everything else was laid out in the movie.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm saying that the only reason that is . .. is because Batman is such a part of the pop culture .. . .you already *know* batman begin's whole story

Rocket River

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will agree to disagree

Rocket River

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with that completely. Marvel has never topped Dark Knight, but DC is pretty awful outside of the Nolan Batman films. Marvel is consistently good, even when Marvel puts out a movie that isn't great, it's still better than anything DC has done outside of the Nolan Batman films. Even Black Panther is a pretty good movie despite it being a flawed movie with CG that is occasionally reminiscent of Spider-man 3 or the Star Wars prequels. Think about it, what's the worst MCU movie? Most people say either Thor 2 or either Iron Man 2 or 3, and I'd pick watching any of those movies again over watching Suicide Squad or BvS again.

DC has the best overall movie with Dark Knight, but the MCU puts out consistently quality movies.

Layz Balla likes this.
  14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's insane. Those performances from both Bale and Ledger are what rose the movie over the top.

If you replace them with Ben Affleck and Jared Leto, I doubt you'd have the same sentiment. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Jontro likes this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

This is what I was afraid of, can we keep the topic to how awesome Black Panther is?

Jontro likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed!!!

I think everyone performed so well

Micheal B was fantastic and fit the role so well
    This is IMO Lupita's best acting job to date
    Michonne showed more range than I was use too
    and Everyone loves Shuri

Rocket River

seclusion likes this.
  17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Definitely.

I loved it. Of course it had it's portions where there were lulls in the movie, but the thing that picked it up was that those lulls were still telling the story.

It's crazy how (its seems) T'Challa had his father up on a pedestal when in reality he made his mistakes (some far worse than others) just as anyone else from Wakanda could have. I love how that emotion and anger led to the decision that Wakanda was going to come out of hiding, so to speak, from the world. He's destined to become his own man and King of Wakanda.

I'm going back to watch it this weekend with my son. I think he'll enjoy it just as much as my wife did, which almost never happens. Ever.

seclusion likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Someone pointed out why Killmonger is one of if not the best villian . . . . . .. .
    BECAUSE HE CHANGED THE HERO

Rocket River

Jontro likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Loved it, probably number 3 on my solo Marvel movie list. Number 6 overall, maybe number 5, it's right there with Iron Man.

1.Avengers
    2.Guardians
    3.Civil War
    4.Winter Soldier
    5.Iron Man
    6.Black Panther

I can't help but wonder how much more I would have enjoyed it if not for the hyperbole hype before the movie. I was waiting for something to truly elevate it beyond Marvels typical formula. I came away really liking it, but somehow a little disappointed at the same time

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think it is what you make of it really. I don't think it is a world changer like some people have said, but it was an outstanding movie and it did a character that I've loved since childhood more than justice. That is enough reason for me to give it a 9.5/10 (it isn't perfect, some of the CGI was funky at the end).