1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's a pretty weak argument. Bev couldn't get a NBA contract either until Morey signed him. Same with Beasley. It's all about fit. Stauskas didn't fit on the Kings, fits better on 76ers. Would be even better fit on Rockets.

And if Stauskas is NBA rotation player but Brewer is not then I'm not sure what definition you're using. Brewer logs heavy rotation minutes, done so his entire career. Same cannot be said about Stauskas.

2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

do not want, dont touch my harrell and dekker.

BigggReddd likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Fredette had 5 years in the NBA before finally being shut out. Beasley signed for the minimum for a desperate Rockets team where his close friend was a star player. These are seriously terrible examples.

Stauskas was a rookie on the Kings and looks improved since then. If anything, he was a better fit for the Kings with a dominant big man who can pass the ball. But he needed to improve, and he did. On the Sixers, he's just hitting open shots and has a better handle than you would expect from a shooter.

As for Brewer, of course he is not an NBA rotation player. That's why we have to pay someone on top of his production to take his contract. His contract is seen as dead money. We run a lot, we attack the basket a lot, we have great spacing, there is no reason this team is not a good fit for Brewer. However he's a poor defender, a selfish offensive player and a well below average scorer. His only value is that he works hard, but it is not translating to anything decent. Stauskas can do one thing very well, which is shoot. At the same price, 10 out of 10 GM's would take Stauskas today. If Stauskas made $7m per year for 2 seasons like Brewer, the Sixers would not trade straight up. And we're talking about a player that has had 40 good games on a pretty shitty team. Who the hell cares what Brewer did once upon a time, we've been waiting over a year for him to do that again and he simply can't.

There are few, if any, worse players than Brewer in the league making more than rookie/minimum. He's easily in the bottom 50 out of 450 players and he is likely to get worse while Stauskas is likely to get better.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Only thing I can make work would be:

Brewer
    Ennis
    McDaniels
    Harrell
    Dekker
    2017 #1

for

Milsap

Not sure I would pay that for a rental of Milsap and also not sure I would pony up a max deal for a 32 year old player either, but it makes things interesting.

Beverey / Brown
    Harden / Gordon
    Ariza / Wiltjer
    Anderson / Milsap
    Capella / Nene / Onuaku

charlieaustin likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Subtract the extra l from Capella to make it Capela, and add that l to Milsap to make it Millsap. Then that will look better.

6. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

people wanting to gut the bench are ridiculous...our bench has been expanding on leads when harden is out...and you want to trade dekker and harrell for that?

7. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yes.....probably not happening. Wiltjer would not make a good SF. I would find a SF in the D-League;
    but as a 3rd stringer more or less.

8. RocketsFanBrian

I heard that Korver is also available. He would be great here. Imagine him shooting Brewers wide open threes.

9. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Again, as long as no rotation players outside of Brewer are involved. Atl. would probably want one of Trez or Decker and I say no.

saleem and ilovehtownbb like this.
  10. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

I think we have to trust Morey to trade/draft for someone similar in production, but cheaper in price.

Unless he specifically forces his team to trade him here for peanuts, any piece besides minus KJ, Brewer, Ennis and Brown is too integral to us THIS season.

I know we want to win the championship and we are hopeful for a deep playoff run, but we need to kick some ass this season so that we can attract free agents and capitalize for the next 2-3 seasons thereafter. Harden is still going to be in his prime for a long time and while we can't waste any of it, we shouldn't sell the farm for a one-shot opportunity.

#290 Lunareste, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  11. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Oh god, please no.

vtjsr2, D-rock, Plowman and 3 others like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think we could get Korver for Brew McDaniels and a pick.

Maybe even Brewer and Ennis and a pick.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Only for picks, granny shot, KJ, Ennis, Wiltjer, and the Chinese guy we drafted. I didn't think this roster had the ability to play THIS well this early in the season at the start of the season. But now that I've witnessed it consistently over the first third of the season, I'm not willing to shake anything up. I'm even in favor of keeping Brewer.

ksny15, sammy and ilovehtownbb like this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know it's been mentioned, but perhaps is being ignored, that Paul Millsap makes $20,000,000 or so.

Brewer makes about $8,000,000. KJ McDaniels makes, what, $3,000,000? Tyler Ennis not much more than a million maybe.

Since we aren't likely to trade Ariza or Ryno and no way in hell we trade Gordon, let alone Patrick Beverly.....I don't know, you'd have to dance around the Trade Machine for awhile to make this work, even with a third team.

craguin, Codman and malakas like this.
  15. trilliamz

trilliamz Member

Don't need to trade for Millsap, he's gonna be fa after the season. The way this team is constructed we have 2 ways to be a championship team.

A. Add another legit star WITH the cast we have now or...

B. Add more elite shooting...

This off-season I think I posted somewhere that ryan anderson was a must get while everyone was worried about horford. The others are korver and Reddick. We get those two, we will have no need for a 2nd star, someone will be on every night...

16. threepointshot3

Kyle Krover would be the ideal fit because a small ball line up of Harden , Gordon/Bev, Krover, Ariza and Anderson will demolish teams from the 3pt line.The spacing for Harden to operate will be so great that you either foul him or let him score the ball.Not to mention Ariza, Bev and Krover are very good defenders.

One thing that i'm excited about is we are going to be a destination sport for sharp shooters thanks to MDA and Harden. You can be sure these sharp shooters are seeing how Gordon is thriving and thinking damn I want some of those open looks Harden creates.

BigggReddd, BigMaloe and trilliamz like this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There's virtually no way for us to get Millsap without gutting the team. That being said, if we could help facilitate a trade between, say, Atlanta and Chicago and net us a Taj Gibson while losing Corey Brewer (dump to the Sixers with a first rounder attached)........

1. Brewer and future 1st traded to Philly for heavily protected 2nd Rounder
    2. Atlanta trades Millsap to Chicago; Chicago trades Mirotic, McDermott, 2017 1st Rounder from Sacramento (owned by Chicago; top 10 protected) to Atlanta; Chicago trades Taj Gibson to Houston (salary slot filled by the recently departed Brewer). Houston sends the 2nd Rounder acquired in Brewer trade to Atlanta.

Atlanta ends up with Mirotic, McDermott, 2017 1st Rounder, future 2nd Rounder for a guy that they might lose for nothing this summer.

Chicago ends up with Millsap starting alongside Butler, Wade, and Lopez.

Houston not only rid themselves of Brewer (and the additional years on his contract) but don't lose any key members of the team AND adds a Taj Gibson that can definitely give you 25-30 minutes a night at the 4/5.

Do itttttttt

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Korver can shoot, but just watching Wiltjer play garbage minutes and his form I dont see Korver doing anything that Wiltjer could not.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Millsap is too expensive (talent-wise) for us to acquire. We're only going to acquire that level via FA.

Korver, on the other hand, is who I want. I also think Thabo would be a solid addition. Great defender (at least in past years, haven't seen him play this year). Can never have enough wing defenders, especially one with his size, length, and versatility. Could be an under-ratedly huge addition to MDA's fluid rotation.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member