1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video game] No Man's Sky -- Open World Sci-Fi Adventure

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think there is a LOT of room for improvement, right now it's pretty empty and there's not just a whole lot to do as weird as that sounds. You spend most of your time mining and going through inventory management which isn't a whole lot of fun for a lot of people. I think they could develop some really cool DLC's for this and make it a MUCH better game......and perhaps one day it'll be the multiplayer game they teased and failed to deliver.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

So...

This is basically Elite: Dangerous 2.0.
    With ****tier graphics and SOMEHOW ****tier performance.

I expected nothing and am still disappointed. (Strictly performance and content wise).

The exploration and trading is pretty good. I'm also naming everything variations of Harambe.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm reading that the PC version is getting ripped into for glitches... Now I'm sad.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well some have said "Elite: Dangerous Is the Game No Man's Sky Aspires to Be"
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...no-mans-sky-aspires-to-be#UdhwBkitBDfwjgdg.99

I've watched a LOT of streamed footage from the PS4 version and have seen a ton of glitches, some that merely cause the game to crash, and at least one that caused the console to hard crash. For sure it's buggy right now.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, I installed the game, the intro (I guess) started playing and it just sits at the "Initialise" screen for several minutes. So I kill it and try again. I haven't been able to get the thing to even run. I alway tell myself to "wait for the reviews". *sigh* lol. Oh well, back to Elite : Dangerous for now.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOLOL! I'm an idiot :

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...-skys-start-screen-you-arent-the-only-one.htm

7. RedRedemption

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Played it for an hour last night on PS4. It's OK, but I wouldn't recommend it at full price.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

This is pretty boring so far.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Boring is right.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

After having played this game for several hours and barely leaving the planet, I kind of like the game. There are several improvements they can make to it, though. People who are just trying to "finish" a game are probably not going to find too much fun in it. People that play Elite Dangerous in non-combat roles may like it. People looking for any kind of reality in the physics or in what they encounter on planets aren't going to find it. I don't like the fact that it's a bit "arcade-y". The colors are bonkers. Finding stuff is fun, but the most fun is when you get to expand your blasted storage in your suit and ship when you run across aliens or whatever else they may hide in. If resource-gathering isn't fun to you, then you'll be bored... mindlessly bored. I haven't done much in space yet other than travel to some other planets, shoot some asteroids, and dock with a space station, so I haven't gotten much info on space combat.

Once you start figuring out the game mechanics, the game is easy, but time-consuming. They say the "end game" is to arrive at the center of the galaxy, but to be honest, I couldn't care less about that. I'm just looking for more storage space... arrgghhh.... lol.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I had such high hopes for this game... bummer.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iZjTtRblwug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, certainly doesn't look like a $60 game ATM. I may pick it up on a steam sale in December.

My hopes for a legit space game still remain with Star Citizen...

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I ran into a planet today that was previously discovered.

I'm getting ****ing sick of mining gold and emeril so I have more slots to store more gold and emeril. But finally getting the Atlas Pass was very satisfying.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Im curious how planets there really is, 18 quintillion is obviously bs lol, if there really is that many its has to be replicated sets like crazy.

Also how devloped are the planets? Whats the scale of each planet?

Exploring the planets seems like a lot of fun on paper but im guessing most are going to be undeveloped/boring if not replicas or very similar to other planets.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The planets are varied in terrain, but what you do on every one of them seems pretty much the same thing. Gather similar resources for similar reasons, get words, find locations, etc.

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It's kinda been said already, but all the worlds are procedurally generated (as are much of the flora, fauna, ships, etc.). It's definitely possible that there are 18 quintillion worlds, though yeah they will share a lot of similarities. They definitely vary in size, atmosphere/weather/radiation, flora/fauna, resources, outposts, etc., but as mentioned, they can feel pretty much the same.

That said, after 10-15 hours of play, I found a planet that was like a tropical paradise. Most of the planets I've been on have been barren and nearly lifeless. But this planet had lush vegetarian and dense trees all over the place. Plus large bodies of water, full of life. There were herds of creatures everywhere I landed. I still couldn't do much different on this planet as opposed to the dozens I've already been to, but I did enjoy that feeling I got as I explored the planet.

Little things like that have made me really enjoy the game. I can see why a lot of people are disappointed, and I too would have liked it if they fleshed out some more things (especially given the delays). It could be so much better with some relatively simple changes I think. But I'm really enjoying the game. :)

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think the game is victim of its own hype.

I'm enjoying it. It isn't without some flaws, but the experience is still really cool. There are a lot of small things that just kind of make you go "whoa".

20. RedRedemption

This game and the procedural generation system is the victim of the central limit theorem. Way too concerned about the extremes that will be incredibly rare than the middle of the distribution that 70-80% will experience throughout the lifetime of the game.

They were way too conservative with the variance in planet generation. The animal and fauna I understand because they are more limited by base assets. But there was no reason to be so conservative with the terrain generation.

#80 RedRedemption, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016