1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Xbox project Scorpio.....is right now...spec faster than Project Neo. That is one reason Sony didn't show it at E3. Supposedly, Scorpio is designed for both Oculus Rift and MS Hololens.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice to get some confirmation about Skyrim remastered. It looks cool. There's enough to do in the game, that I don't mind starting it all over again.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Another reason to hold off is I found out PlayStation VR will be 1080p, the standard Microsoft is setting will be for 4K.

4. bigben69

bigben69 Member

PSVR is pretty tempting with not having to buy a new system but if you do not already have one and can wait then might as well. Scorpio would be cool depending on how much for that, VR headset, and a 4K TV. It could add up pretty quick to get the full experience. They know people will pay it though I guess.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There's no reason to bet a Scorpio, just get a gaming PC that's faster. You still get to play the same exclusives and can enjoy VR right now.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Dumb reply. A PC rig needed to play at the equivalent level of a console is more expensive. While there's no price point mentioned at this point I don't think Scorpio will be more than $500. A comparative PC will definitely cost more.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

By the time Scorpio releases yes you can. The rumored GPU that's going in scorpio is a modified version of the just announced AMD RX 480, and that card retails for $200. Once the RX 480 releases I bet you can build a PC for $500 that would rival Scorpio. By the time Scorpio actually releases? You might be able to build a comparable one for $400.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Awesome. $200 video card, okay...and the rest of the hardware?

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, sound card, OS cost, case -- that's more than $300.
    Not to mention I would be really surprised if that rig did 4K at 60fps.

Regardless Playstation VR is a middling experience, I think I'll hold off for the real deal (Oculus).

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/xbox-vr-scorpio-phil-spencer/

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The next biggest expense would be the CPU ($150), but after that most motherboards have integrated sound card($60). RAM is going to cost you $40 at most. Get a cheap $20 case. Total count as of now is just $270. Add gfx that's $470. Get a power supply that's another $50. Okay we are talking a bit more than $500, $600 will get you everything plus high quality components. Only thing left is OS...I'd say it's up to you but it's extremely easy to get those for free. ;)

$600 for Project Scorpio in a couple of months, but by the time Scorpio comes out I guarantee that you can easily spend under $500 for the same machine.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Unless I missed something, I don't think that's quite right. I'm sure they want 4K for standard gaming (likely at 30 FPS), but I don't think there's any way it could handle 4K for VR (at 90/120 FPS for ideal VR IIRC). I haven't really followed the latest high-end GPUs, but I'm not even sure they could handle 4K VR. And of course, no current VR headset supports resolutions that high either (they're all ~1080p IIRC).

Please correct me if I'm wrong cause that would be pretty interesting.

edit: Unless you mean PlayStation Neo when you said PlayStation VR. That could be true, though I'm thinking both machines will likely have similar target resolutions and framerates.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

So the difference between high quality components and cheap ones is less than $75? No, sorry I don't trust your estimates.

Anyway, not going to argue with you about this, agree to disagree.

While I'm sure Scorpio won't be anywhere equivalent to a top tier PC next winter, I'm sure it'll be a lot closer than consoles have been to this point.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Oculus Rift and HTC Vive currently support: 2160 x 1200

Multiply that times 2. I didn't mean to imply that Scorpio will support 4K AND VR simultaneously @ 60FPS (poor wording on my part), but as is that's a much higher resolution than 1080p.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What does PSVR's 1080p really mean though? My only VR experience is through cardboard and my 1080p screen phone. Surely, from a screen resolution perspective, what I would expect to see on PSVR isn't the same as what I get from Google Cardboard + a 1080p screen phone is it?

14. RC Cola

It's 2160x1200 combined I believe. Per eye, it's 1080 x 1200 I believe (vs 960 x 1080 per eye for PSVR). PSVR is definitely lower resolution though, but they seem to be more or less in the same ballpark to me (close enough that other aspects of the displays should be factor, though I think PSVR is probably the "worst" of the 3). I think we're understanding each other now though. Assuming Scorpio allows for Oculus (and/or Vive), it would provide a higher resolution experience. Period. The systems themselves would probably be capable of similar output (based on their GPU and all that), but PSVR would be limited to it's lower resolution headset.

And just for giggles, I looked and the 1080 GTX can't even handle 60FPS at 4K for most games, so yeah we're still a ways off before we can get 4K VR. :)

Well...unless we're talking about quad-SLI I guess.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It'll look better because the PS4 is more powerful and can power higher resolution textures, and more effects. The PSVR is also built exclusively for that feature so it'll naturally work better in general. I'm not trying to say it's going to be bad. What I'm saying is in order for it to work properly there will be some give and take, there are plenty of PS4 games that only run in 900P at 30fps. To think it'll magically be able to run the same game on (technically) 2 screens at once, with higher resolution, and a higher framerate (don't VR games ideally need to be at or above 60fps?), is a bit of well wishing if you ask me.

That's why I'm looking to the newer consoles rather than the current iterations.

16. RC Cola

I definitely agree that if you want to do serious VR gaming, you either need to do it with a beefy PC or wait for Scorpio/Neo. I'm sure there will be plenty of fun experiences with PSVR on the PS4 (just like people have fun with their phones powering VR), but you won't get nearly the same visual fidelity compared to those other systems.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How long did it take y'all to download 2k16 from the store?

I bough a 3 month plus membership today just for the free 2k16, and holy hell its saying it's going to take 60 hours to download, a hour in it has only downloaded 95.5 mb our of 7 gigs, and the estimated time just keeps going up.

This can't be normal right? I already tried to re-download and it's the same speed.

18. Poloshirtbandit

I left mine going overnight and it was done the next morning. Once the game downloaded I had to wait it seemed like forever for the files to copy.

19. Vivid

Vivid Member

I hope you know that this copy of the game only plays as long as you have ps plus.

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

PS NEO or Xbox Scorpio will be by far the easiest way to get into VR gaming......So tired of those "Just get a PC" people.... Its not that simple unless you are a PC enthusiast. As I have mentioned before, I have a gaming rig and don't use it to game because its more troublesome than just turning my Xbox on...... Consoles will never catch up to PC's in performance but in my honest opinion they don't have to. The same way that a Lexus that does not have be as fast a drag car. As long as the product Sony and Microsoft put out is efficient and works great there is no need for gaming pc's.....