1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Best' Possible Rockets' team for upcoming offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Screwedup91, May 7, 2016.

1. Screwedup91

Screwedup91 Member

Based on the free agents available this offseason, who do you believe would help to create the best Rockets team possible for this upcoming 2016-17 NBA season.
    I wanna know what Clutchfans think.
    Here's my team and why:

1)Mike Conley
    2)James Harden
    3)Trevor Ariza
    4)David West
    5)Al Horford

*Ignoring the blatantly obvious picks(KD,Bron) in this list.

1)Conley: Beverly is a poor man's Conley. Definite upgrade here. Solid defense, can play off the ball, dribble drive, playmaker.

2)Harden: Needs a cast that can be self-reliant. Needs a team that respects each other. If he can't lead, let someone else do it. In particular #(4)

3)Trevor Ariza: A pretty disappointing season, no doubt. But I think is Trevor still one of the top, 3 and D, forwards in this offseason. His lack of drive and kick ability leaves a lot to be desired from his offense, but I believe defensively, with renewed focus, he can be very effective for us. Plus we already have him.
    (2nd Choice: Nicholas Batum would be a good replacement)

4)David West: Now granted I just watched him play an excellent 4th quarter in G3 SASvOKC, West is a well respected and proven leader who doesn't need touches to feel important. Can space the floor with his midrange, solid D, rebounding and can hit the open 3. But most importantly West can be the leader this team needs. On the chance he gets his ring this year, maybe he'd be willing to be a leader for a team on the rebound.

5)Al Horford: Horford to me just makes too much sense. Can stretch the floor, year in year out All-Star, solid post scoring, and solid defense. A seemingly sensible guy, I don't believe his ego would collide with Harden's. Unlike a recent big man. Horford is an upgrade on offense and playmaking and maybe less of a defensive stalwart than a focused Dwight but is never a liability. Also, when was the last time you've seen a focused Dwight?

Best for Last, the bench:
    Bev, (maybe the return of JLin?), KJ, Marvin Williams(He's looked solid) Beasley, Motiejunas(better than TJ), Capela(He'll be ready soon).

Note:
    Did not not look to see if this was possible via salary cap, but seeing as it is about to jump a decent amount I figured whatever. Not as important to this post as overall best fit.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyuck

3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

david west as a starter ?

1 person likes this.
  4. Screwedup91

Screwedup91 Member

Yup. I'm just trying to think outside the usual box. I remember talking to a guy outside a bar a few years ago and he thought me wanting Milsap and Igodoula over Howard was asinine. I still would rather have them over Howard. I feel like we'd still have a team instead of a blow up right now. But to each their own. I'm not a GM of basketball. Make your own list if you don't like mine.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They should surprise us positively

6. rockets13champs

West aint leaving spurs for us

7. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Conley/Bev
    Harden/Mayo/Bayless
    Durant/Dudley
    Williams/Dmo
    Capela/Noah

8. trilliamz

trilliamz Member

Sign Ryan Anderson, trade for Korver when hawks blow up, after horford etc leaves it will be rebuilding time. Use remaining for either Whiteside or Noah. If K.D. or Conley want to come aboard then get Hibbert to backup Capela.

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Horford has too many <5 rebound games fo rmy liking

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

1. Bev/ Melo Trimble/JET
    2. Harden/KJ/Malcolm Brogdon
    3. Harrison Barnes/Ariza/Brewer
    4. Harrell/Beasley/Dekker
    5. Hassan Whiteside/Capella
    HC: JVG
    Assistants: D'Antonio (OC), Mario Elie, Patrick Ewing

Coaching
    Would have to work to come up with a system that marries JVG's crawl with D'Antoni's sprint. Elie and Ewing help to install tough guy mentality of 90's nba basketball. It would be nice to be an uptempo team that bullied in the half court when the games slow down in the last few minutes and in the postseason.

Bev starts and functions as a guy who plays pesky d, brings the ball down and spots up. Trimble is a Morey type player with a good shot. He can play with James or be an off the ball threat with the bench unit. JET is the veteran who plays spot minutes here and there but otherwise initiates his transition to coaching.

James is the focus of the offense as he has been. Coaching hires are meant to light a fire in him to buy in to being the guy from 14-15 rather than 15-16. KJ is key to a bench that relies on getting out in transition. Brogdon is a JVG type guy who'll be depth barring a surprise.

Barnes is the starter, hopefully growing into a Scottie Pippen type premier glue guy/jack of all trades. Ariza is 6th man and leader of 2nd unit. Brewer, unless he finds his shot, plays spot minutes as we play out the string on his contract. Deepest position on the team with KJ, Harden and Dekker able to log minutes.

Harrell starts as a poor man's Charles Oakley. Will need to add to his range but truly is just a rebounder and defensive effort guy. Beasley is offensive focus of the 2nd unit and Dekker hopefully is stretch four option. Weakest position group on the team.

Whiteside is rim protection and primarily a threat for lobs off of Harden pnr. Capela continues to improve under dream (and now ewing's) tutelage.

11. trilliamz

trilliamz Member

Sign Ryan Anderson big priority. If Horford etc leaves hawks, it'll be time to rebuild, trade for Korver. Next go after Whiteside then Noah in that order. If Kd or Conley want to come aboard then just go after Hibbert if we get his old coach from indiana.

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

This is the most realistic they can get.

Mike Conley - Pat Beverley
    James Harden - Troy Daniels
    Trevor Ariza - Sam Dekker
    DMO - Montrezl Harrell
    Clint Capela

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

three team trade - dwight, bev, ariza, brewer, dmo, and anyone other than harden, capela, beasley, kj and harrel.
    we get horford, thabo, teague, noah, and dun
    bulls send snell to the hawks. hawks send splitter to the bulls

teague / kj / goudelock
    harden / thabo / kj
    dun / beasley / thabo kj
    horford / harrel / beasley
    noah/ capela / horford

i'll take my chances with that team than gutting for ariza and having a tmac-yao esque supporting cast

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Dmo, Capella, draft pick
    Beasley, I havent given up on Jones
    Ariza, KJ,Decker
    Harden, Dudley
    Conley,best rookie point guard, Bev has to go for a change of pace guard off the bench

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

That be a sick team, but I don't think we have the pieces to get it done. Most of our players have been exposed as hot trash.

I agree that we do need to do what GSW basically did and surround Harden with a bunch of very good Tier 2/3 guys instead of trying to surround Harden with a superstar and a bunch of role players.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

it only works if hawks believe in dmo

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Harden
    Fournier
    Beasley
    Dmo
    Whiteside

Lets outscore everyone. :):cool::eek:

1 person likes this.