1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but they didn't have a better option at QB, if they did, he'd go back to playing WR. I'm sure there will be a competition for the job, but you'd think Allen has the clear advantage.

2. Nook

Nook Member

They will be open to everything (as has been the pattern with Herman) but no doubt they know there is a good chance King will be moved to a different position.

3. AFS

AFS Member

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He tweeted it out, it's official!

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Interesting, I recall Herman saying in a press conference he prefers dual threat QBs. Curious to see how this shakes out.

6. Mattj

Mattj Member

Not sure how you look at Greg Ward and completely discount a similar player's ability to play QB at UH. Ward is a GREAT college QB. Kyle Allen would not beat out Greg Ward if he were eligible in 2016 IMO.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Allen has NFL quality tools. TAMU did him no favors. He has an opportunity to become a monster if he fits in at UH. He might not have beat him out, who knows, but his ceiling is as high as they come.

8. 713

713 Member

Kyle Allen will tear it up when he becomes legal. My body is ready.

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Good for the Coogs. They used to be a solid team before they joined the SWC. After coming to grips with reality and distancing from UT and Texas AM shadow, and standing on their own, they are proving to be top echelon again. Briles and Sumlin used UH as a stepped not stone, not a destination. If one thing, losing out on good coaches showed that the Cougars are to be reckened with.

UH sits on one of the richest football talent city in the Nation. UH is also more amicable to the friends and relatives of the recruits. I can see recruits staying in town more and more frequently, especially if the team is run efficiently and quality.

Truth be told, Texas AM and UT cannot be happy, because even though they might still get 5star recruits, UH will be dinning on 4 and 3 star athletes with promises of starting. Most guys play football to play, not be 3rd and 4th string guys.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not worried about Herman leaving, at all. He's going to change everything at UH and he knows it. I mean, "htowntakeover" before the season even starts? That's some confidence. He'll be more of a legend this way.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

The way I see it, which many people will disagree, is that Tom Herman possibly wants to be the next Bill Yeoman, I think it'll be even a better look if he can rise a program like UH into a powerful team and P5 conference. **** you know how crazy it'll be if we run the table next season and with the right amount of P5 teams losing, the CFP throws us in at #4? and win the whole thing? That would make the CFB world go nuts, a G5 team winning the national championship - now i'm thinking ahead of myself.

12. Aware

Aware Member

Just enjoy the moment.

We are nationally relevant for the first time in decades and killing it in recruiting. Facilities are being built. If Herman leaves after next season then all we can do is thank him for rejuvenating an entire fan base and move on... really hope hes here for the long haul doe :)

13. MexAmercnMoose

get ready for the haters to multiply

14. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

they already are. look at aggie fans on texags

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not dismissing what Greg Ward has done, but a much smaller version of Greg Ward isn't likely to beat out Kyle Allen in a QB competition....and it wouldn't even be good for D'Eriq King long term to waste time playing QB when it's very obvious that his career will be as a WR. It would be much more beneficial to him to spend every moment learning as much as he can about the WR spot. Route running will be huge for someone his size when it comes to translating to the NFL. Either that or he needs to put on some weight and go the RB route.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be fair, and speaking as an Aggie here, whenever someone with potential / someone good / someone worth talking about leaves a program, there's going to be a cohort of people that are negative about it.

Just look at CF and Parsons, when he left for Dallas.

18. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

huge difference. kyle allen, and kyler murray didnt bash the city they left.

19. Aware

Aware Member

The 610 v Duarte and Berman beef is funny

20. OpportunityCost